The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2003, 04:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Tattoos In Nam

While traveling in Viet Nam, we often found ourselves the center of attention. Especially in the smaller towns away from Saigon. There were several reasons for this. Just being Caucasion was worth a second look. Our size was another attention getter. Well, James kinda' "fit" in . At 6', 225#, I pretty much stood out in a crowd just because I could be seen for blocks. But the other thing that made me an attraction was the fact that I am tattooed. I wore shorts/bathing suit my whole time there. I have a large, multi-colored tattoo on my right ankle and this would catch alot of people's eye. I would get everything from a double-take, to being stopped for a closer look. The latter would usually draw a small crowd. The attached picture was taken in Pleiku.

Tattooing isn't part of the Vietnamese, or most other Asian cultures. I was told that the only Vietnamese that were tattooed were members of the criminal element. This is also true in Japan, where my son lives. He is also tattooed. An exception to this in Viet Nam are the tribal Montagnards of the Central Highlands. Many of them are elaborately tattooed, including the women. Some tribes even do face tattoos. I had fun in Kontum comparing tats with a couple 'Yards. They were quite taken with my colors, and I appreciated some of the intricate designs that they were sporting. It was a good time sharing a common bond and their comraderie.

I have been tattooed since I tattooed myself at 16yrs. old. Teresa Coronado's initials. A hot-looking Mexican girl from high school, who would let me get to second base in the balcony of the Haight Theater. I felt okay about the initials, since they were the same as mine . Tattoos aren't for everyone, but I've always been comfortable with mine. I also have a shamrock between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand to celebrate my Irish Heritage; a pair of Jumpwings on my right bicep, that I got while I was home on leave before going to Nam right out of Jump School; a pelican standing on a pier piling that I got before I was in the Army, to remind me of my SF Bay roots; my first name on my right shoulder, another exercise in tattooing my self [left handed].

So, who else out there is tattooed? Particularly military ones. Sid, LT, I know you two wildmen have some. David, I've seen yours in some of your pictures. Describe them. James, tell the story about yours for the FNGs. I know there's more than us out there.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default THE BIG ATTRACTION

An Irish Claddagh with the names of my wife and kids.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default THE OTHER SIDE

The Celtic knot was from a design from the Book Of Kells. I designed the tattoo, combining two very Irish designs.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tom

While in Pleiku a few of us brave old guys went to the local Tattoo place, I was going to get The 25th inf patch put on my sholder, Good thing I didn't, a week latter I was in the 4th inf.

I always wondered why anyone would put a picture on there body, for the rest of there life, that they wouldn't hang on there wall.
This may be different in your case, but in general, the stuff I see on people I am sure there is no picture like it on there wall.

Ron
Old 06-07-2003, 03:17 PM

Got one of a V.C. Skull, coolie hat with a red star pinned to the hat on my right forearm. Can be seen in the summer with a short sleeve shirt. Gets a lot of attention when I go to the VA Hospital, even from the staff.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 04:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default RON

Like I said, they're definately not for everyone. All of mine mean something personal to me, and are a statement of who I am. More than just pictures to me. Tats aren't neccesarily permanent these days, but getting rid of them is ALOT worse than getting them. Ask James. If you're sitting on the fence about one, for sure DON"T get one. If they had the colors back when that they have now, I'd have more. Every once in awhile I think of getting another one on the other leg. Like I said, I'm pretty comfortable with mine.

SARGE: . Try to post a picture. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MY momma didn't raise me to be no walking comic book

Well, since you insist.
I had two tattoos removed.
I got a naked woman on my forearm while in Panama and then a paratrooper tattoo on the other forearm.--you can see this one at: http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
Only someone who thinks his future is not gonna be long gets a tattoo in a visible place--haveing a naked woman on my forearm was a worse stigma then being a Vietnam Veteran by far. This definitely tells the world: Here is a person prone to stupid mistakes. Definitely a direct shot to the foot, done by self (drunk).
DOH!!!!
It meant that for years, if I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, that I had to listen to everybody's bullsht about it. And of course everybody's standard comment: you must have been drunk out of your mind when you did that, which of course was true.
Finally My dad came to me in 1994 and offered to pay half of it ($1200) if I wanted to get them removed and I was like: Yeah!!!!!I can DO that!!!
Oh, THE best move I've made in years psycologically, better than getting my teeth fixed. Having a naked woman and a paratrooper tattoo on one's arms tends to give one the low ground in relationships right from the start, ax me how I know this. Yr always fighting wih a handicap when it comes to who makes the judgement calls. Now I can take a much better kind of woman psycologically hostage with much less effort.
It took 4 laser sessions which were just hella painful, about like drawing a cigarette down your arms for 45 minutes per session. WHat the laser does is set the hardened ink to boiling under your skin where it dissipates. Is this painful? Did I just say: "BOILING UNDER YOUR SKIN???" YOOOOWWWW!!!!!!! But worth it!!
I could have got topical anesthesia but elected not to because I would have had to get there an hour and a half early so I gritted my teeth. The doctor was about the surliest I ever saw in a doctor or dentist, I asked him was he watching the 49ers (they were hot then) just to be pleasant and he went into this long tirade about professional gladiators ruining the culture. I didn't know what to say so I didn't say nothing, just lay there and thought of pleasant things--no sense antagonising a crazy person who's setting your cells to boiling, I always say.
The woman is completely gone but you can still see the outline of the eagle and there's still some green tinge where it said Army--ARMY!!!!what was I thinking?? DOH!!!!

This was one of the best things I ever did for myself--don't even think about getting one. Or get a temporary one for a few days and see how you like it.-the best ones are the ones that wash off when you sober up

James
Old 06-08-2003, 02:22 PM

Frisco-kid, I'll try to get my wife to take a picture and get someone to post it on this site. I don't have a printer or scanner. Let me see what I can do.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Here's mine

I been told it is one of a kind, I designed it my self. Got it done in Baltimore Md. in 1980.
Sorry for the quality I scanded it (don't have digital camera).
Old 06-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Here is mine

Right shoulder is the SF crest. Left shoulder is my SOG RT patch, CCS RT Lighting. My Brother has his Marine Recon patch on his shoulder, 5th recon Battailon 3rd FMF.

Right shoulder