The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2003, 06:43 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Tom,

It's good tohear the other side of the story. It's just a matter of fact. And that was all I wassaying on my post the other day. It does my heart good that you, Kath, James and Sue are having such a good time and you can keep us all posted like this. What a great story you just posted and what a gutsy little guy for not surrendering his dignity. Don't talk tohim to much thoughwe wantyouon the plane homeon time with no delays.

Sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2003, 06:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I am impressed

and loving the reports. It kinda looks like if ya go there...go for the towns, beaches, etc. Seems that all the bases and things we remember are pretty much gone except for the tunnels at Cu Chi. You guys are great reporters.....keep it coming.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-29-2003, 03:36 PM

Thanks for rounding out the story of the peoples and workers paradise, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passport.jpg (41.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-29-2003, 07:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default churches...

I wonder if there are any Catholic churches or for that matter any kind left. I passed the Cao Dai Temple several times in Tay Ninh. Very impressive. Strange religion though. I wonder if it is still there. If Vietnam is anything Like China, they are violently anti-religion....

Larry
Old 04-29-2003, 10:11 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Larry to answer your question:

VIETNAM

(ASSIST News Service)
Several organizations have designated Sunday, May 4 as a Day of Prayer for Vietnam. While the laws of Vietnam promise religious freedom, the government continues its policies of religious repression among the population of almost 80 million. Persecution is intense among the minority tribal groups, or Montagnards, in the Central Highlands and northern mountain regions, where the church has grown dramatically in recent years. Recent reports indicate Christian persecution is increasing. Hundreds of Montagnard churches have been closed and more than 50 pastors and church leaders have been arrested during the last few months. Since 51% of Vietnam's population is less than 24 years old, the majority of Vietnam's people have only known life under a communist regime with its inherent limitations on religious freedom. Pray the church leaders who are in prison will have an opportunity to spread the Gospel. Pray that Christians who have suffered beatings, confiscation of property and harassment will retaliate with Christ's love for their persecutors. Pray the children of Vietnam will come to know Him who dearly loves all the children of the world.

www.persecution.com

May they all overcome...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 05-02-2003, 10:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default LARRY and ARROW

Near as I could tell, the Catholic Church is alive and well in VN. We saw at least one church in every town of any size, and 2 or more in some. Xuan Loc, about 30mi. NE of Saigon, was predominently Catholic. We saw at least 4 churches from the road. This was on 30APR, Independence Day, and all the churches were flying the national flag off of their gates. BTW, all of these churches had a substantial amount of acreage around them that was very well kept. These were not poor parrishes. Many of the newer homes, many of them mansions by any cultures standards, were owned by Catholics. You could tell this by several different ways. Some would have a small alter in their yards; some would have a statue of the Madonna on their balconies; or some would have cameo of Mary and baby Jesus on the wall of their house. These houses would almost surely be owned by government officials or well-to-do business men or farm owners. I can't vouch for any of the Protestant faiths. I just don't know.

Arrow, that's a true story about the Montagnards. There's no doubt in my mind that these people are persecuted and kept down. These are the indigenous people of the Central Highlands, and they consist of about 40 different tribes. They are pretty primitive people with a long history of hate for the Vietnamese, no matter which government happens to be in control. Today, they are referred to as the "Minority" people. I was hoping for Kath and Sue to get a chance to see one of there villages while we passed through the Highlands, but none of their villes are near the road. They live in government-run villages [Reservations?] and outsiders must get a permit to visit them. The few homes and individuals that we passed on the road around Pleiku and Kon Tum gave a glimpse of the poverty these people live in. Many of them lived in the workers quarters of the big coffee plantations that we passed, not unlike the slave quarters of the south of 150yrs. ago. They still like us, though. I stood on a street corner in Kon Tum, comparing tattoos with one of them. Tattooing is a time honored tradition in their culture, and we parted company knowing that we each had made a new friend. I have always had nothing but good memories of the 'Yards that I had contact with while serving in the Highlands.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Exclamation Frisco

Welcome home!
Damn, Larry reminded me of something. Remember what I told you about the cathedral in Saigon? Well, same-same for the Cao Dai Temple in Tay Ninh, except in Tay Ninh we were on APC's.
Hope my note to Kath worked out OK. Welcome home again.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-03-2003, 04:27 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Man it's good to have you all home safe and sound...

Happy happy happy to hear of the healing taking place in your in hearts...

What a great experience for all of you...

Welcome home and thank you always for your service to this country....

Arrow>>>>>>>

Old 05-05-2003, 05:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking PICTURES

Trying to post some of the pics that we took. Going to start out with some from the Cu Chi Tunnels. The first one is of James standing in an entrance/exit.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Exclamation DAMN!

I don't know why these are coming up so big, but here's somemore.

ANDY: The Commies say "Thanks" for leaving this tank behind. It's a big hit with the tourists .