The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2002, 08:58 AM

Default Kingston Trio

and air-raid drills (hunkered down in the hallways while the nuns made us say the rosary 'til the "all clear" - thought those drills would never end). And feeling you had to look up every time a plane flew over. More recently, we got Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire" - a real montage of the lives of anybody who was born in the '40s or "50's.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sis,
If push comes to shove, Pakistan will loose this confrontation and places like Karachi will be but dust, hot rubble and lost souls. The Wahabi Moslems; al Qaeda, Talibs, etc., want the world to go back to medieval times with them in charge. Horror of horrors they just could push India too far and turn Pakistan into just that kind of place except there will be little nothing left to be in charge of.

I?ll swim up stream here a bit and say that I like Indians and do business with them all the time. I?m not a stranger to the industrial areas around Hyderabad and talk to them via E-mail or phone on a weekly if not daily basis. Granted, they are tough to do business with at times and can be very demanding but what the heck; if it were easy anyone could do it. I have studied the Reg Vida and have a bit of a feel for the Hindu Religion; at least enough to stay out of trouble, and I?m Ok with trusting my personal safety with them when I?m their guest.
My only negatives with India are the frigging snakes and curried everything.
Unfairly, I call their standard meals served to Westerners ?curried leaves, dirt and rubber chicken?. It?s an acquired taste I suppose and I?ll try again one day. If nothing else I lean out real quickly when I go there and that?s always good news for this incipient chubby boy Scotsman.

There is an interesting book now out called ?Why we Fight? by William J. Bennett. It is written in more or less Conservative pros but does an excellent job of defining the threat that the US and India and nearly every one else faces from the Wahabi insanity. The book spends most of the text sorting out US confusion over the reality of Wahabi Islamic terrorism vs. PC stances by some. Not a good book for Liberal leaning folks as it would tend to piss them off, but an honest work and an honest assessment of what we are up against and what India has been up against for years.

Fair seas, Bill
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Growing up in the 50's

My dad was the civil defense director for our county. An unpaid volunteer job at that time. Anyway, I got to see all the A-bomb test film footage that they use on TV now. You probably have seen it too. The buildings being blown one way with the initial blast and the other way when the the air rushed back to be sucked up it the mushroom. Same with trees, equipment , old navy ships etc. We had designated shelters in the basements of public buildings like the schools and court house. I remember the O. D. colored cans with the radition type symbol on them. They had food and water in them and were stored at the public shelters. But even having seen all this and listening to my Dad talk about preparedness to others,(even remember civiliain plane spotters sent outside of town) it never seemed real. I never thought about getting nuked out of existance. Maybe I was too young or too dumb to be scared. It sure wasn't one of the things 10 year old boys talked about, ever.

And hey Paco, where did you get the list of all my favorite movies.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:44 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Remember?

n/t

Peace,Griz
Old 06-03-2002, 10:47 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default How `bout this?

n/t

Peace,Griz
Old 06-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Growing up in the 80's we too had drills. I lived on military bases most of my young life and I do not think more then a month would ever go by that we did not drill and jump under the desks. I never once thought this would help anything more then keeping my body in more or less one piece for the burial later if I ever got dug out. We have a lot of the old nuke test footage in the downloads section for those feeling nostaligic, they can be found at this link titled Atmospheric Nuclear Weapons:

http://www.patriotfiles.com/modules....download&sid=3
Old 06-03-2002, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Drywall!

Those are some of my favorite movies. 2 others that were about Communisim, but none of us knew it at the time, were:

THE THING (James Arness as the monster, his first movie) Watch it again and see that the scientist that wants to "understand and learn" from the monster, not only looks like Lennon, they dress him in a Russian hat. Rewatch it thinking Commies instead of big Vegetable Martian and you'll get what they are saying.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS: Again, those aren't Pods taking over, they are Commies. (hmmm, filmed in California....I wonder) No need for emotion, no need for feelings, etc. Watch it thinking about Communisim taking over and you'll see.

These are the origninals, not the newer ones which are just camp.

We also had air raid sirens go off every Monday at like 9am or 10. At school we did duck and cover drills, and going to places without windows and had to stand with our faces against the wall. I was convinced that I would survive any Nuclear attack the Reds through at us. Certainly the Congress thought about surviving. There is a place somewhere in West Virginia that was built underground near some resort or under some resort in the mountains in the Shennandoah area. Not only were they going to survive, but play golf afterwards. Supposedly you can go through this old secret place now on a tour. I'd kinda like to see it.

I'm sure there were other movies about the effects of Nuke war, can anyone remember any more other than "The H Man". A Japanese "the Blob" only it was green goo and was from the bombing of Hiroshima.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-03-2002, 11:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sorry!

Not Lennon, as in John, but LENIN! AS IN MAXIST LENNINIST COMMUNISM.

Packy

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-03-2002, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Paco don't forget Godzilla, aka the nuclear bombing of Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: gif keg.gif (8.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-03-2002, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

Anybody ever watched the old 50's spots on air raid drills and nuclear attacks? I cant get over how they seem to tell everyone how to be orderly and listen to the governement and public officials and how all the people go in nice little lines into the bunkers. People actually bought this!?
Still amazes me..when we had air raid drills and duck and cover every kid in the class thought it was stupid. We knew our desk would do nothing for us.
I guess we were already jaded.