Old 04-26-2002, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default All Women Veterans

sfc_darrel

Registered to :Jan 19, 2002
Posted 05-02-2002 at 14:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The October 2001 Agent Orange Review just arrived in the mail.
"VA Studying Women Veterans Who Have PTSD""PTSD Common Among Women Veterans"
"Volunteers Sought for Study"
are articles on pages 4 & 5.

They are not on the net so I will post them when I get them transcribed.
Joy
-----------------
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. Robert Heinlein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 05-02-2002 at 16:47
Joy..your input will be greatly apprecitated thank you...sis

Profile Qoute
sfc_darrel

Registered to :Jan 19, 2002
Posted 05-02-2002 at 17:12
Arrow, that's what friends are for.
Hugs.
Joy

VA Studying Women Veterans Who Have PTSD

Many women are traumatized while serving in the military. A recent study of female veterans estimated that 60% had experiences at least one traumatic event during military service. The prevalence of serious trauma appears especially high among veterans who have served since Vietnam, who now constitute the majority of female veterans. Most often, military trauma in women involves sexual assault or rape, but other sources are physical assault, accidents, disasters, and even war-zone exposure, including medical assignments that involve exposure to seriously injured personnel.

Women also experience trauma before and after entering military service. In fact, the prevalence of sexual assault during childhood and adolescence appears to be higher in military women than in the general U.S. population.

Traumatic exposure can have profound effects on a person?s well being and functioning, and may lead to the development of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. PTSD occurs not only in combat veterans but also in other survivors of traumatic events such as natural disasters and interpersonal or sexual violence. Among civilian adults in the U.S., the lifetime prevalence of PTSD is 5% of men and 10% in women.

A new research project, sponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Cooperative Studies Program, and the Department of Defense, is designed to address the needs of female veterans and active duty personnel who have PTSD. The new VA study, identified as VA Cooperative Study #494; A Randomized Clinical Trial of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Women, also will test the helpfulness of exposure therapy for female veterans and active duty personnel with PTSD.

PTSD Common Among Women Veterans

PTSD is a prevalent condition among women who have military service experience. A recent population sample of active duty Navy and Marine Corps personnel found that among women, 17.4% had PTSD at some time and 8.3% had current PTSD. The VA National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study estimated that 26% of women who served in Vietnam had PTSD at some point since their service, and 8.5% has PTSD at the time fo their assessment in the 1980s. Current PTSD prevalence in women who served in the Gulf War is 8-10%. Prevalence is substantially higher among women who seek VA treatment for stress-related problems: one study found that 50% of those women had current PTSD.

PTSD is associated with a range of comorbid (occurring at the same time) conditions and functional difficulties, including other anxiety disorders, depression, substance abuse, psychological impairment, poor physical health, and greater service utilization. Thus, PTSD has far-reaching effects on many aspects of the military and veterans women?s lives.

A variety of drugs and phychotherapies are used for treating PTSD. Among phychotherapies, cognitive-behavioral therapy appears to be the most promising approach. One useful cognitive-behavioral technique is ?exposure,? in which a patient is guided through a vivid remembering of a traumatic even repeatedly until the patient?s emotional response decreases through habituation.

Volunteers Sought for Study

The Study will enroll 384 women, who will be randomly assigned to receive either exposure therapy or therapy that focuses on current life problems. Both treatment will last 10 weeks, and the women will be followed for 6 months after the end of treatment to evaluate how PTSD and other symptoms respond to treatment.

The study represents a collaboration between the VA and the Department of Defense. Co-Chairs of the project are Paula P. Schnurr, Ph.D., and Matthew J. Freidman, M.D., Ph.D., from the VA?s National Center for PTSD and LTC Charles C. Engel, M.D., from Walter Reed Army Medical Center. The VA National Center for PTSD is located at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in White River Junction, VT, where Dr. Freidman is the Executive Director and Dr. Schnurr is the Deputy Director. The biostatistician is Ken James, Ph.D., and the study is coordinated by the VACSPCC at Palo Alto, CA.

Women will be enrolled at 11 VA sites around the country: Albuquerque, Atlanta, Baltimore, Bay Pines/Tampa, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas Denver, New Orleans, and Portland. There also will be a Department of Defense site in Washington, DC. Women who are interested in participating in the trial may contact the project at : csp494@nmbus.dartmouth.edu for referral to participating medical centers.

The above article was prepared and submitted by Dr. Schnurr, identified above, especially for the ?Review.?
-----------------
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. Robert Heinlein
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2002, 09:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Thumbs down All Women Veterans

They are no longer seeking volunteers. The results are published as I understand at your local library for the ordering.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:56 PM

Post All women veterans

Update: I received an update on the study from the guy at U of T who says they are still interested in conducting some case studies on a "case by case" (which I think in academia means don't call us) basis. There are other sources if you have no luck where you might be heard. Seems no one wants to tell you what those sources are. One such source i have found for some women is the 5th Ammendment WaC's for women who were discharged due to pregnancy and were forced out even when raped. web site is http://amendment5wacs.homestead.com
Old 07-14-2002, 05:41 AM

Thumbs up All women veterans

another one if I may be so bold to suggest is http://militarywoman.org it's material on sexual harrassment is amazing and a real exposure to the true nature of what is happening and has happened to women patriots who dared to speak out about our great military leaders.. it could be your daughters, sisters, mothers. grandmothers.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:21 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Judy I know most of the men that post regularly on the site and they are good, honorable men that do not have their heads in the bottle or stuck in the sand. Yes there are gender differences. Viva La difference! But mutal respect and concern will usually work in overcoming those difference. I do think it is very difficult for most men to talk about rape, molestation of a child or any harm done to the opposite sex and this is the only reason that you won't get a big response. The good ones that really care are so appalled by the idea I think it is very difficult for them to voice what they feel. Esp those of my generation who were taught to stuff their feelings and "be a man". Which resulted in a life time of emotional rape for them but that is a whole other subject. But one I relate to. sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-14-2002, 08:45 AM

Unhappy All women veterans

Thanks sparrow for your kind words. Viva la difference seems to be one sided to me from where i sit.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:00 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Judy I am sorry you were offended or hurt and I understand you need healing as well as any other. I would never suggest you don't speak out. As far as not signing our real names. I don't want to be rude but unless a woman has a 357 on her bedstand and is sleeping with a cop it is not a wise idea. The more I read the more fear I have for all of us that have put our names out there at one time or another for any reason. The Father expects us to be proactive in guarding ourselves and I for one am going to listen to Him rather than my own foolishness or that of someone elses. sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Angry All women veterans

you are the wiser, my friend ,and I concede on the name issue. My juggular was exposed and the knife was inserted again. i will be more careful and wiser next time.Thank you again for your support.