The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2002, 10:28 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default We Were Soldiers Once and Young

I waited to see the movie and I am glad I did. On my daughters birthday I had dinner ready when she got home from playing golf and she asked me "Mama, do you want to watch this movie with us?" "What movie is that baby?" "This movie that you told us you wanted to see?" So we had dinner and sat down in the living room myself, my girl, my boy and my other girl (not blood but I'm Mom II to her) with the big screen TV and surround sound. It got pretty quite except for what was happening on the screen. I was time traveling and the children were lost in their own thoughts. It has to be strange for those that lived through through the horror of war to see it marketed to the world as we sit in our safe place totally removed from the reality of it. I am sorry for any hurt or anger that may cause you ie "Who the f' are you to think you could understand?" Well we can't and never will be able to. Any more than watching your best friend die of cancer can be understandable to you unless it has happened to you. We were quiet all the way through and we were quiet when it was over. However we have this communication going on between us that comes from years of knowing each other. And we all came away knowing that there is nothing to be said by those that have not experienced war. Only those that were there know. Another thing I believe that the producers of the film did a good job in presenting those that served in Vietnam (with honor) as ordinary good men that did extraordinary deeds and as for me and my house we hold you all in the highest esteem. sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2002, 10:20 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Peace,Griz
Old 09-16-2002, 11:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks Sis

For this ----- and all that you do for us around here.

God Bless,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sis,
Don't know about in your household, but at the theater with my bride where we saw the movie, it was at least a one-half box kleenex level. Thanks for immersing your family in our culture, be it as it may, to aid and abet the understanding process some of us yearn for.
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-16-2002, 02:43 PM

Sis, Thanks for thje thoughts.

I saw this in the theater with my wife and 7 year old grandson. There were parts that made me cry like a baby ... something I had not done in decades. ... what's that word ... cathartic.

The Old Sarge
Old 09-16-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Sis,

I waited to see this movie so I could be with my Family. My wife cryed, My Daughter was in a state of shock and my son-in-law only had this comment aloud " how did you survive that " ? ( My part in the war Jun 67 to Jun 68 ) I am numb at the moment. Now My Daughter whom I am very close to, wants to see my " papers and citations " I put her off and told her I needed time to find them, also need time to figure out how to answer her questions about Vietnam as I saw it.
As for the North Vietnamese Army Unit that attacked my Battery and a Company of ' Grunts " they can all go stright to hell. I hate them, if we'd have won the war there would have been War Crimes trials.
Just blew off some steam, did'nt cuss one time.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I heard once from a guy named Beau that "Daughters are for the healing of the fathers " Sometimes I am not sure but I think he got something going. Welcome home.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Yes she's one in a million

"On the day that she was born the Angels got together and decided to create a dream come true, so they sprinkled sunlight in her hair and stardust in her eyes of blue"

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 09-16-2002, 07:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ArtySgt...

Regarding: "...if we had won the war", you make it seem as if; "America's Finest" lost the war in Vietnam, which is absolutely not the case. Much like at LZ Xray, and even when vastly outnumbered, The U.S. Combat Units usually kicked-ass and took names. I'm sure that the millions of North Vietnamese and VC casualties suffered will attest to that fact.

Whatever, it most certainly wasn't The Finest Military on Earth that put brave people in harms way without the paramount objective of achieving total victory (an absolute must for any conflict). It was America's political warfare micro-managers that did such. And, shame on them (or anyone for that matter) for placing America's Youth at such risk and with a multitude of no-win restrictions insuring no resolution of anything.

Hell, the only sensible thing Our Civilian War Lords did during the 10-12-15 (depends on whose counting) year war,...was to call it a day and bail-out.

I guess that the-bottom-line and/or point to be made for all political warfare micro-managers, is that if Total Victory isn't wanted,...don't waste: "America's Finest" there. Send in The Red Cross or some other such type organizations.

Neil
Old 09-17-2002, 02:19 PM

Default DMZ Lt, Sis and Neal

DMZ Lt and Sis, Thank you.
Neal, you said a mouth full, I know we won on the battle field but they won the war, for the very reasons you stated so well. My point is that we were not able to get our hands on their leaders and put them on trial for war crimes.