The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2003, 03:01 PM

Jeff, they tried something like that in the 20's and the gangtsa' business was booming.

Of course, we had a higher class of gangsters then.

I think Dan was doing the Canada run back in those days.:cl:

Old 01-07-2003, 04:00 PM

I thought there was something familiar about Dan but just couldn't put my finger on it. Wow Dan driving a '34 Ford pick-up with a booming 272 side valve V8. Just saving his dollars to get that brand new 327 Chevy.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default drunks

Different states, different laws. In 1972 Massachusetts decided being drunk is not a crime but a sickness. As a result you can?t be arrested for being drunk unless you are driving a car or your being disorderly, etc. You can be placed under Protective Custody if it appears you are drunk to such a degree you pose a danger to yourself or others but you are released as soon as your more or less sober with no arrest record, no trip to court.
This incident sounds more like Prohibition than modern law enforcement. I wonder if something else isn?t going on. Such as a new Chief trying to stand out from the crowd,
and or having a Hitler complex. Could it be the police department just had their raise voted down and decided to take it out on the public? I have to believe this is aberrant behavior on the part of some municipal supervisor. It would be interesting to know what comes out of the court end of this matter.
ACLU was mentioned. An officer must have probable cause to believe an individual is breaking the law. Having a drink, while of age, in a bar is no violation that I?ve ever heard of, unless the person is on probation or parole and ?no liquor? is part of the agreement. Tort actions sound like they may be hitting this PD in the near future.

Like Wassa said, a business with a liquor license is responsible for it?s patrons. In this state when a person is found guilty or pleas guilty to OUI he is asked by the judge where he/she got their last drink. If the same bar is mentioned 3 times in a 12 month period the bar looses their license to operate for a week.
Wass - No doubt you had less OUI arrests than we did, however there is a bit of a difference in population.

One last point. There is a contraption called the ?Angel? which can be attached to any vehicle. Prior to starting the vehicle you have to blow into the machine which is attached to the ignition. It is a civilian version of a breath-a-lizer. If the ?Angel? detects alcohol the vehicle will not start. These things cost about $1,000 to have installed. If they were factory installed the price would probably drop substantially. If the fear is in fact drunk drivers why not install these things in all new cars?

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:27 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Good idea,...Andy.

Hell,...maybe if they had the: "Angel" way-back-when, the highly esteemed Senator Kennedy might not have had a chance to permanently deep-six Mary Jo Kopekne? Don't you think?

Neil

P.S.,...Wazza
Is that 0.02% bit correct? Seems to me that one could achieve such an alcohol blood level by merely sniffing and sampling some wine, much less having only one bottle of Fosters. Thusly, it's no wonder that in all likelihood not very many drivers under 25 pay very much attention to The Law. Well, that's how it appears to me anyway.
Am I right or wrong? Has that 0.02% cut-down on youngsters drinking and driving in Oz? Being once A Wild Kid and Party Animal myself, I just don't see such doing any good whatsoever.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:00 PM

hey ken...sorry sir...i do not drink cause
i take too many pills...so there...

wazza...my first car was a 1938 chevrolet painted fire engine red with air horns and my electric cart is in the trunk
of my 1993 lincoln towncar...so there...
...gotcha

dan
Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 AM

Neil
0.02% is corrrect and would have been zero except some do-gooder felt that the kids should be able to eat Christmas pudding laced with brandy ever day.

Yes dropped the 17-25 male death rate by motor vehicle, but speeding is a big factor too.

I know where U are coming from I was young once too. The more vehicles on the road the greater the risk.

Andy
Population difference is significant but I think the number of licenced premises is proportional to the population. Licences are issued on the basis of transient population. ie tourist areas have more licenced premises/10000 people than residential or commercial

Dan
What drove U away from GM into a Ford? My dad's first car was an Essex Terraplane - a US car I think?