The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2002, 10:08 AM

Talking

I have one that was presented to me when I left Japan and returned to the States. It has my name engraved on it. It also brings back many memories whenever I look at it.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:40 AM

Default I gave mine

to my brother-in-law on new years eve 1971. I told him not to give it back even if i begged. My resolution was to quit smoking Jan. 1, 1972. I'll bet I'd still be alive if I would've quit then.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:59 AM

Default Still got mine

but I don't use it or any lighter any more. I quit smoking back in 1979 and haven't had a smoke since. I was smoking two packs a day and decided that $.50 a pack was too much money to let go up in smoke. Man, I'm sure glad I'm not smoking them $3.00 packs today !
My lighter has the 1st Signal Brigade and 4th Infantry embelms engaved on it.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Wife bought me one in Niagra Falls many years back. It was black but the finish wore through to the brass. Polished off the remaining finish and super glued an old "Gary Owen" shield on it. Though I wasn't assigned to the 7th Cav I did spend some time with the unit and that shield reminds me every time I light up. Thought Zippo's were a rite of passage and will always have one. Lifetime guarantee and Zippo has replaced the guts of that lighter twice already.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The year was 1974...

...and I was a "FRESHMEN" in highschool, which just happened to be a "private Cathlic military Highschool" which offered a JROTC program as I was an aspiring service person to be...
...I was about 8 weeks into school, and being the bad boy that I was, (cause I started smoking unfortuntly when I was seven), I had a zippo cause matches sucked, and Bic's were not invented yet, and the day started off like any other until I went to use it, and it went dry, and you all know when they run dry, there dry...
...still there is two + parts to the story, first is I fill it up juuuusssst a little tooo much, and 2nd is going to my locker first thing in the morning to prepare for morning inspection realizing that my"brass" needs a little shine, only to realize that one of my buddies pinched my brass polish out of my locker, and don't I FAIL my first inspection, so I'm pissed at the demerits, and having to stay after school to march them off at 15 min per demerit...
...so first period ends, and I go back to my locker, and "poof" my brass polish reappears, so I'm miffed that I failed insp, and now my polish magicly reappears, and off to Bio class I go, I grab a "wad", and proceed to polish my buckle while sitting there listening to "MR RAZOLT"(straight out of RPI with no experience at all, wore the same black suit with yellow socks for the first 10 weeks of school NEVER changing anything)...ZIPPO, yes getting to it....
... now the brass is polished, and throw the wad in the two person chem desks that we had, and now have this little burning around my watch pocket cause I filled the zippo up a tiny wee bit too much.... SOOOOOOO It was cool, Razolt was a dork, blah, blahing at the chalkboard, I"m just gonna sit here, and "burn" a little bit off as to lower the level of the fluid, and things were going great until all of a sudden, he deceides to take his first stroll around the class in ten weeks... not wanting to "snap" the lid closed, I blow it out, and "whew" safe at last,opps here he comes, so I toss it into the desk easy, and thinking it's ok...
...heres where part 1, and 2 collide... doesn't it "light" as I toss it in the desk, and it "touches off" the brass polish, I see little wisps of smoke coming out of my desk, and I'm shitting bricks, I slam my palm on the smoldering brass polish inside the desk, and muffle my wanting to scream (it hurt as it was burning), ahh it's cooling off, ahhhhhh, it's out, I'm safe, shit my hand hurts, blow away any remaining smoke quick.....
..."DOES THE TERM SPONTANIOUS COMBUSTION MEANING ANYTHING TO YOU"... not 30 seconds after it was out, it wasn't again, and now I got to try to put it out with my left hand now, and the smell is getting more noticable, doesn't my buddy in the side seat yell "fire" just as the "dean of disipline" is looking through the little window in the front door of the class, Razolt drags me out of the chair, and my buddy is shoving more paper in the desk, everyone one is laughing(cept me), and Brother CELCIUS proceeds to remove me from my surroundins' to a more formiable place to beat my ass...
...lesson numero uno,
...ZIPPO'S, AND BRASS POLISH DO NOT MIX.........

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 07-02-2002, 12:44 PM

Default Got three of them.

One is a really old one (40's) with the logo of a family owned company.
One is from Vietnam with my name/rank/sn and jump wings on it.
My newest is one with the USCGC TAMAROA (Coast Guard Cutter in "The Perfect Storm") that I got when I was aboard her in the 70's as a Law Enforcement Advisor to the USCG from Customs.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to vetgirl
Question how many got the GTO

So how many of you guys atcually got the goat?
Old 07-03-2002, 05:19 PM

In Nam got tired of the waterproof matches, so I got a Zippo with the globe & anchor. Filled it up and burned by leg, like LT. Never smoked but I thought the zippo would light the heat tabs. Gave it away to a new guy.