The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 10:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Just Be Cool 2

4-14-2021

Never ask for whom the bell tolls – it tolls for thee, and that is a fact Jack!

A person’s life is relatively short (as time goes), and it rests with us alone to make the most of what time we do have! Unfortunately, however, many of us are preoccupied with trying to screw each other over to pay much attention at trying to leave a positive and lasting mark upon life itself – and more is the shame!

“Naturally, most of us claim to be our worldly benefactors, but in actual reality, many of us are naught but takers and the polluters of life’s midway and byways, and once again – “More Is The Shame!”

Now wouldn’t it be nice if mankind would occupy more of his time creating, instead of destroying, and building instead of tearing down? But alas, and ever since our inception as a race - “We Have Never Quite Learned How!?”-

Hardcore
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

Angry The Other Side: Look out! American values changing

The Other Side: Look out! American values changing
By: Kevin Wade - DR Daily Republic News (Fairfield-Suisun City, California
Re: https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr...-are-changing/

The results of a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey finds stark differences between baby boomers, Generation Xers and millennials/Gen Z when it comes to fundamental American values. Prepare to weep.

While nearly 80 percent of boomers consider patriotism “very important,” only 42 percent of the younger generation does.

While 68 percent of boomers cite religion or a belief in God as very important, only 30 percent of the younger generation does. Church going has been declining in the U.S. for decades. I believe a combination of religions losing their moral authority through scandal plus the commingling of church and politics has hurt religion.

The third category of decline is in having children. While 55 percent of boomers say having children is very important, only 32 percent of the younger generation does. One might ask, what young people can afford children?

In all three categories, my generation, Generation X, hovers between the others. So these changes have been gradual but steady.

It’s tempting to look at these results and interpret them as we’re devolving into something that is less American. This is the kind of survey that strikes fear into the MAGA hat wearing baby boomer crowd desperate to cling to an America that’s dissolving like smoke through their fingers.

Don’t look for religion to make a comeback. Too many young people haven’t been raised with the dogma or the habit. And if patriotism means we have to believe the same things and can’t criticize the United States, then good riddance to such shallow patriotism. And who’d want to raise children in an environment where do-gooders tell you what you can do, how you can express yourself or what to feel?

All is not lost. We’re not doomed to become a godless, unpatriotic, childless group of ne’er-do-wells. There are positive signs in the survey. All three groups believe in the value of hard work, community involvement and tolerance for others. Millennials/Gen Z lead in the tolerance department. No surprise there.

At the risk of offending some, I’d argue that these three values are at least more practical than the ones in decline. In our politics today, some groups of Americans are derided as wanting “free stuff.” Well, I haven’t seen an American refuse an entitlement yet no matter what their political belief. But the good news is the strong belief in hard work that cuts across generations. Generation Xers believe it the most. Take that, boomers!

In fact, an article came out this week that Americans have a record 768 million vacation days unused. So perhaps we should stop the finger-pointing and recognize that we’re a country that believes in the value of working hard to get what we want.

Second, all you have to do is look at the response after a disaster or tragedy to see that Americans believe in community involvement. Americans are generous and giving with their time, money, goods and effort. We may fight like hell over politics but when there’s a devastating fire, flood, shooting or some other pressing need, people come through. Americans stand ready to help their brothers and sisters.

Lastly, tolerance is everything. There’s been a lot of focus lately on the very real threat of white nationalism. There are ill-advised efforts to marginalize and demonize some groups. But the majority of Americans are tolerant. And with the coming change of America into a majority minority nation, we’d better learn acceptance quickly.

Maybe Americans will be less overt in the traditional exercises of patriotism like flag-waving and chest-pounding American exceptionalism but will embrace making us a more perfect union as the new patriotism. Maybe Bible-thumping dogma telling people how to live their lives will give way to people getting involved in their communities and treating others like they wish to be treated. And maybe fewer Americans will have children, thinking, let’s work to make this a more tolerant, accepting country before mindlessly producing more offspring.

I think we’re going to be just fine with the new American values. Peace.

Kelvin Wade, a former Fairfield resident, is the author of “Morsels” Vols. I and II and lives in Sacramento.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: So I would guess that American values have changed over the years. It's the Have's and Have Not's.
In America today its all about money!

Another wrote this:

How has American society and cultural values changed in the last 40 years?

