Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Bush orders review of veterans' hospitals

AP

ASHINGTON - President Bush ordered a comprehensive review Friday of conditions at the nation's military and veteran hospitals in the wake of a scandal surrounding care for wounded troops at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

The White House said the president would name a bipartisan commission to assess whether the problems at Walter Reed existed at other facilities.

The action came after The Washington Post documented squalid living conditions for some outpatient soldiers at Walter Reed and bureaucratic problems that prevented many troops from getting adequate care.

Bush devoted his weekly radio address ? to be broadcast on Saturday ? to the problems of veterans' care, and the White House took the unusual step of releasing excerpts in advance. A full text also was to be released later Friday. The administration's response came amid growing outrage about the poor treatment of some veterans ? and the prospect that it could backfire on the White House.

"One of my most solemn experiences as president is visiting men and women recovering from wounds they suffered in defense of country," Bush said his prepared address. "Spending time with these wounded warriors is also inspiring because so many of them bring the same courage they showed on the battlefield to their battle for recovery."

A day earlier, the Pentagon announced the firing of Army Maj. Gen. George W. Weightman, the commander of Walter Reed. In a brief announcement, the Army said service leaders had "lost trust and confidence" in Weightman's leadership abilities "to address needed solutions for soldier outpatient care." It said the decision to fire him was made by Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey.

Bush, in his radio address, said he had asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates to make a firsthand assessment of conditions at Walter Reed. "He confirmed to me there are real problems at Walter Reed and he has taken action to hold people accountable, including relieving the general in charge of the facility.

"As we work to improve conditions at Walter Reed, we are also taking steps to find out whether similar problems have occurred at other military and veteran hospitals," the president said.

"We will use the commission's recommendations as part of our ongoing effort to improve our service to our nation's veterans," Bush said.

The commission to be named by Bush is separate from a review panel appointed by Gates to investigate outpatient care at Walter Reed and the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. The presidential panel will look at all of the nation's military and veteran facilities, according to White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 PM

Always after the fact - go figure.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What the

hell has he been doing these past SIX YEARS????

He's about 5 1/2 years late!

He PROMISED in the 2000 election he would IMPROVE conditions at the VA and in the military, didn't he??

It has gotten WORSE on his watch!

This is nothing but a CYA message to quell the outrage coming at him and his political cronies in charge of all this crap!

I'll believe it when I see it............

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Simple question. The Afghanistan war has been going on almost 6 years. Iraqi war almost 4 years. Where has the news media been all this time ?

Larry
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Sensationalizing the war thats where they have been. THe medial is trying to shape Americas opinon and concept on the war just like they did with the old country. All we need now is for Walter Cronkite to get on the TV and say what he did after the TET offensive.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hey George!

Send money.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

You Know, There are things that just shouldn't have to be told to people. Like don't drive head on at traffic, stay away from the edge of a cliff, Don't pull that Lions tail. and take care of our injured Vets. A big Dahhhh would go along with those. When someone that is in charge of keeping people from pulling on that lions tail and lets someone pull he/she should be held accountable. When someone is in charge of Vets health care and the health care place is not treating vets correctly, he/she should be held accountable. There is no excuse for not taking care of the vets. And then I would also ask , WHY---WHY, would anyone have to tell someone to take care of our vets at a vet health care place?????????
I'd fire the hole bunch and put the vets in a civilian hospital until the situation is checked and fixed and verified. And then have an annual review, if anything was wrong again, and I mean anything, I'd fire the whole bunch again. This lack of treatment of vets is stupid.
Ron
Old 03-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

You sound like me! It's a NO BRAINER....and the people I voted for don't get it. Duhhhh! is a good word!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM

I'll believe it when I see it............