The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2002, 08:44 AM

Mine has always been, and most likely will remain, the F-4 Phantom. One baaaad lookin' jet.

The Old Sarge
Old 03-15-2003, 01:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I agree 100% with exAF the C-130 Hercules is the most dependable and versitile aircraft flying it can be built to haul, people,cargo,fuel,drones, and specially built ones are even known to fly sideways so always be sure to pass on the corect side of the Spectre :-) I have had the privalige of working on ones older then me and newer then myself as a Avionics Com/Nav tech
Old 04-03-2003, 08:38 PM

Default My Favorite Airplane...

Of all the ones I worked on I would have to say...C5 Galaxy. Fred was huge but oh so sweet. The craziest thing the AF ever did was paint it in traditional camoflage. "Hey did you see that forest running down the runway?!"

But my all time favorite plane ever built is definately the F4U Coursair. Talk about a flying tank! They are so sleek and loud!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 08:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Hey Dragon Lady have you ever changed a C-Dipper on top of the C-5 T-Tail. I changed one in Yakota,Jp and there was a slight wind so when we opened it up we sat on it to keep it from flying off the tail !We changed the ELT battery that way. I do like the C-5 better then the C-141 Starlifter (working on the back ladder in the T-Tail was an oily job with all that Hyd.fluid dripping down and collecting on the ladder the FWD ladder wasn't to bad but you had to remember to duck when you went up and not get the hyd. ram accuator cover to spill water and etc. down your back :-(
Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 AM

Jerry,
I trained on the 141s at McChord. I was ISO and had a love hate relationship with that darn plane. I'm 5'4" and at that time barely tipped the scale at 100 lbs. As a result guess who they chose for the wing root inspects? Oh and that back ladder was awful, but I'd rather do that than gear struts anyday!
I remember one night in Mid-Jan on the flightline at Dover. We were de-icing a C5. I hate heights! And the cherrypicker isnt high enough for the T! Had to use the Condor, that stinker swayed in the slightest of breezes.
I have a lot of great memories from my days, some tragedies but oh so many more great days! This mess going on right now only makes me wish I was still in and DOING something about it. But I guess now I will leave it for the younger crowd.

Catch ya Later.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-04-2003, 08:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Wow :-), we both had our share of time in ISO docks at McChord.I didn't like the way cherrypickers swayed also. So, whenever I could, I would get them to tow the 141 over to the M-Stand so I could change HF Couplers and lightning arrestors. BTW were you there around the time they remodeled Hanger 1 a several years ago and the contracters ran the main door off the tracks and the door fell? It made a big noise that day.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:47 AM

For me it's either the F4 (had an uncle that flew them grew up with posters of em plastered on my wall ) or the A10 I know its a flying tank but the thunderbolt is tough. And honestly i don't find it ugly like many people say it is.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:03 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I'm into older aircraft. I'd have to say my favorites are: P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair and #1 on the list would be the Douglas AD-6 Sky Raider.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 06-26-2003, 02:28 PM

Out of the oldies; Stearman Biplane, F4U, and believe it or not I really liked the T37. I thought they were cute!
The A10 is a hot beast of a plane with so much spunk! That was when planes had a personality. I suppose of the new kids on the block I do like the Stealth Fighter.
Oh and the dear Dragon Lady (U2) will always have a sweet spot in my heart!
President Ronald Reagan
Old 07-13-2003, 01:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Starlifters

Yo, Dragon Lady! You worked on 141's? So did I, but at Norton AFB in San Bernardino, CA. I should say the "late" Norton AFB since it's now San Bernardino International Airport. I arrived there in February '69 and it remained my primary duty station until my discharge in September '72, though I went TDY to many other bases (some AF, some Navy, some Marine, some Army, national and international) from there. I remember the first time I took part in a towing operation. It was in March of '69 and I shouldn't have even been on that crew since I hadn't yet gone to class to qualify. Ya know how you have to disconnect the nose gear steering arms, well they used my belt to hold up the lower arm but didn't show me how to re-connect them. When the 141 was towed to its proper place on the flightline I just went and retrieved my belt, leaving the gear disconnected. Later that day the plane was supposed to fly a mission to 'Nam but when they went to block out, the pilot turned the steering wheel in the flight station and it just kept going straight. Then the hammer fell. Since sh*t rolls downhill, guess who it rolled onto. NOT ME!! Once they found out I wasn't qualified to be on that detail they came down on my crew chief, the shift chief, the line chief, the flight engineer, etc., everyone but me. After that, I was quickly scheduled to attend every class they had available. Another snafu bullet dodged. My crew chief got it hard, he had to forfeit a week's pay and work his days off for a month. He then decided that my life should be a living hell for the next year (his last in the AF) and put me on every sh*t detail he could think of (greasing the gear and the horizontal stabalizer actuator, draining the fuel cell sumps, etc. and not just on the aircraft for which we were assigned, but for all others), all for something that wasn't my fault. Fortunately his actions were noticed and the shift chief told him to cut me some slack. He finished his last 6 months behind a desk.

I'd like to hear some of your 141 stories, too, since you're the first gal I've heard of who worked on a flightline.