The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2002, 08:12 AM

VSO's
I'm going to have to stick up for the VSO's a little bit. The image of the beer swilling, story telling vet is, unfortunately, one that many people have and I suppose we only have ourselves to blame. But that isn't really what it's about. Yes we have a bar, but it exists to fund our programs that benefit both veterans and the community. The post and the bar are seperate entities. The real business of the legion gets done in the monthly meetings. Most people, even most members, never see that side of the VSO. I know that this doesn't help your desire to see all vets get together but I just wanted to try to show that we (VSO members) are all not just a bunch yahoos sitting in the bar.

To get back to your point, the VFW and the Legion posts in my home town work very closely together on many issues concerning vets. But from talking to other people from other places, we are lucky. It's tough to get vets org's to work together locally let alone nationally. And probably less than 5% of vets belong to one anyway. Yours is a noble idea. I have no answers to these problems but if it were to ever come to pass, it would be a powerfull voice for sure. I do agree that one of the biggest problems is that very few of todays politicians are veterans. I really don't think that they know what we were promised or what vets have done for this country.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links