The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2003, 05:01 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Firearms Safety Course

Zero Tolerance Watch

"When Nick Ziegeweid signed up for a firearms safety course at Winona Middle School earlier this fall, he was told to bring his shotgun," the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. "But when the 12-year-old boy attended his first class Oct. 11, school administrators and instructors met him and about 40 other students outside the school to remind them they couldn't bring their guns inside." Turns out the schools zero-tolerance policy prohibits kids from bringing guns to class--even to gun-safety class.

Somebody please explain to me how this makes ANY sense?
Joy

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 07:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default common then,...

...It used to be common place for instructors to use local schools as a meeting area for those who wished to teach the courses, however of late, many states, or local governing parties have enacted laws prohibiting such,...

...when I took my bow course again a few years back, it was at a local middle school, but the teacher had special permission due to be a teacher in that district,...

...many used to hunt on the way to, and from school just to add a quick rabbit, or squirel to the "pot" in order to feed the family, but with assholes in "Columbine" using firearms for outright murder in a school, times have changed,...

...Bottom line,...

...There is always a finger attached to a trigger, and that finger is attached to a hand, arm, body, and mind, and the "mind", be it with good intentions, or bad, tells that finger to pull the trigger, FIREARMS DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, people kill people,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-21-2003, 06:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Unhappy just no common sense anymore

I guess they will have to move the firearm safety courses to local VFW, American Legion or library's since schools don't have any common sense left anymore nowadays
Old 10-21-2003, 09:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post As far as I know.

Hunter safety classes in the state of Washington are held in private sectors. I don't know if I ever heard of one at a public school. I'm sure it has happened but I'm not aware of it.

Keith
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Keith : I took my Hunters Safety Course in 1976 at a public School in Salem, Missouri. The Conservation Agent was the only one with a gun Though.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My sons all took firearm safety from the Boy Scouts at school.
Joy

Old 10-23-2003, 10:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Jerry D

Old 10-23-2003, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I've said it before, if and when firearms safety is NOT taught in public school, it oughta be, right along with 3 Rs.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My take is that public school administrators and teachers have lost or are loosing all ability to make discretionary calls about almost everything. If I were to trace the genesis of ?zero tolerance? I?m positive I?d find a mandate that emanates from far beyond a district board, county or even State level. What may look just like a case of common sense gone awry is probably driven by some very harsh and narrow restrictions that come from on high. And I?m thinking woe to the administrator or teacher who gets creative or uses a bit of common sense on an issue as hot as this one. The news will be very bad for sure, no doubt about it. Around here gun safety is taught at the town hall and out at the range. I don?t recall any of that ever being in the public school.

Not all that long ago it was not unusual to see rifles/ shotguns in a rack mounted in a jeep or other 4X4 and parked in the High School parking lot. Yikes, these days a sight like that would probably cause the Nevada Guard to mount-up, surround the school and have choppers by the score hovering about. That along with every County Mounty around running their gum ball machines and doing a panic mouse deal.

Scamp
Old 10-23-2003, 07:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

revwardoc: here in Georgia up in Atlanta area in 2000 a little girl was suspended from school for having a Tweety-bird key chain attached to her Bookbag. The schools Zero tolerance policy stated all weapons to include Chains, knives,guns, and other stuff would resort in 3 day suspension. And I concur we need a little more discretion for our school teachers and Administrators to go by .Yesterday I heard water pistols all us kids in the 60's played with our considerd "GUNS" under zero tolerance