The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Devils in Baggy Pants

The June issue of the Minnesota Legionnaire has the story of a young army chaplain who seved with the 504 PIR 82nd AB at Anzio. The following quote was found in a German officers diary who had opposed the 504 at the Anzio beachhead.

"American parachutists - devils in baggy pants - are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night: they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere." The Devils in Baggy Pants became the title of the regiments official history.

The newspapers address is www.mnlegion.org but when I went there, they still had the May issue on line. Hopefully in a few days they will put June up. The story is titled "Because that's where the men are."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2002, 05:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks!

I'll check on when the new issue comes out. Have known that term for years and Love it!

Thanks Drywall!

Semper Fi!

Packo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 911godbless.jpg (70.5 KB, 100 views)

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-05-2002, 05:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Semper Fi?

Sorry buddy, it's early in the morning and for some reason thought you were in the Corps. Temporary amnesia, or over 50 syndrom.

Airborne!

Packo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tobykeith.jpg (10.0 KB, 99 views)

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-05-2002, 09:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool DEVILS

Having been in the 82nd, I know this story. Over the years, it has become a phrase for all paratroopers. The 508th PIR, 82nd ABN. DIV., of which I was with for a time, has a regiment patch depicting a devil with a rifle, dangling from a parachute. A great story and history. Thanks for shareing, DRYWALL.
Attached Images
File Type: gif gsept10.gif (55.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool PACKO

A little nostalgia!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg di recruit doug kidd.jpg (18.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-07-2002, 09:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Speaking of baggy pants,

the Navy was under the impression that our crotch went from our navel to our knees and issue stuff was just simply awful, awful I say. All we needed was a skateboard and we?d fit right in these days. So all that stuff stayed in the sea bag locker and I re outfitted myself with non-issue ?Seafarer Buccaneers?. Tropicals, blues, whites and dungarees, all of it, and all were strictly illegal but to heck with them. I made the choice not to look like a buffoon and no one said a frigging word for over 4 years. Good thing, as I?d have probably got yappy and gone to the brig to experience the USMC milk of human kindness. Oh, a Sailor could buy all the Seafarer stuff at the NX. Go figure.

Anyone recall seeing the Navy come on poster with the First Class Petty Office and a little kid looking at a Sailing ship and the caption ?Tradition?? Guess what, those blues he had on were strictly outlaws, probably Seafarer Buccaneers. The big bells are a dead give away. There are no bells allowed with regulation blues. Fact is, most of the issue trousers didn?t even have the thirteen button front flap; they had a zipper for crying out loud. Aarrgg, only the lowliest of sea wimps would wear dress blue trousers with a zipper. An outlaw zipper was on the right hand side of the tailored jersey and once poured in, ya zipped up and were styling, yes sir. Oh, the material was never that stupid blue wool but rather, black gabardine. Of course, there had to be silk embroidered dragons, tigers, naked girls, Asian calligraphy, Asian junks and the like on the inside of the cuffs, under the back flap and most certainly, absolutely inside the thirteen button front flap. Ya?ll Marines wouldn?t want to know what the translation of the front flap Asian calligraphy said. Black Wellington boots under the bells kind of filled out the image. That?s what I?m talking about ?pure scamp and illegal from head to toe.

Fair seas, Bill

Former PO1, USN
7th fleet, Operation Market Time,
RVN, 66-68.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:30 PM

Default Need some Airbrone help

True or not, did the Brits in WWII use the term devil in baggy pants, also?
Old 06-07-2002, 04:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool BILL

While growing up in a City where the Navy was well represented and the sailors were proud [required?] to wear their uniforms, I always thought they looked pretty sharp. I liked the over-sized bells, the tailor-fit pants and jerseys, the cuffs rolled once to show off the embroidery work, and the hat squared and set at a devilish rake. In the parades that featured the Military in San Francisco back then, which was all of them, the Navy was always my favorite drill team. Always thought I might join the Navy just for the uniform. Didn't work out that way, and when I saw a sailor in Cam Rahn Bay legally sporting a beard and a little too well fed, I knew I had screwed up .

Least Favorite Uniform: Air Force
Sorry, but you boys looked like bus drivers .
Old 06-07-2002, 06:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question SARGE

I've never heard the phrase attached to the Brits, but that doesn't mean it wasn't so. There are other members here alot better read on WWII than I am, that could probably answer that for you. The person you need to see this is "RHODESIAN". He WAS a Brit Para.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ark.jpg (23.2 KB, 125 views)