The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2003, 03:13 PM

Question Anyone else not get ribbons?

I was just curious if anyone that was in The Gulf War 90-91 did not get their ribbons.When I came home I looked at my 214 and there is only a National Defence Ribbon listed.It says nothing of the 4 or 5 others I should have recieved.I know this is petty but it is highly irritating because I can't even join the VFW because I don't have the proper ribbons.
I know I was just a reservist but my Engineer unit wasn't going so I volunteered to go with another unit.The unit I went with was a Quartermaster unit so I had to change my MOS.I am pretty sure there is a ribbon for secondary MOS but not sure so that brings me to 5 missing ribbons.Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well, I had a problem when I got back from Dahran and went to ck my Decoration printout and the SW Asia Campaign wasn't listed I went to ask the clerk about it and he told me I needed my Travel Voucher brought in to prove I was there so, Luckily I had that one still filed away and brought it in the Travel Voucher showed my time in Saudi and a stop in Cairo West Egypt so I ended up with the SW Asian Campaign ribbon with one device so if you are lucky enough to have saved all of your travel vouchers take them to your nearest Military Base records office and they should be able to amend your DD214 or at least credit you for the SW Asian Campaign ribbon. Hope this helps
Old 04-22-2003, 03:19 PM

Unhappy

Sure does help...unfortunately I probably do not have my travel voucher.It burns me up that you spend that time there doing whatever it is your trained to do and you get bunked out of service ribbons.Maybe I can at least get the others that are due to me but I guess the SWA ribbon is out of the question.I guess it does bring up the question....where do they think Desert Shield/Storm was?Oh well,I guess I'll go to the VA office here and give it a shot.Thanx for your help.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

You are most welcome
Old 08-06-2003, 06:25 AM

Houdini,

It took me 30 years before I got my medals and ribbons. The process just takes some time. Keep at it you will get what's coming to you and others. The process is really slow and the manpower who undertake these responsibilities isn't really to quick since its only a job to them.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:28 AM

I just recently joined the VFW and Legion and hopefully I can get behind one or two of these fellas and get some headway.The local VA office is always closed and I never have the time to go to the main branch so now maybe I'll have someone to go to bat with me.Thanx for your replies.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

If you are still in contact with anyone who you served with over there try to get sworn affadavits from them that you served alongside them. Can't hurt!!! Civil war veterans did it all the time to become eligible for pensions.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-15-2004, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Houdini
Your on the right track with letting a service organization officer help you get everything your entitled to.
Just this past February I received all the medals, ribbons and badges I earned, after waiting a year from the time I requested them. I also had my DD 214 updated with the addition of the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross

Get help and hang in there. Only took the Army over 30 years for mine.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 07-16-2004, 06:17 AM

Do you have a County Veterans Service Officer where you live? A lot of guys have found them to be the best place to start with a request like this. Good luck.