The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Just got some copys of film taken during WWII

in the Pacific by the father of one of my friends. One picture shows an Aircraft Carrier with a severe list to starboard, the forward elevator punched in and on fire. One shows the carrier under tow with the list now to port (counter flooded?) I am unable to see a hull number in any of the photos. Could this be YORKTOWN? Another series of photos shows what looks like a heavy cruiser with the bow blown off just forward of the #1 turret. Also a photo of the same vessel in a floating dry-dock where they appear to be fabricating a temporary bow. Another view of the same vessel tied up alongside a similar vessel (hull # 87) that shows that it's missing over 100' of hull. There is also a photo of what seems to be the same vessel (same dazzle paint scheme) prior to losing it's bow, with the number 72 painted on the bow. Anyone know what vessels these are? I'm getting ready to take the photos (8x10 glossies) to Kinko's to get them copied.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Col...

...did you get those pic's yet???...

...always love watching movies like "Midway", and Tora, Tora, Tora, (the original), fighting Seabee's etc...

the majestic ships of massive steel,...

... my brother was a swabie,(hull tech), on BB-64, the Wisconsin, which is 6 inches longer then the other battleships due to having a facelift also after a ???collision???...

...C..

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 01-28-2003, 10:54 PM

col
Dad was on the enterprise 41-43 they were painted funny one have a picture of it. also have seen the sister ship yorktown listing b4 she was scuddled
Old 02-20-2003, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Col Murph,
Have you checked www.hullnumber.com? Hull #87 was the USS Duluth (CL 87). Hull #72 was the USS Pittsburgh (CA 72). The Pittsburgh lost its bow on 5 June 1945. Check out http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...h-p/ca72-l.htm

Chilidog