The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2002, 07:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default VA Health Care as good or better than private health care

Found this article at the DAV web site---thought it appropiate considering all the recent discussions.

****START****

VA Health Care Quality: High Marks, But Access Delays Persist
The health care veterans receive from the VA is as good as--and often better than--care provided by the private sector, according to recent reports. The problem is that many sick and disabled veterans face long waits to get the care they need.

In a recent health care study VA performance data from 18 care categories, or indicators, were compared with similar data from managed health care organizations, government sources, and population-based surveys.

For 16 of those 18 indicators, the VA outcomes exceeded the "best-reported" performance data from health care organizations measured by the National Committee for Quality Assurance, Medicare Managed Care Plans, Centers for Disease Control surveys, and Health and Human Services National Center for Health Statistics.

"It's no secret to those who use the system that the VA provides top-quality health care to our nation's veterans," said DAV Washington Headquarters Executive Director David W. Gorman. "It is vitally important, though, that the Administration and Congress provide the VA with adequate resources to not only maintain quality but to ensure timely access by veterans to much-needed care."

Although there is no data available on the total number of veterans either waiting for initial appointments or to be enrolled for care, it is clear from reports received by the DAV that the VA is struggling with a growing backlog of new patients seeking treatment.

According to news accounts, some 4,000 veterans a month are being added to the waiting list at James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital in Tampa. While the VA Medical Center at Bay Pines in Pinellas County reported 12,000 people are on its waiting list.

Veterans in Lebanon, Pa., can wait anywhere from 6 months to a year to get care at the VA medical center there, a local television station recently reported.

"This nation's sick and disabled veterans are turning to the VA for necessary health care in record numbers," Mr. Gorman said. "It is a national tragedy, however, that these men and women often have to wait months to get an appointment because of chronic, persistent budget shortfalls. Why? Because for decades Washington has short-changed the veterans health care system budget."

Mr. Gorman said that changing veterans health care from a discretionary to a mandatory program would correct the existing problem where annual funding of veterans health programs falls far short of what is required to serve all eligible veterans.

"Instead of having veterans health care funding approved each year through the appropriations process, the resources needed to serve all eligible veterans would be provided automatically. Making veterans health care funding mandatory would eliminate the year-to-year uncertainty that has prevented the VA from adequately planning for and meeting the growing needs of veterans seeking treatment," Mr. Gorman explained.

"VA health care has come a long way in its more than 50 years of existence," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi. "This is a new VA, substantially different, profoundly better, and a recognized leader in providing quality health care. This data, in part, explains why so many more veterans are coming to us for their care."

"Today, VA is a health care industry that is highly competitive and in many areas leads the nation," said VA Under Secretary for Health Dr. Robert H. Roswell.

The performance measure system is an evidence-based means to assure veterans receive the best care possible. Even in areas where comparable private sector data is not available, VA has made significant progress.

Clinical statistics only tell part of the story, the VA noted. For the second year in a row, independent surveys confirm that patient satisfaction scores for VA outpatient care top those received by private-sector health care providers.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2003, 05:30 AM

Default OH NO !!!

HAHAHAHAHAH....HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE....HOHOHOHOHOHOHO. ...STOP IT YER KILLIN ME !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocket bridge.jpg (48.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 AM

Talking Bro Gimpy

I KNOW your laughing wildly while throwing that CUE case money up in the air! Thanks for the post I NEEDED something to start my day off with a good laugh. :cl:
Old 02-05-2003, 01:03 PM

how come nobody has ever asked me???
would like just once to participate and i'll bet you a dollar to a donut my answers wouldn't get past the shredder...

dan t
Old 02-27-2003, 09:11 AM

The VA system could be improved but all and all it depends on your needs and services.

I've found some are better than some at providing both. I would hate to say anything else other than to hope it continues and that services are always available to those who need it the most.

Let's face it - medical attention will always be needed at some time or another in our life. My Grand-Father, Dad and Brother all used the VA services. I too have been there for certain things and will go again should it be needed.

It's difficult to say anything bad about a system that is needed so badly. More care - more attention to details - less paperwork to deal with would be nice but I rather have it than loose it.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM

:cd: still waiting for the Lebanon Pa. VA hospital to get back to me its only been six months though I guess I still have another six months to go.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

[...]
Old 03-04-2003, 02:04 PM

Hawk,

Not being critical my visits are anywhere from six months out to 14 months. They system needs to take care of those who are in most need and that I agree on.

But I do know that if your in need go there and ask to see the doctor - they will yell and say you need to make an appointment but they will sneak you in.

Just be persistant! It's a system and when you throw them a curve or get out of line they usually get frustrated a bit - don't worry about it - but do go if you're not well and they will take care of you as best they can.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-05-2003, 03:28 AM

Boats,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have already consulted with
my non-VA doctor, I am still waiting for my initial visit with the VA. But its only been a little over six months now and with the backup I dont expect to get an appointment for another six months or longer. Its shameful how long people are made to
wait to be seen. But what can you do its the way the system
is set up.