The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default Schindler's List

Well, I have never seen this movie before, and my world studies teacher is showing it to my class on Monday, the only thing she has told us is that it has won awards, it's rated R, so we have to have a slip signed, theres nudity, and strong langusge, but that is it. Well, I've seen Pearl Harbor, I've seen Saving Private Ryan, I've seen D-Day, and I've seen Kelly's Angels, and a whole bunch of other movies that the titles have slipped my mind, but last year, my social studies/civics teacher showed us a Vietnam movie and I cries(I'm not sure if it was because a man died the way my uncle did or just the movie itself) but I'm nervous, because just because one of my relatives didn't die in World War two, doesn't mean I'm not invested in it, so anyways, please if anyone has seen this movies please let me know how it is, don't give away the ending or big details but let me know how it is on an emotional scale and if you enjoyed it or not. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it.

Taylor
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The movie is about the Holocaust and is an excellent movie. It is, though, graphic and very sad but one all High School students should see. When I taught High School many moons ago, late 70's, one of the classes I taught was Holocaust studies. Wish I'd had this movie to show my students.

Not a fun movie to see Taylor, but one that will stay with you forever.

Let me know what you thought of it.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Schindler's List

We didn't get started until today, so we watched the first 90 minutes of the movie, I'm not sure if anyone actually left the room, but I stayed, we got to the part of which the Nazis were having the ghetto completely shot out of all the people who stayed behind, it was very hard to sit still during the movie and I tried to stay as composed as possible, for one I am surrounded by my guy friends and I for one am a tomboy so emotions can't be shown, but afterwards I did go to the bathroom to say a pray and let myself get emotional for a few minutes, it's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that one man could make his people kill innocent children,it was a hard watch. But after saying that I am glad we have a teacher at our school who is willing to get parents on the phone angry about watching a movie like this, and she stills shows us, because I for one, even though she had to pass out permission slips, think that all schools at the appropriate age should see this movie.

Taylor
Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor,

Let me know how you feel at the end. I'm sorry to say, it gets worse, but you will also see how some humanity survives in a see of insanity.

Pack

Old 12-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Schindler's List

Well, we finished the movie today, this is the first time I actually cried during class. I started crying when I saw Schindler broke down, seeing a man devlope these new feelings, going from a selfish man into a caring kinda-hearted man who saved so many people, and knowing that he only wanted to save more, it was hard. And at the end, gonna start talking about the ending so if you haven't seen it please don't read the rest of this, when the real people still alive in '93 and the actor who played them placed the stones on his grave, I think the people who made me cry the most were, the little boy who had to hide in the toliet so he didn't have to get taken to the camps, the little girl with glasses that her and her mother tried to hid while the Nazis were in the ghetto, but they were caught by the little Nazi and he let them go, they showed her a couple more times also, and of course, Emilie? I am not sure if it is Emilie or Emily Schindler, and I later learned that when I got home, she had died in '03, rest in peace Mrs. Schindler. So overall the movie was a very emotional take on the Holocaust, and I don't think it could be protrayed any better, Speilburg did a wonderful job showing the fear that the Jew women had in Auswitz, when the train took the wrong turn, it makes you think in a light that you never could before, and I thnk my teacher for letting us watch it and I think I will cherish it for the rest of my life. I probably will not be going out to rent it, I am not wanting to watch it again for quite some time, because it stirred up a lot of emotions that I need to think about before I re-watch this movie. All and all it was wonderful, very sad and realistic but beautifully wonderful.

Taylor
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor,

I used to enjoy teaching Holocaust studies just to see the reactions of my students. Most children today don't get this kind of education and I am very proud of your teacher for giving all of y'all this opportunity. I'm not sure why some parents would not want their children to learn about this most horrific time in World History. Even youngin's need to know that there is evil in this world and it must be confronted. This is why soldiers, sailors, and Marines go and fight. Try some other movies about the Holocaust. There is one that I'm sure you can find in a large video store called "The Holocaust". it was made in the 70's for television and it follows a few families through that most horrible period. My students love/hated it.

Pack