The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2004, 07:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Ballantine Beer CO.

My Grandfather and Father both worked for the Ballantine Beer CO. , in Newark N.J. , for over 30 years , they were machinists. We lived across the street from the plant for many years. The plant closed in 1971. In 1971 I was in VietNam and my entire pay check minus $50 was sent home while Dad looked for work. Both my Grandfather and Father have passed. I have not drunk a Ballantine Ale in over 34 years. I thought when they closed the plant that was it. At the campout Andy said he could buy Ballantine Ale in MA. Last night two six packs of Ballantine Ale showed up at my door and are in the frig now. Going to put one can by my Dads picture and tonight Opa , my Dad and I (the new Opa) are going to pop the top of some Ballantine Ale for the first time in a long time. Thank you Andy. Damn sandstorms
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2004, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Unhappy Lt

I have a sandstorm going too. Just the thought of a friend of mine drinking Ballantine and it's all my fault.

Except when I was 17, never drank the stuff without eating a real Italian pizza. Pizza neutralize the taste but you still get the buzz.

Just for old time sake, why don't you open the first can with a church key.
Glad/proud I could help.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-26-2004, 10:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Good idea , I got an old Ballantine church key too. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thats really neat Andy. I remember when my dad would come home from work the first thing he did before he said anything to anybody was pour a shot of 4 Roses whiskey and pop a can of Ballentine, down them both. Now he was ready to converse.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-26-2004, 10:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I used to drink Ballantine Ale and loved it. I also drank their India Ale. (Rember that Lt?) Had a golf "stimie", or ball marker that was my dad's. It was the 3 rings....a Ballantine give away. Came on the sixpack along with the church key. Most of us remember when you bought a six pack the key came with it.

Way to go Andy..........Lt, enjoy one for my dad.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-26-2004, 08:44 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Andy..YOU DA MAN!Very smooth move on your part.
I`too imbibed in my fair share of Ballantines Ale.Yeah,the India Ale was special stuff,for sure.
Do yous guys remember Knickerbocker?Do they still make it?

Peace,Griz
Old 05-26-2004, 08:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

You east coast genteil have your Quaility Brews but out here in God's country we drink the nectur of the God's as pure as heavens rain itself. the brand name is Schmitz but us loco's call it animal beer because the cans are rear art pieces of art with pictures of animals and stuff like that.. If you get drunk enough its pretty good stuff too just ask Griz.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:10 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Beer

Bob, Four Roses and Ballantine, what class! I recall Dad drinking Fleischmann?s and Hampton Beer, later it became Piel?s Beer. Course Dad would also go to Harry?s Caf? and ask for an egg in his beer. I?ve tried it, don?t care for it. First time Dad saw me drinking a bottle of Blackstone Merlot he asked if I was bi.

Packo, Doc Fred was really nice at Psycho Mt, he remembered that I like Indian Pale Ale and brought a six pack. Of course after pounding JD and Moonshine the pale ale paled. And the church key, we had to ask for one at the package store (liquor store). Sometimes they gave us one, usually charged us 5 or 10 cents. Nothin?s free around here except opinions.

Griz, haven?t seen a Knick in years. If they still make it, must be a NY City thing. Do you remember Narragansett Beer? For a while that was all that they sold at Fenway. On a really hot day in the bleachers it almost tasted like, like beer.

Chris, last time I drank Schmitz was in PA. They sell it there. Around here micro breweries are all the rage. Holyoke Brewery - Amber is my current thing. Still haven?t had any hard stuff since Georgia. Between Sid?s pickles, the shine and JOHN, I?m still not right. If Sid brings a jug of pickles to the west coast, beware. That?s all I?m saying, just beware.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I remember listening to Red Sox games on WHDH radio when I was a kid back in the '50s and 'Gansett was a huge sponsor. And I still remember the jingle:

Hi, neighbor!
Have a 'Gansett!
Give this lager beer a chance!
It has that straight from the barrel taste.
In bottles, cans, on tap, it's great.
Yes, 'Gansett's got the flavor,
Narragansett flavor.
'Gansett's light,
But not too light.
Straight from the barrel taste,
That's right.
That's 'Gansett.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

34 years between Ballantine Ales. I would not recommend waiting so long. It was GREAT !!! Man , Dad and Opa can really hammer them down , we had a great time visiting and that can next to Dads picture is just perfect. I think there is a can left but maybe not. Thanks for the time travel Andy. Was trying to watch the Country Music Awards last night but Dad kept switching to the Playboy channel and Opa would not keep quite. Scouts out ! Toby Keith rules !