In my opinion, they have declined, quite a bit. People often like to paint a rosy picture of America &view America through rose tinted glasses & that’s not necessarily a bad thing, because they love their country & are proud to call it their home. But they also often don’t like to see or admit that bad changes have happened to society or our values, over the years. That’s not so good. Not all change is bad & some of the changes are really good. But not all of them are good. Example: so many people, now seem to think mostly with their emotions & feelings rather than any practicality, or rationalism. Emotions & feelings are not inherently bad, but if used to make most decisions,it can & has often backfired & gone wrong. People are now expressing more outrage over more things more often, which has led to among other things, riots, murder & protests. Also more hateful anger & lashing out on the interweb. They should be focusing on what DOES make them happy in life & actually living life as best they can, instead of outraging over everything. On the flip side, more people now, have also become overly ‘mushy’,if you’ll pardon the term, in expressing their softer feelings & emotions. They are trying to force everyone to be super nice & sweet, even if it’s fake, to love & accept everyone, no matter what. I know they mean well, but that kind of thing goes against human nature, as not everyone is naturally like that & nothing will change that. And you should’nt try to force people, in things of that nature. Telling people they have to love & accept everyone no matter what, is not very clear minded, or reasonable & people don’t like to be told how to feel. People are just too different in nature & personality, for that to ever work. You just can’t please everyone. It’s impossible. Also, nowadays, so many people, are super addicted to technology, the internet in particular. Many people don’t live much of a real life, anymore. All they want is internet, 24/7/365. This has made them often lazy & less productive, than they otherwise might be. They care more about posting selfies & trying to be internet famous & promoting their image, rather than doing anything more active & non internet related. They rarely go out & do anything without the internet, at their side. Or without getting drunk. That is something else, that has gotten worse. Seems like being a drunk, is pretty popular, nowadays. Many seem to think they can’t live without it & that it will make all their problems, disappear. They use it as a crutch, instead of just dealing with real life. Many also believe you are no fun/they can’t have fun, without alcohol being involved. Great examples to set for children in this decade, not to mention future decades, right? Values, indeed. Those are only a few things, that in my opinion, are more worrisome now, than in the past 40 years. Most of those have been around for awhile. I know that. But they have gotten worse, making American society & values degraded, in the process. Just my two cents.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another:

All the rights given (and enforced) to people who used to have none. Back in the early 70s, my mother went to get a small loan at the bank. The loan officer asked her to bring her husband in to co-sign the loan. No husband, no loan. She had been banking with them for 20 years. She closed all her accounts with them.

Anyone can try to better themselves without other people getting in their way. They can buy property, attend schools, marry, work at jobs once denied them. A friend of mine told me how her father wanted to become a chef. There were no black chefs in the 50s and 60s. He enlisted in the Army and worked as a cook. It was the best that he could do at the time.

I don’t like how kids are raised these days. Too much supervision, too many pussies. Back in the 60s, we used to go out after breakfast and not come home until dinner time. No cell phones to check in with either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the ‘60’s we use to say the pledge to the flag and recite the Lord’s Prayer first thing before class started in the 2nd grade, I can’t remember which we said first. Because of Blue Laws all the stores were closed on Sundays except grocery stores and then they would only sell groceries, no booze, no cigs, no cleaning supplies, just food. Movies were a twenty five cents and you could fill up a “tuna boat” car with gas for 3 or 4 dollars. Chet Huntley use to smoke cigarettes on air while he read the news with David Brinkley, “Good night Chet”. “Good night David, and good night for NBC News”. At my HS they sold smoking permits to the students so they could have “smoking ramp” privileges, $1 per semester.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HC - your right - American Values have changed - you see it - I see it - and yet many more as well. I do believe the system has also changed and the people have changed along with the system. Eventually the issues today our out of our hands which then alters ones reasoning. We can't blame all the people - but we can surely blame - the leadership for its inability to build a solid foundation where "all people" can behold. We are the big brother to world - why is that - I don't know? We have the skills to surpass our current issues but it seem now that our society has fallen into a quagmire of insecurity - and only the top 1% are doing just great - whereas the figures fall dramatically within our social multitude's. There is no structure to self-correct our dilemma's - we are not "all" equal - in many ways.

So whose to blame? The People - or their opportunities to become more self-reliant?
Crime has become the word of the day! Employment is low! Jobs are few and pay less.
You can't raise a family on a minimum wage. Crime is skyrocketing - shootings are every
day and the news on TV is more than we need to hear!
How did we get here? I'd say by poor management and the lack good ideas - other than tearing up our cities.
-
I'd say it will take at least 10 years of good governmental programs to self-correct the issues we all see today.
I did my best for my family during my life. I'm self sufficient and take care of my family and my kids that need
it from time to time. But its not being replenished - so eventually my well will run dry - if I'm not careful.
-
America in the 50's & 60's was striving! from that point we've been on a decline. We lost our steel mills, railroads,
auto making - and many other heavy industries to foreign elements. What in the hell do we make? Not much!
Industry went automated and knocked out our jobs as well.
-
That took away a lot of US employment, Mom and Pop's shops and plenty of manpower. They went to foreign elements.
Why because they were cheap! I bet 2/3rds of American's business's went overseas leaving the US with little work for those
who lost their jobs. The tailspin begins there! Things automated today. Our taxes have risen and our fuel cost has risen and
we American's let that happen.
-
What are we good at: Making War - Bombs - Aircraft - but at what cost!
What we are not good at: Is Nation building - our infrastructure is poor and needs upgrading and major repairs.
We need jobs - lots of jobs - that pay a decent wage and allows folks to prosper not go into debt!
People are not advancing rather they are stagnant with very little growth - whereas big money make more money
we need the inverse to where the people grow as the company grows!
-
Many gave their lives in wars only to come back home and can't find a job that will pay enough to raise a family.
So what happen to our American Values. Only History will tell us that.
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote