Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Japan Honors Hiroshima Victims

AP

With offerings of flowers and water for those who died, Hiroshima marked the 60th anniversary Saturday of the world's first atomic bomb attack. Vowing to never allow a repeat of his city's tragedy, Hiroshima's mayor called on the nuclear powers to abandon their arsenals and stop "jeopardizing human survival."

At exactly 8:15 a.m., the moment of the blast, the city's trolleys stopped and more than 55,000 people assembled at Peace Memorial Park observed a moment of silence that was broken only by the ringing of a bronze bell.

Then, Hiroshima remembered how the blast turned life to death for more than 140,000 and forever changed the face of war. Outside the nearby A-Bomb Dome, one of the few buildings left standing after the blast, peace activists held a "die-in," symbolically falling to the ground to dramatize the toll of nuclear weapons.

Later Saturday, thousands of paper lanterns, symbolizing the souls of the dead, were to be floated in a river next to the park.

In a "Peace Declaration," Hiroshima's outspoken Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba gave an impassioned plea for the abolition of all nuclear weapons, and said the United States, Russia and other members of the nuclear club are "jeopardizing human survival."

"Many people around the world have succumbed to the feeling that there is nothing we can do," he said. "Within the United Nations, nuclear club members use their veto power to override the global majority and pursue their selfish objectives."

In a more subdued speech, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi offered his condolences to the dead.

"I offer deep prayers from my heart to those who were killed," he said, vowing that Japan would be a leader in the international movement against nuclear proliferation.

Though Hiroshima has risen from the rubble to become a thriving city of 3 million, most of whom were born after the war, the anniversary underscores its ongoing tragedy.

Officials estimate that about 140,000 people were killed instantly or died within a few months after the Enola Gay dropped its deadly payload over the city, which then had a population of about 350,000.

Three days later, another U.S. bomber, Bock's Car, dropped a plutonium bomb on the city of Nagasaki, killing about 80,000 people. Japan surrendered on Aug. 15, 1945, bringing World War II to a close.

Including those initially listed as missing or who died afterward from a loosely defined set of bomb-related ailments, including cancers, Hiroshima officials now put the total number of the dead in this city alone at 242,437.

This year, 5,373 more names were added to the list. This city alone lost 237,062.

Fumie Yoshida, who survived the blast but lost her father, brother and sister, said she chose not to attend the formal memorial, but inside joined a small group of friends to pay her respects privately in Peace Park. Yoshida was 16 when Hiroshima was bombed.

"My father's remains have never been found," she said. "Those of us who went through this all know that we must never repeat this tragedy. But I think many Japanese today are forgetting."

Hiroshima, Japan, after the atomic bomb was dropped there on Aug. 6, 1945
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Hiroshima happened just 60 years ago and the War Between the States occurred over 140 years ago and Atlanta looked just like the above picture after Sherman's March thru Georgia. Today you can't hardly find a soul in Atlanta that cares what Sherman's Soldiers did to Atlanta. So, I would guess that in another 80 years Hiroshima will be just like Atlanta is today and anyone that still remembers what happened to their grandma or grandpa in Hiroshima will get the same reaction from the press that our ancestors that were affected by Sherman's march of destruction"Total annihilation". I can understand Fumie Yoshida's foretelling.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:46 AM

Talking

If you think Shermans march has been forgotten,,You should think again.And,save your confederate money,cause the SOUTH's GONNA RISE AGAIN.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 AM

Sad what happened in Hiroshima..but, as we used to say, 'paybacks are a mother__er!'
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default strange

So many more Japanese died due to fire bomb raids and that seems to be forgotten. The people killed by HE, WP and Nuke are all just as dead. Could this be a, "You Americans are the real bad guys because you used a new weapon". (One that no one else was smart enough to invent.)

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 AM

Ya know its a shame - but what their military did did during the war caused this to happen to their people.

Tragic yes - necessary yes - and would we do it again? I think if we had to - we would.

I've grown up with and around WWII vets and they admit that the bomb saved many more lives on both sides because of it.

Horrible you bet - did anyone learn from it? I hope so. War is very ugly and Japan will always bare the scars from the devastation brought upon them.

I regret the human losses to the innocent but again it had to be done. I salute our government for make the tough decison and having to live with what they had to.

Our scientist made it - we tested it - and it was the ultimate weapon of its day - just imagine if Russia had it or Japan at that time - I'm sure they would've used it against us or them.

That's what it always will be - US or THEM - drop your guard and you become a prisoner.

Deterents I hope so -

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but where is the concomitant messages of guilt or apology from the Japanese? Certainly, I'll admit that war is the most offensive of operations, but when it was brought to our shores, we responded in a way that few nations can, and even fewer understand. The ferocity of the angered American Eagle is a power that weaklings do not want to see unleashed on themselves, for no nation, save us can mete out such destruction and wrath, and no nation, save us, can match our magnanimity in victory.

It is my fervent prayer that the same unyielding spirit and force be present and applied as we continue with World War III.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Geez - Scout WWIII - I hope its not real soon I still have some things I'd like to do before that comes about.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Boats

IMHO, WW III started a long time ago, maybe with the first shot being at the US Marine barracks in Lebanon. There have been many other skirmishes since.....

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Sounds more like a procrastinated endurance run. When I think of WWIII is the gobal killer and the elmination of all mankind. I agree we've been too long without any world wide peace. There is always some conflict or issue taking place worldwide.

My poor kids grew up with this and they and their kids seem to accept the ongoing situation like its an everyday affair. But I remember when things were quiter and you really didn't have to fear many things or maybe it was just that your parents didn't make you aware of the current issues?

Days long gone but I still remember how you could enjoy leaving your door open at night and how quite it was.

I do remember some duck and cover training during my earlier years when we thought the nukes would be dropping - but if you notice today they don't practice that at all.

In fact I don't think anyone has written or published anything on what to do if a territorist attacked or if a nuke fell in ones area?

If and when it happens those people would wander around like lost souls.

The US doesn't have any idea on how to protect us against such devastation. I remember the bomb shelters and the stored food that was always on hand. Like you would survive the nuke when it fell in your area.

We've got to pull ourselves away from the Big Brother thing and get our National Security issues under control. We've got to find another source of energy other than oil. We will then once again sit back and watch the others destroy themselves over other petty issues.

Will it ever stop - God I wish it would - for our kids and grand-kids sake I wish it would.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"