Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2002, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Home town

Springfield, Mass.

Hope that helps.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2002, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Guys

I just made a long post on the Vets Benefits thread with the addresses of the two news papers I'm dealing with now.

Have not hear back from Kennedy (in a twisted way I'm almost not disappointed).
Sen. Kerry's office gave me the names of two heavy hitters who deal with problems at the VA.
Member of the House John Olver's assistant told me she would call the VA today and get back to me by Friday.
I got their e-mails and phone numbers off the internet, Senators/House of Rep's.

The newspaper interview went well. The report's dad was with the 4th Division in RVN. He's very interested in calling the VA to ask if there is a statute or policy for revoking benefits for people with incurable diseases which the VA admits responsibility for. It does seem a fire is being lit.

Thanks for your concern. I started that post on another thread just to get some ideas, wasn't looking for any action. Wouldn't have said anything if I wasn't damn mad about being lied to. After a previous good experience with the VA, I just didn't expect this.

Paco, I love you dude but I don't live in Springfield or Southampton or South anywhere. It's Easthampton Mass.
On the banks of the Connecticut River, where all the colleges are.
Remember, this is where waist band was invented. All you people wearing underwear that doesn't have a draw string, you can thank us. Any of you guys who visit Easthampton, remind me to show you the three houses that were used as part of the "underground railroad" and the large Civil War exhibit at the library. We also have 3 private all women's colleges within 10 miles, now that should be easy to remember.
Stay healthy, thanks again,
Andy
PS: Also contacted Sen Hutchinson from Texas. She's the Chair of the senate Vet Affairs committee. Told her I wasn't from Texas, but would be if necessary.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:39 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Actually

The town is Easthampton.I`m composing a letter to Sen.Patty Murray,D(ouch)Wa.,who is a member of the Senate Veterans Arrairs Comittee.She has been responsive in past engagements.I will post it with her mailing and e-mail address if anyone would care to send a copy.

Peace,Griz
Old 06-19-2002, 04:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Letter

Sorry the letter head broke up a bit,but all the numbers are there.I e-mailed,faxed,and snail mailed.Snail mail takes a couple weeks now cause of the asshole that sent the anthrax after 9/11,but I think it`s more effective.Hang tough,Andy.Bros,Griz

June 19, 2002

Senator Patty Murray 173 Russell Senate Office Building Washington,D.C.20510 Phone202)224-2621 Fax202)224-0238 e-mail:senator-murray@murray.senate.gov

Dear Senator Murray

It has recently come to my attention that a fellow disabled Vietnam Veteran,Tom Andryczyk of Easthampton,Massachusetts,has received some very alarming and disturbing news from the Veterans Administration (VA) regarding his disability. A rating of 100% disabled had been awarded Mr.Andryczyk for service-connected Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma,which VA has been treating.Suddenly,with one swipe of the unseemly,beaurocratic pen, Mr.Andryczyk`s benefits have been cut to a mere 30%.This,Senator Murray,is simply not acceptable.Please assure me,as I am well aware of your advocacy for veteran`s concerns,that this travesty will be halted forthwith.As the daughter of a disabled veteran seated on the Veteran's Affairs Committee hope that you will not allow this matter to go unchallenged.Please be also mindful of the fact that as this injustice carries forth,the stress generated on my friend and brother,Tom,will likely vault his cancer out of remission.Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,

Peace,Griz
Old 06-19-2002, 04:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Andy?

Isn't Easthampton a northern suburb of Springfield?

Keith
Old 06-19-2002, 08:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default OK, here it goes Andy,

The letter below will be sent by "snail-mail" to this newspaper and the Daily Hampshire Gazette in the A.M. 20 June, 2002.

Also, same/same (with some slight changes) to Senators Kerry & Kennedy along with Congressman Olver AND my Congressman here in Florida, Mike Biliarakus.

I still think you should get your local TV stations involved as well.

God Bless & God speed your reinstatement my friend!

***START***

The Springfield Union
PO: Box 2350
Springfield, Ma. 01102

I am writing this letter with the hopes that you will see fit to help correct an injustice currently being committed against a good friend of mine and a former police officer and military veteran who has had the misfortune of contracting a life-threatening disease, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma while in the service of his country. Tom Andryczyk of Easthampton, Massachusetts was exposed to the defoliating herbicide known as Agent Orange while serving with the 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam during his tour of duty in 1967. He has been awarded a 100% permanent & total disability rating for this disease and is currently still receiving medical treatment and medications from a Department of Veterans Affairs medical facillity in your area. He recently became aware that his disability compensation will be "reduced" to a rating of only 30% disabling. I simply cannot understand HOW this could be considered an appropriate determination for someone who is STILL BEING TREATED for a life-threatening illness? Tom has contacted both Senator Kennedy and Senator Kerry as well as his Congressman, John W. Olver for assistance in this matter. (As yet nothing has been done to rectify the matter). I have also contacted these gentlemen to offer my complete disgust and total condemnation of a Federal system (the Department of Veterans Affairs) that shows nothing but disdain and disregard for the very people who have shed blood and endured undue pain & suffering so that THEY may continue their employment!! If not for Tom and untold thousands like him, these folks would not be afforded the Liberty and Freedom they enjoy while making these decisions!

