Old 03-23-2004, 04:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool ?Freedom costs a price? to city mourning Marines

?Freedom costs a price? to city mourning Marines

By Darrell Smith
The Desert Sun
March 21, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TWENTYNINE PALMS -- The sign outside New Testament Baptist Church on the way to Twentynine Palms tells the high desert city the congregation supports its troops.

On Saturday, like many in this tight-knit Marine town of 26,000, they mourned for them, too.

Three more Marines from the Marine Air Ground Combat Center died Thursday in Iraq, came the news from the Department of Defense Friday.

Brandon C. Smith of Washington, Ark., and Ricky A. Morris of Lubbock, Texas, both 20, both privates first class, both assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, died facing enemy action in Al Qaim, Iraq.

Hours later, the Defense Department reported that Cpl. Andrew D. Brownfield, 24, of Summit, Ohio, died Thursday from wounds suffered in a mortar attack at Al Asad Air Base. He was assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron 374, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I Marine Expeditionary Force.

At New Testament, a small group of parishioners and the church?s associate pastor spruced up the roadside church -- a fresh coat of paint for the doors, a rake through the dirt, sand and rock out front. And they thought about the news that once again has hit their community.

Fifteen troops from Twentynine Palms have now died in Iraq.

"It hurts, but this country was founded by people who died for our freedom," said Ralph Najera, leaning on a post outside the church. "It hurts when they die, but freedom costs a price and we forget that."

Several Marines are part of New Testament?s congregation, they said; it?s a "street-preaching, soul-winning" church, in the words of parishioner and veteran Jim Turcuit.

Turcuit, who fought in World War II, said he knew and understood the sacrifices troops make.

"Being an American, the only thing I can say is it?s worth whatever it is you have to give," he said.

Brad Wolf hadn?t heard the news. The shock was in his eyes.

"It?s shocking news being that these guys were from here," he said. "I?m just hoping it?s people I didn?t know."

Wolf owns Doc?s Military Surplus, a dark, postage stamp of a store on Adobe Road packed nearly to the ceiling with stacks of shirts, rucksacks, dress blues and BDUs, the desert camouflage that is standard-issue for Iraq-bound Marines.

A lot of the young guys come into the store, many from Brownfield?s 3rd MAW, the retired Navy petty officer said.

Wolf didn?t know many of their names, he said. He?s in a business where faces matter just as much.

But hearing the news that Marines he may have known are gone, left him struggling for words.

"It?s a shock. I don?t know what you should say," Wolf said. "You hope everyone comes back safe and sound, but it?s hard when you?re in that kind of situation."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darrell Smith's column appears Sundays. Reach him at (760) 778-4669 or by e-mail.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/st...321025340.shtml

Ellie
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links