The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2004, 01:40 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Exclamation Agent Orange

Our buddy Packo has a friend named Skip who lives in Maine. Skip has a pal named Tom (yes, yet another Tom) who lives in Boston. Skip told Tom to call Packo, who in turn suggested he call me.

Tom from Boston sounds like a great guy. He served in RVN in 1968 drove a truck, often hauling ammo. He drove from Ton Sun Nuht to Cu Chi to Tay Ninh, the so called Thunder Road. He?s having a hard time getting anything for PTSD because he doesn?t have a CIB or something similar, which is crazy but we?ll work on that.

Tom from Boston came down with cancer, Lymphoma, two years ago. He has fought it at Bethel Hospital in Boston, one of the finest cancer hospitals in the world. He is not cured, he never will be but the cancer is in remission. Now he has a February appointment with VA doctors, their intent will be to knock him down from 100% to 40% for the cancer, Tom was looking for some help, some guidance. I?d guess many of you know, your truly went through the same hoops. However the intent of this post is not to just dump on the VA.

Boston Tom spent time on Thunder Road which was constantly being drenched with Agent Orange and he contracted Lymphoma, just like me, just like several of my friends, most of whom are dead. My friends who died came down with the cancer years ago, or it went too far before it was determined what was wrong with them. Since the year 2000 such advancements have been made in the treatment of this most common deadly A.O. related cancer, it boarders on an act of God. Lymphoma, like numerous other cancers is no longer a death sentence.

Sure, you?ve heard me say this before but folks, Please get an annual check up. If you served in Vietnam you were exposed to A.O. It can live in your body, undetected for decades and out of nowhere your sick, very sick. (Stress can trigger this cancer. Are any of you stressed?) The sooner it is found the better your chances are of getting healed. If you haven?t had a check up in the last 12 months, get one. Further, if you refuse to get a check up, in spite of this plea, I?ll come to your house and slit your puppy?s throat J!

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Andy

Once again, we collectively doff our hats to you, extend a resounding "Present Arms," and thank you for posting this. I might add that I was encouraged by one of my "troopies" to do the PSA check at least semi-annually. Case in Point: Bill had an annual check-up, as required by his beautiful wife; all test results were normal. And a few months later, he had to take a paramedical exam for some additional life insurance. A PSA check was part of the routine, and the result was a spike in the PSA count, requiring immediate treatment. Morale of this story: since at least 5 of my guys have prostate cancer, we are encouraging each and everyone of us to do the PSA check twice per year. If I hear of any who are not following through, I'm going to call Andy, and we'll do the puppy thing together!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-22-2004, 03:14 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Andy

Thank God that Tom#3(or is it 4) has had treatment and his cancer and it is in remission,and continued prayer that yours remains there as well.

Is it SOP at Boston VA to knock cancer into remission and then cut the victum from 100-40%?This is ridiculous.I believe that I still have the letter written on your behalf when they pulled this crap on you,and would gladly change the surname and fire it off again.PM me Tom`s name,if he doesn`t want it published and I`ll get busy.

All my tests are up to date,so Kati`s pets are safe...for now?

Peace,Griz
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Andy

Don't have any pets (ate them) I get a comlete check up each year, Have to, Haz-mat tec, ARFF certifications,
Stress, No- I just tell my guys, IDGAF.

Ron
Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Assistance

Andy - If you/he are looking for assistance or guidance on how to keep the VA disability rating @ 100%, just let me know. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.

Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

@*% with my puppy and I'll #*& withyou. What all the above said . Even had a tube up my butt to look for something. But I want to play with that grand baby. Peace and health.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Andy :

Outside of a PSA check, what kinds of other tests can catch this cancer early on ? What were your early symptoms ? Riding around in Agent Orange drenched dust as I did for 11 1/2 months, I feel like I have a sword over my head. Take care.

Larry
Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Other than a PSA there is a rectal exam. All us old "coots" should have that once a year. I have a strong family history of colon cancer so I get a colonoscopy once a year. It is coming up next month. We owe it to our families to get these things done.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default reply

Making this post was not an act of fishing for pats on the back. I always urge you guys to stay healthy. Personally, I don?t care for cancer and it?s side effects, would just like to see others avoid as much of the problem as is reasonable.

Griz - the 100% to 40% isn?t just a Boston thing. Our good friend, Bill R, has said that if a person is not actively fighting cancer, if it?s in remission, VA rules say the vet will be dropped to 40%. That?s why a cancer victim fighting for unemployable status is important. It?s damn hard to fight the VA and the stress it causes when your blood pressure is 60 over 40 and your wasted due to the effects of chemo.

BillR - you the man. You and Packo have helped me Large. Being the ex-detective always take notes when you guys give me information and then do research to back up the conversation. You?ve taught me a lot, I?ve found the Chapters and Sections of the ?law? but if anything comes up that I?m not sure about, we?ll be in contact.

DMZ - OK, I?ll just file down the teeth on that wolf.

Larry - there is no such thing as an Agent Orange test. However if you are concerned about caner, at least lymphoma, when you get a physical it should include a blood test. Not sure what the doctors look for in Tenn but the G.P. we go to (who has lived through leukemia), always checks for too much protein in the blood, as well as the white and red blood counts, very important. Another test they might do is something called a SED Rate. It determines if your blood is the correct thickness. If it?s too thin you have ?issues?. A good SED rate is around 15. When my wife finally made me go to the doctor (my first visit in 9 years) the SED rate was 130. You might also mention your time in the 25th and that many of us have A.O. related problems.

Fred - Had my last colonoscopy in December. They harvested a six pack of ?grapes? all benign. With the drugs they gave me it really wasn?t even a pain in the butt. I?ve also come to a conclusion about the gender of doctors. Try to have a female doctor to do this procedure. Seems they are more empathetic and try to avoid a painful entry. Of course with the drugs I was on she could have used a catfish instead of a hose and I probably wouldn?t have know the difference.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 01-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My buddy the famous Oncologist suggested, no demanded, that if you are a Vietnam Vet you must get checked for Prostate Cancer TWICE A YEAR! One digital rectal with PSA and one just PSA. I do it for sure. Not only was I in Vietnam, my father died from it, his brother,(my uncle), is dying of it, and I just found out that my brother, age 57, just got it, found in his digital rectal. On Feb 16th he will be having the radioactive seeds planted in his prostate. Less chance of incontinance and impotence. Same operation Rudy Juliannie (sp) had for his. As a matter of fact, my buddy did his operation and consulted with our good friend Butch Jolie, who is doing well.

Larry, we are discussing 2 different cancers. The PSA and digital rectal are for prostate. Not sure what you do for Lymphoma? Andy?

Twice a year my dear brothers, or after Andy kills your dog, I'll force ya'll to watch reruns of the Patriots losing to the CAROLINA PANTHERS for 36 hours straight. Then maybe you'll give our Southern Boys some respect.

ALSO, TAKE SAW PALMETTO AND LYCOPENES TO HELP KEEP THE CANCER AWAY FROM YOUR PROSTATE! I swear it helps.

Dr. Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)