The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2004, 12:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "bye...bye"...bush???

According to a bizarre statistical correlation that's been accurate for seven decades.

Since the Washington Redskins became the Redskins in 1933, the result of the team's final home game before the presidential election has correctly predicted the White House winner. If the Redskins win, the incumbent party wins. If they lose, the incumbent party is ousted.

Current score in the 3rd quarter........................Green Bay Packers 20.....Washington Redskins 7....

Back later with the final score...................But, so far it looks like it's "bye...bye"...Bush!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2004, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default IT'S OVER!!!!

HALLELUJAH !! HALLELUJAH !! HALLE-FREAKIN-LUJAH !!

The "CURSE" of the Redskins is upon us!

FINAL SCORE= PACKERS 28...REDSKINS 14 !!

BYE...BYE..BUSH!

BYE...BYE..BUSH!

May the CORNPONE COWBOY HISSEF have a nice trip back to Texas!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 10-31-2004, 01:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default RE: "BYE...BYE"

Need to keep this 'up front" for all the "Football Fans"...

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-31-2004, 01:58 PM

Talking Most Accurate Election Forcast For 65 Years

I hate to burst your bubble Gimpy, but here is what is considered the most accurate presidential elections forecast, it's been proven for 65 years now. I guess we'll have to wait till after Nov 2 to see who the CiC is going to be

Now if my beloved Redskins can just pull their heads out of their 4th Points of Contact, maybe we can have a winning season. C'mon Joe, put a boot in their ass!

The students who read Weekly Reader?s magazines have made their preference for President known: they want to send President Bush back to the White House.

The results of this year?s Weekly Reader poll have just been announced, and the winner is President Bush. Hundreds of thousands of students participated, giving the Republican President more than 60% of the votes cast and making him a decisive choice over Democratic Senator John Kerry.

Since 1956, Weekly Reader students in grades 1-12 have correctly picked the president, making the Weekly Reader poll one of the most accurate predictors of presidential outcomes in history.

President Bush was a strong winner in the student poll; the only state Senator Kerry won was Maryland. Senator Kerry was also in a statistical dead heat with President Bush in New York, Massachusetts, Washington, D.C. and Vermont. President Bush won most grades, although Senator Kerry did win among tenth-graders.

This year students caught election fever, with an increase of more than 20% in the number of students participating in the Weekly Reader poll than in any prior year. While there were participants from grades K through 12, third- and fourth-graders were the most enthusiastic voters. More than 57,000 students from each of those two grades voted.

The presidential poll, in which teachers collected their students? votes and forwarded them to an independent polling company to be tabulated, is part of Weekly Reader?s ?Promote the Vote? program, created to teach students about the election process, the issues, the candidates, and how democracy works.

?This program teaches students that voting is a privilege and a responsibility,? said Emily Swenson, President of Weekly Reader. ?Through this authentic experience, we are hoping students will become advocates and lifelong voters. And even though the election may be over in eight days, the learning will continue.?

As part of the Promote the Vote Program, Weekly Reader will also conduct an essay contest called Write Your Own Acceptance Speech. In this contest, students from grades three through 12 will be asked to write the speech they would give if they were going to be inaugurated as President in January. Contest rules will be posted at the Weekly Reader Website (www.weeklyreader.com) beginning November 8.

To select this year?s presidential poll winner, classrooms across the country submitted ballots, called in results via a toll-free number, or voted online. The results were tabulated by Zogby International, which has been conducting public opinion polls since 1984.

The results by grade:

Kindergarten - 9190 students voted
Bush 6404
Kerry 2702
Other 84
1st Grade - 30,017 students voted
Bush 20,946
Kerry 8550
Other 521
2nd Grade - 56,157 students voted
Bush 40,066
Kerry 15,948
Other 143
3rd Grade - 57,802 students voted
Bush 41,652
Kerry 15,900
Other 250
4th Grade - 57,725 students voted
Bush 36,953
Kerry 19,931
Other 841
5th Grade - 42,269 students voted
Bush 24,166
Kerry 16,960
Other 1143
6th Grade - 21,788 students voted
Bush 12,676
Kerry 8668
Other 444
7th Grade - 10,967 students voted
Bush 5800
Kerry 4536
Other 631
8th Grade - 8457 students voted
Bush 4427
Kerry 3587
Other 443
9th Grade - 2214 students voted
Bush 1238
Kerry 816
Other 160
10th Grade - 2108 students voted
Bush 820
Kerry 1208
Other 80
11th Grade - 1872 students voted
Bush 989
Kerry 800
Other 83
12th Grade - 3732 students voted
Bush 2149
Kerry 1445
Other 138

You will only under estimate me once!
Old 10-31-2004, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Oh, don't worry!

It takes a LOT more than THAT to "burst my bubble"...

The "curse" of the Redskins is slightly more relevant and long standing than the one you've mentioned (71 years vs. 65 years).

My "$$$$$" is on the "Skins".............

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 10-31-2004, 02:32 PM

One things for sure here, one of these traditions is about to be broken. It will be interesting to see which one.

One thing I never learned was NEVER bet on the 'skins. I'm a long time diehard fan of them, but whenever they have a chance of letting me down, they usually do it, and it's almost always when I have money riding on them (Just like this weekend, damn I hate the Packers!). :cd:

You will only under estimate me once!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking

The Maryland Redskins
It turns out the source on which we relied for "Redskins rule" got it wrong: The rule posits a correlation between the Washington Redskins' last home game before a presidential election and the election's outcome, not the last game. The 1996 loss to the Bills that we cited yesterday was a road game, so it doesn't count.

Well, fair enough. But what isn't as widely known is that the Redskins haven't played in Washington since 1996, when they began playing "home" games in Maryland. The team played its last true home game Dec. 22, 1996, beating the Dallas Cowboys 37-10. If the Redskins rule--victory means a win for the incumbent party--applied, Al Gore would now be president.

The inescapable conclusion is that the Redskins rule doesn't predict the actual election, only the popular vote.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well

they are STILL "The Washington Redskins"............and when THEY lose their "home" game before the election..........The "INCUMBENT"... ALWAYS..(not just sometimes, or a few times, or most of the time!)...BUT ALWAYS loses the election!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 11-01-2004, 06:17 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Another one

About 90% of the time if the National League wins the World Series a Republican takes the White House. If the American League wins a Democrat wins.

Of course, in the light of a full moon, in Fishkill N.Y., if you cut a chicken open on the 13th of October, and it's green, the challenger will win. Vito told me that one.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 11-01-2004, 07:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Vito

must have been a very wise man!

Thanks Andy!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"