In early May 1989, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in Nehmer, et al. v. U.S. Veterans Administration, et. al. invalidated a portion of VA regulations concerning the handling of Agent Orange disability compensation claims.
The Court concluded that in the process of deciding which diseases would be recognized as being caused by Agent Orange, VA used a too demanding standard. Rather than using the cause-and-effect standard, the Court indicated that VA should have recognized any disease for which the scientific evidence shows there is a "significant statistical association" with exposure to dioxin.
The Court also ruled that, in determining whether particular diseases should be recognized, VA should have applied the "reasonable doubt" standard used when weighing evidence in individual claims. This long-standing VA rule of claims adjudication provides that if the weight of evidence tending to support a claim is in approximate balance with that tending to oppose it, the benefit of doubt goes to the claimant (that is, the veteran or dependent).
Shortly after the Court ruling was issued, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Derwinski announced that VA would not seek appeal of the decision and ordered a prompt revision of the regulations. This involved establishing criteria for determining when a significant statistical association exists and review of scientific and medical studies using the new criteria.
The proposed regulation changes establishing criteria were published in the Federal Register for public comment. (See 54 Fed. Reg. 30099, July 18, 1989). The proposed changes were modified in response to comments received. In October 1989, the final regulation changes were published in the Federal Register. (See 54 Fed. Reg. 40389, October 2, 1989). Final changes concerning determinations as to particular diseases have also been published. Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma is one of these diseases!
It remains to me completely unbelievable that a system designed to HELP sick & disabled veterans can be so ruthlessly cruel and uncaring for those that have served their country honorably. God help the military men and women now in "harms way" while serving our country in this latest conflict. If they were to become aware of what awaits them after "Operation Enduring Freedom" they may NOT be so gung-ho to offer up THEIR blood and suffering, huh??

Respectfully,

Thomas S.(Steve) Johnson
Tampa, Fl.

***END***

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Griz

Your letter was great and Patty Murray is from Washington State so I emailed using yours as a base.

The email got returned for a minor problem. Correct address is

senator_murray@murray.senate.gov

that's an underline between senator and murray
Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Quick note

Just woke up to go to a Chemo treatment and I'm a little late but I have to do some corrections.
My last name is ANDRZEJCZYK - spelled just like it's pronounced - if you live in Warsaw.
They knocked me me down to 40% not 30%. If I said 30%, I'm sorry, a type-o.
I received received 100% in 1999, retroactive for two years but it was not "permanent". I called the DAV and ask why. They told me it wasn't important because I was getting the 100% cancer, so it was a no brainer. I was a babe in the woods and believed the people I spoke to.

My wife is upset because I'll be late for my "soup".

Stay healthy guys,
Andy
PS: Gimp I will get back to you but I am late.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default OK Andy,

I made the changes before mailing. ANDRZEJCZYK, 40% instead of 30%, and 100% totally disabled instead of "permanent & total"----lookee heanh, dang-nab-it---I have a hard time with just TWO syllable words much less something that's spelled like your name!

Why cain't you yankee fellers change yo names ta sumthing like BUBBA GUMP---or LEROY JONES or ALVIN SMITH or sumthin EASY anyways!

No damn wonder y'all has such a hard time gettin thangs dun through tha mail! Evabody must thank y'all ere sum kinda aliens ere sumthin.

HAR--HAR!

Anyway, I'm-a mailing these letters in a few minutes.

Shore hope it helps old friend.

PS---there'll be MORE coming from a lot of other folks on my "list". we gonna "flood" them rascally, devils with so much ta read they ain't gonna know whut hittum.

Good luck!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Andy

I know your in Easthampton, just didn't know that every suburb in Mass has their own newspaper. I am going to contact some of my SC reps, yep even Fritz, and Rockafella from West (by God) Virginia. He is big on Vets affairs. I would contact Sen. Byrd, but all he would do for you is to move some Federal Agency to Easthampton, Mass. He wouldn't understand that you can't work, but at least there would be jobs for everyone else. Of course you'd have to name a bridge over the Conn river after him.

Will get rollin' with letters to editors and reps. Hang in there, and away we go!

Airborne!

Packo

PS Damn Gimpy can you write a letter! Way to go my web footed bro!

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)