Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2005, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Reservist Takes Issue with REMF Title

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/c....6630182861188

02-23-2005

Reservist Takes Issue with REMF Title

I am an Army Reservist serving in Camp Victory as a member of an Area Support Group. The ASG was sent to Iraq in order to improve the lives of the soldiers living/working in and outside of Camp Victory.

I don?t understand why SFTT President Roger Charles feels the need to classify a group of soldiers as REMFs or those ?who watched the war on their computer screens.? Who are you talking about? Are you referring to non-combat arms MOS? Are you talking about soldiers who don?t work outside the wire but who are still subject to and/or the threat of indirect fire/suicide bombers (Mosul) and long-term separation from home and family?

For my part, I do not work outside the wire. I do the job I was assigned to do inside the wire. If ordered to work outside the wire, I would do it. That?s not false bravado and it?s not a ?REMF? looking for an excuse to sew on a CIB.

It?s just the nature of the Army (CA, CS and CSS) to task responsibilities. As you are well aware, it?s not just combat arms soldiers who are taking casualties. Despite what you think, REMFs are trying to improve the situation for all soldiers. The Victory Base Complex makes every effort to feed and take-care of all soldiers on an objective basis in accordance with Army Regs, SOPs, etc. The fast food, MWR facilities, few as they are, are a sign of progress in providing for all of the troops. Would you prefer that we not improve our surroundings and live in foxholes 24/7? How would that serve the non-REMFs?

Lastly, who is more fortunate ? the REMF who is killed by a mortar/rocket/suicide bomber attack while on base, or the non-REMF who, while exposed to more danger on a daily basis, survives the experience and returns home? While on-base casualties are far lower then off-base casualties, I find it morally repugnant, that Charles, in effect, is telling the families of on-base casualties that their loved ones were REMFs.

I respectfully request that you use your power to build unity rather then chip away at it with derogatory put-downs of soldiers who are serving their country in the duties assigned them by the Army. I simply don?t see the logic behind denigrating the service of certain soldiers because of their MOS or perceived status. Service is service in whatever form it takes.

--Peter A. McMillan, Maj. USA (MI) USAR
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Consider the source, SFTT is a bs organization to being with.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Maj McMilan I'm thnakful to you for your service, I was an 11B in the Army and spent 3 tours of duty in Vietnam. I guess the term REMF might have been formed out of jealously by some foot soldier who felt that he was getting a raw deal. I was damn proud of being a grunt. I also know that soldiers with non-combat arms MOS's were killed in Vietnam also. Now in Iraq since most of the fighting is done in an urban environment mostly everyone is exposed to combat. I wish to thank you and your command for their service to our nation during these trying times in harms way. I hope all of you will be home safely soon.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

bs .... how so ?

Larry