Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2002, 05:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation the most magnificent heroes

Go and read the entire article.
http://forums.about.com/ab-militaryh...ages?msg=572.1
Hey,

I am Vietnamese and I currently enroll in an American high school. In honor of Memorial Day, I wrote an article for the Chomper-our school newspaper. Here is the article. I would appreciate all comments and discussion.

When I studied American History, there was one question that suddenly came to me, ?The Vietnam War was officially ended in the year of 1972-after the Geneva Conference, but why only until November 11, 1982- ten years later, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated and opened to the public?? It was, indeed, not the American. Usually, the nation went wild with joy. Towns would declare a holiday, close schools, and have the local drum and bugle corps lead them down Main Street. Cities held colorful parades with millions of cheering, flag-waving civilians lining the route. These homecomings were more than big parties at public expense. The troops were named heroes; they received gold medals, automobiles, or even lifetime baseball tickets. It was the nation?s way of honoring its fighting men-the honor GI?s. The United States had sent them to do the job in her name, and for that very reason they deserved her respect and gratitude. The job done, the country received them back, as a family receives a loved one after a long, perilous and dangerous journey. However, this ritual went topsy-turvy after the Vietnam War. Why? The American GI?s in Vietnam who called themselves the ?grunts?, deserved every ounce of respect and appreciation. There were so many reasons why the Americans should have showed deep gratitude and respect to the grunts.

The saga of Vietnam began with President Kennedy famous speech, ?Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or will, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of liberty.? But who would do all this paying, bearing, meeting, supporting, opposing, and assuring? President Kennedy was blunt. He thundered, ?My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you?ask what you can do for your country.?

Those were more than mere words; they were a warning to Communist leaders and President Kennedy backed his words with force. He started sending advisors and military equipments, turned the America against the North Vietnam, in particular and Communism, in general. By the end of 1963, there were 16,263 Americans serving in South Vietnam. They also jointed in actions against the Viet Cong. Inevitably, advisers lost their lives: 32 died from 1962 to 1963. Slowly but surely, American blood and credibility were being committed to a war on the Vietnamese soil.

Thus, the Americans had sacrificed their blood and tears for the sake of their country and moreover, the peace and liberty of the world. Should those Americans be revered and named heroes?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2002, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up

THANK YOU FOR THE OUTSTANDING ARTICLE!

SEMPER FI ! JIMMY
Old 05-30-2002, 03:47 PM

Default Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words, appreciate you paper.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Thank you

The text brings back a flood of negative thoughts about Nam and returning home. This text however is positive. Again, Thanks, this made my day.