The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Seem to recall
That the Republic of Vermont was declared as an independant state and later voted to accept statehood and ratify the Constitution. Or was it New Hampshire? Whatever, they were both one then I think.
(Everybody vote? for the site?)
Old 03-04-2004, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to travisab1

I was born and raised in Texas, Goldsmith, Texas. I've been to the Alamo many times. Back in the 60's they'ed let you go down in the basement. They stopped that because of the humidity the people caused made drawings ETC.. on the walls dissapear or diminish.
The whole battle of the Alamo was because Santa Anna wanted to collect Taxes and those folks in the Alamo refused to pay the taxes because Santa Anna, They say, wouldn't protect them from the Indian's. The fire power that Santa Anna gave to those now Texan's who mostly came from Tennessee and Kentucky was far outdated and in need of replacement or repair.
Thought I'd throw this in. I too loveTEXAS.
Regards,
Travis

I could sure use another one right about now...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

During the filming of much of the pre-battle scenes, they had to hire a bunch of folks to replicate the Mexican army troops. Onliest problem was most of the folks trying to sign up were too fat, and didn't know a right-shoulder-arms from an armadillo in heat, and much filing was held up until some serious training could be accomplished. Unfortunately for me, I was out of town during much of this run-up, as I could have fit into the Mexican Army uniform without any sweat, and still know a thing or three about manual of arms, and how to march in a relatively straight line!

But keep trying up there in T-Land, as we need a sure fire movie star here on PF!! I'll be the first toask for your audiegraff!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-04-2004, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry: Re Texas' admission to the union

I found this information on the Constitutions of Texas and the Enabling Act of the Congress of the United States.
While it doesn't specifically answer your question about Texas' ability to vote themselves out of the union, it seems to my "non-legalese" eye that Texas' formal acceptance of annexation and agreement with the Enabling Act of 1 March 1845 would constitute a binding statehood. It would be interesting to read the provisions of the Enabling Act.

Enabling Act (of the Congress of the United States): 1 March 1845 [The act of this date annexing the Republic of Texas to the United States functioned as an equivalent to an Enabling Act authorizing formation of a State government and Admission thereafter; the annexation was formally accepted by the Republic of Texas on 4 July 1845]

? 1st (1836-1845) [Adopted: 17 March 1836 This was the Constitution of the REPUBLIC of Texas, framed by a Convention which convened on 1 March 1836, formally declared independence from Mexico on 2 March, adopted an "Executive Ordinance" to provide for a provisional government for the Republic and then drafted this Constitution, Ratified: 17 March 1836 not submitted to the People]

? 2nd (1845-1866) [Adopted: 27 August 1845 Convention convened, 4 July 1845, Ratified: 13 October 1845 ratified by a vote of 4,174 to 312; effective upon Admission, 29 December 1845]

? 3rd (1866-1869) [Adopted: 2 April 1866 Convention convened, March 1866, Ratified: 25 June 1866 ratified by a vote of 34,794 to 11,235]

? 4th (1869-1876) [Adopted: December 1868 Convention convened, 1 June 1868, Ratified: 3 December 1869 ratified by a vote of 72,395 to 4,924]

? 5th (1876--) [Adopted: 24 November 1875 Convention convened, 6 September 1875, Ratified: 17 February 1876]

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Tim Kuhr,

Vermont was originally called Verde Mont (Green Mountain) by Samuel Champlain in 1609. The territory was claimed by both New York and New Hampshire after the F&I War until 1777 when Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys told both sides to stick it. It was considered to be an independent republic until 1791 when it ratified the constitution. There was a story that when they did ratifiy the constitution, the paperwork sent to Congress had a mis-spelling in which it was called Verte Mont (Insect Mountain) so it was shortened to Vermont. I think it comes under the catagory of "if it ain't true, it oughta be!"

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.