The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Reenactment

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

That is a problem in the SCA..we let anyone play..which means if all ya got is a bubble tent you can use that. As for eras well thats actually set but there are cross overs and also understand you got Europe, the Middle East and the Far East going on.

Around the "eric" where the fighting and the crowns are though it can only be period. For instance my ger is allowed.

But most are trying and at least they do know the history. Got to give em credit for that.

Plus we go to have fun.

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Hoyin

Welcome back !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:15 AM

Awwh thanks! Glad to be back. Like I said ....lifes been hellish lately. But here I am til I go off to Mongolia again.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Good to see you posting again. Pull up a tall glass of fermented mares milk and stay awhile !
Old 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM

Aaaah Airag. Now if you had said Ttsueti Tsai and buuz I'd be here for a long while. Mmmmm.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Hoyin,

I agree with you about the "fun" part. If re-enacting wasn't fun there would be no reason to do it. One thing we really enjoy is the traveling tavern called "The Whistling Pig". It's a big marquee tent where we all gather post-battle and pass around a big wooden bowl filled with what ever spirits we've brought. As the bowl goes round the table, we sing 18th century drinking and ribald songs like "Fathom the Bowl", "Captain Thunder", and "Maids, When You're Young, Never Wed an Old Man" (I love the chorus of that one:
He's got no fallorum,
Fi-diddle, fi-dorum.
He's got no fallorum,
Fi-diddle, di-aye!
He's got no fallorum,
He's got no ding-dorum!
Maids, when you're young,
Never wed an old man!

And you're welcome for the website.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:16 PM

Yeah, that's where the "Creative" part comes in to the SCA. We used to have a great group of folks here in the Capital Region that really tried to get close to the real thing, so to speak. I went to a War of the Roses a few years back. Unfortunately I think the original battle had more foot soldiers than this war did. But it was fun. The thing I liked most about it was the dance classes. There were several of us "attempting" to learn some of the old dances. I still don't know how Queen Elizabeth was so active in a corset! She ussed to do this one dance...I can't recall the name, but it was considered to be athletic, with a lot of jumping and spinning. With all those petit coats and the boned corset and the heavy velvet over skirt...I would have passed out!
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-17-2004, 06:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

DL,

Twice a year the Sudbury Co.'s of Milita & Minute have an 18th century style ball in the main dining room at Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA (at 12th Night and a regimental ball on the Friday following April 19th). We have musicians playing period tunes and we do contra-dancing. Since we only do this twice, it takes a bit of practice to get back in to the "swing" of things. Some of them are quite energetic and wearing wool clothing will make you work up a sweat.

The distaff of our regiments always complain about wearing "stays" while dancing (and the complain even more when they go to the ladies' room).

During the band's rest period, we have the changing of the colors that fly above the front door of the Inn. At 12th Night we fly The Union Jack, which is changed to The Grand Union flag on April 19th, and that is changed to the Betsey Ross flag on the 4th of July. All this is done to 3 "huzzahs" and the firing of muskets. You can take a look at the Inn at http://www.wayside.org/ .
Old 03-17-2004, 05:46 PM

Alright ye Pat, ye convince me! ;-)
Guess I'll be talking the old man into taking a short drive over for the 4th of July Celebration.

This sounds exactly like what we were looking for when we drove to Boston. But instead we found a city that has lost its history under the banner of development. Although they have tried to reclaim it, they seem to have only succeeded in capturing the tourist dollar and not the true meaning of their own history. I doubt if most really know how important their role in the making of this nation really was. How sad for them. But how fortunate indeed that there is a militia intent on keeping the history alive!

God Bless ye Dan!
:-)

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Its amazing what people find interesting enough to spend obscene amounts of money on for these hobbies. I don't do it anymore because I simply don't have the time and arthritis hobbles me more than I care to admit. I was a Rebel soldier in the 11th Virginia in the 70's. My daughter is also into reenacting so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree there, but she does Star Wars battles. Yep, my sweet daughter Angela is a Storm trooper for Darth Vader!!! She and her boyfriend's outfits are so good that she has been invited on numerous occasions to be an "honorary" guard for the likes of Spielberg and company. The two of them even took the time to scorch their armor to make it appear as if they were hit by lasers. Interesting stuff. She is deep into fantasy literature and faeries. It takes all kinds to make the world go around!!

Bill

King John 2.1.466