The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2004, 06:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Happy Birthday, Texas!!

Pausing to celebrate our State's birthday, I've taken the liberty of posting Travis' clarion call to the world - it too bears reflection on this significant day.

Commandancy of the Alamo
Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836

To the People of Texas & all Americans in the World--
Fellow Citizens and Compatriots--

I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man -- The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken -- I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with all despatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country -- Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis Lt. Col. comdt.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default SS

The flag that flew over the Alamo is still in Mexico, They wont give it up. It had a drawing of a cannon on it and read, "COME AND GET IT"

Everytime I go to the Alamo, I can feel there presence, To stand where Crokett stood is a very strange feeling. Those Heros gave Houston enough time to asemble a Army to meet Santa Ana at San Jasento, I take my kid there as well, Hear is where Texas was born. we live in First Colony, The first colony established after Texas declaired its independance and became a Republic.

We all need to give a Thank You to those Tenn. Boys

Ron
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Texas Independence...

...was declared on March 2, 1836, four days before the Alamo fell.

Isn't it ironic that the men in the Alamo never knew that they were fighting and dying for a free Texas.

Well, I guess I'm confused about the Alamo's flag. I always thought that the flag that Santa Anna sent back to Mexico City was the flag of the NEW ORLEANS GRAYS...the "treacherous colonists, and their abettors, who came from ports of the United States of the North."

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Happy B-Day to this huge state.

About the Alamo....I saw it for the first time about 2 1/2 years ago. Its something very eerie to stand in that place. I was also saddened by all the signatures on the walls and place you could tell someone chipped away peices for souviners. Very sad.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Travis' Letter

Travis' letter, as posted above by SS, is considered AROUND THE WORLD to be one of the most dynamic and inspirational pieces of literature ever penned.

Travis was not intimidated in the least over the "thousand or more" Mexican troops.

This is a post script on the letter....

P. S. The lord is on our side-
When the enemy appeared in sight
we had not three bushels of corn---
We have since found in deserted
houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into
the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves---

Travis

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-02-2004, 11:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I know what you guys mean about the feelings you get regarding the Alamo. I feel the same way whenever I walk along Battle Road through Concord, Lincoln, and Lexington, MA. I remember the first time I took part in the re-enactment of of North Bridge (actually, its not an exact re-enactment since the National Parks Department won't allow us to "die" on Parks property; bad the public image you know). I was in the front rank, which was representing the Acton militia, and, lemme tell ya, when I looked across that bridge at all those scarlet uniforms aiming their muskets at me, I was shocked! I felt like I was standing right in front of their muzzles! It was at that moment that I truely appreciated what those men did that day.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Steve

Im not sure what flag the Mexicans have,
the flag with the cannon on it was made by the guys at the alamo,
The mexican goverment sent a cannon to the alamo to protect the citizens against the comanchee indians, The mexican goverment sent word to give up the cannon. There was a lot of unrest and the people that came to the area wanted to be free of Mexican rule, When they refused to give up the cannon, The mexican government sent Santa Ana to get the cannon and return order to the area as a part of mexico. The guys at the Alamo made a flag with the cannon on it and wrote "COME AND GET IT" on the flag, There were several flags from different groups, but this flag was from the guys in the Alamo.

What ever flag the Mexicans have, I think we should go take it back.

Ron
Old 03-02-2004, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The Gonzales Flag

Ron,

The flag you are describing sounds remarkably like the Gonzales flag:

In July of 1826, Gonzales was attacked by Indians, one man was killed and the cabins plundered. In 1831 the Mexican government gave the settlers a small brass or bronze cannon for protection. During the years unrest developed among colonists because of increasing restrictions and controls. As a frontier settlement, Gonzales was destined to play an important role in the resulting Texas Revolution.

The open break with Mexico widened and authorities demanded that the cannon be returned. A corporal and five Mexican soldiers were sent with an ox cart to get the cannon. When this request was refused, officials in San Antonio sent Lt. Castaneda with 100 mounted soldiers to "take" the weapon.

When the cavalrymen appeared on the river bank on September 29, 1835, there were only 18 men in Gonzales to deny the crossing. Those men hid the ferry, buried the cannon in George W. Davis' peach orchard and sent out a call for help. The men, known forever after as "The Old Eighteen" delayed the soldiers for two days, claiming that Alcalde Andrew Ponton was away on business.

On the morning of September 30, Castaneda was met by Reg. Joseph D. Clements, who read the message, "...I cannot, nor do I desire to deliver up the cannon...only through force will we yield."

Castaneda and his men scouted the river for a place to cross, moving upstream some seven miles to Ezekiel Williams' place, near the present community of Cost.

As the women hastily fashioned a battle flag, the cannon was unearthed; Joe Martin donated a wagon for wheels and it was mounted by Mr. Sowell, Mr. Darst, Mr. Chisholm, and others. By now the original 18 had grown in number and more were arriving.

On Thursday evening, October 1, the Texans, 50 of whom were mounted, crossed the river with the cannon, stopped at DeWitt's home and continued along the road.

With the early morning fog lifted on October 2, the Mexicans found themselves confronted by a force of Texans commanded by Col. J. H. Moore, and Lt. Col. J. W. E. Wallace, with the controversial cannon. Over the weapon proudly waved the new flag--a black replica of the cannon upon a white background emblazoned with a star and the words that would echo forever through the years--"Come and Take It!"

When the cannon fired, the Mexican forces broke ranks and fled in terror. The first shot for Texas independence had been fired and the first battle won on this second day of October, 1835.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-02-2004, 03:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks, Rigger!

Great history lesson your provided for one and all! And accurate beyond question. Believe the cannon was nicknmed the "Little Sister."

Along the same vein, following is a poem I wrote several years ago to celebrate and honor Sam Houston, one of my personal heroes, who, few realize, was completely opposed to both secession and to slavery.

"Having read your letter, Travis,
I rushed to what was called The Alamo
Only to find smoking ruins
And the quiet smell of death.

My horse, now lame,
Was replaced by the gift of
A former desperado
A First Texan of native birth
Who furthered the cause of freedom.

Back to Gonzales I raced
An empty town now,
Filled with spring-time buds
Of hope, beyond tomorrow.

Echos of Come and Take It
Followed me to San Jacinto
Where I waited quietly
Beside an oak tree.

Strang how the sounds of
"Under the Armor Tree" sings
The death knell of tyranny.

Sam, how we doubted you then,
With your moves to the East,
And now your brilliance shines
Ever as a beacon
Genius, beside the river.

You told me of the knife,
Thrust deep in your
Heart of hearts, and how
Your love was spurned
Why, the country wondered,
For years.

And now, the grateful
Heart of Texas
Becomes your cenotaph."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-02-2004, 06:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "...and Remember the Alamo!"

SS,

Great poem!

One of my all time favorite songs of the sixties to sing and play on guitar was done by the Kingston Trio:

A hundred and eighty were challenged by Travis to die
by a line that he drew with his sword when the battle was nigh.
"The man who would fight to the death cross over...
but him that would live better fly!"
And over his line stepped a hundred and seventy-nine.

Hi! Up! Santa Anna, we're killing your soldiers below,
so the rest of Texas will know,
and remember the Alamo!

Though Bowie lay dyin', his powder was ready and dry.
From flat on his back, Bowie killed him a few in reply,
And old David Crockett was smilin' and laughin',
The challenge was fierce in his eye.
For Texas and freedom, a man more than willin' to die.

and remember the Alamo!

A courier sent from the battlements, bloody and loud,
With words of fare-well, the letters he carried were proud.
"Grieve not, little darlin', my dyin',
if Texas is sovereign and free.
We'll never surrender and ever will liberty be!"

and remember the Alamo!

Steve / 82Rigger