0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2003, 06:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Legion or VFW Member?!?

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the American Legion, VFW or one of their auxilliary groups?

Do you believe that american vets must have our service organizations take IMMEDIATE political action, en masse, in Washington to help vets get their rights restored and protected in Congress and the White House?

What are your experiences with the Legion and VFW?

Do you realize that too few Vietnam, Desert Storm or other vets under age 60 are members of AL or VFW? :cd: :ek:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg promise.jpg (29.4 KB, 16 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2003, 06:43 PM

Default My 2 cents

I would be more than happy to join a service organization.....if I could find one that would have me.

It's a shame that, as a 100% service connected disabled veteran, I cannot join the DAV (I was not injured and did not serve during a period of war). I would LOVE to be a part of an organization that lobbies and assists my fellow vets. I feel that I have a lot to offer.

I guess they don't want a female, non-combat-disabled veteran drinking beer with them at their membership halls. I fail to feel sorry for these organizations when they whine about their "shrinking memberships" when they reject those of us who could help to bolster their memberships and bring "new blood" into the mix.

Aren't we who served during peacetime just as valuable as our brothers and sisters who served during wartime?? After all, we "stood the watch" too and could have been called to go to war when we served, too.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:38 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

WHAT!

They have got to be crazy not to "allow" female members!

It never occured to me that this was the reason no women, other than auxilliary, are ever at meetings!

Whoever wears the dang uniform has got to be welcome. This is nuts!

Now I really DO feel stupid.

I'm bringin' this up the very next time we meet. I might even have to cause a heated discussion about it.

On behalf of my imbecilic comrades, please accept a sincere apology.

Geez...
Old 08-14-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Specifics

Thanks Blue, for your support.

I think that the fact that I am a PEACETIME vet is more the issue than my gender. What I resent about these service organizations is that they don't recognize my disabled status or my service for membership because I am not "combat disabled" and did not serve overseas or during a period of war. I served stateside during peacetime, so guess I am SOL.

DAV: Ineligible for membership because I am not COMBAT disabled. Up until lately, what female vet is??

American Legion: Ineligible for membership because I did not serve overseas.

Veterans of Foreign Wars: Ineligible for membership because I didn't serve overseas during a period of war.

AMVETS: They will have me.

I have ceased feeling sorry for the DAV, VFW and American Legion when they whine about their shrinking membership rolls. It seems like they should welcome all vets, male and female, who did "our bit". In these days and times when it is so essential that our service organizations have the numbers and the resources to lobby Washington for better veterans' benefits and rights, NO VET should be excluded, dammit!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great post and great points !!! It shows how many veterans have been alienated by these "service organizations" over the years. They really need to get their collective act togeter...and soon.

Larry
Old 08-16-2003, 09:05 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Everyone would agree, know what to do and getting it done are quite different things...

What I am hoping is that other service org members will see this, or will have already thought of it and might be inspired to make a point...

The way I see it is to ask all female vets to picket their local service orgs, and be sure to let the newspaper reporters know in advance.

For my part, I intend to bring it up every chance that comes up.

I ain't pleased about this situation.

Its stupid in this day and age.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:28 PM

Default theoddz

The eligibility requirements for the American Legion do not require that you serve overseas. The dates of your service is what determines your eligibility. If you tell me your dates of active military service I can tell you whether or not you are eligible to join. Congress sets date parameters for times of conflict and those are the periods of time that the Legion uses. All those with honorable service, both male and female, are welcome.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

sfga -
Thanks for some good news...
Old 08-18-2003, 03:09 AM

Default BLUEHAWK

With regard to your first post, I agree that many Legion Posts are dying because they haven't recruited "new blood" and the older members make all the decisions. That is not good for the organization. Our Post has made a determined effort to constantly recruit for new members and keep the organization growing. The majority of the active members are Vietnam and Desert Storm vets. Currently our Post Commander and all three Vice Commanders are Vietnam vets as are the last two Past Commanders. The Executive Committee, which makes all the major decisions for the Post has 10 Vietnam vets and two Korean War vets. The younger people are running our Post.

We continue to recruit new members in the town and contact them when they return from service. We also distribute blue star flags to the families of active service people and give free memberships to those on active duty. We sponsor the Memorial Day parade and Veterans Day parade in the town and have an open house at the Post with all invited, both marchers and spectators. This is where we do a lot of recruiting, on Memorial Day we signed up six new members.

As for dealing with VA, we are very successful. Once a year we bring in the VA service officer to sign people up for their hospital benefits card. Ads in the local newspapers for a month before the event alert all veterans (members or not) that the service will be available. Last year we had more than fifty vets attend to register with the VA.

Our Post feels that it takes work to keep the Organization alive, healthy and growing and we are willing to work at it.

Current eligibility dates since Vietnam:
Vietnam 02/28/61 - 05/07/75
Lebanon/ Grenada 08/24/82 - 07/31/84
Panama 12/20/89 - 01/31/90
Persian Gulf 08/02/90 - Current
If you served even one day of your enlistment in any of these periods you are eligible. Again, I wish to add that these dates are determined by the US Government, not the Legion.

Sorry if I rambled.

Regards,

Paul Cain
Vice Commander
AL Post 334 Floral Park, NY
Old 08-18-2003, 05:21 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks Paul -
I see what has happened in my thinking now... I was viewing the health of the Legion from the standpoint of the experience I am having thusfar in it, which is as described... almost NO other Vietnam or Desert Storm vets at all, ever, and NO women vets either. I see that this is a local thing now.

I also hope theoddz will see your last post including eligibility dates, so she can figure out if she can join a post in her hometown. If not, then I hope she might consider coming into the auxialliary. It is difficult for me to imagine any post not doing all we could to find some way for ALL vets to take part.