The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2002, 07:57 AM

Post Peleliu

I have been working on a website for my great uncle who was KIA on Peleliu 15 Sep 1944. I have learned a great deal about him and the Marines who fought and struggled through the jungles of the pacific. Each one is a personal hero. Thank for the sacrifices you made.

God bless everyone of you

Please visit: http://eagar64.homestead.com/joe.html
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2002, 05:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default units

Hi austin,
What unit was your great-uncle in? I worked with a guy that was wounded on Peleliu. He is retired now, but he lives right up the road from me.

chilidog

p.s. welcome to the site.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 09:20 PM

Default Peleliu

He was in Baker Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. My uncle was involved in Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Cape Glouchester, and finally Peleliu were a mortar round hit him on the initial landing.

Please tell your neighbor thank you from my family for all he did in WWII

William Eagar
Peleliu 1944, Tribute to PFC Joe South
Old 07-21-2002, 04:36 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default my friend

austin,
I visited my friend today. He was in A/1/7. He didn't know your great-uncle, but he stomped a lot of the same mud. He remembers the day that your great-uncle died very well. It gave me goose-bumps to hear just the little bit that he told me. It sounded like he was talking about something that happened just last week. "A" company came in on the right flank of the first wave. "B" company came in directly behind them on the second wave. "A" company moved to the right down the beach. The right flank of "B" company was to link with the left flank of "A" company. Mortar shells were hitting all around. My friend got his second PH on Peleliu.

My friend is new to the internet and is still learning his way around. He told me that I could give you his e-mail address if you would like to ask him any questions, but I am hesitant about putting someone's personal info out on the internet. You can PM me if you like and I can get the two of you together.

One more thing: Mister Woody....If you get on here and read this, you will always be a hero in my eyes.

chilidog
Old 07-22-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Great Uncle Joe

Austin,
I just got through viewing your tribute site and wanted to let you know you have a great thing going....
After seeing the cemetery pictures I was immediately taken back some 30 years to when I stood in that same cemetery. It hasn't changed at all ! I have some of the same photos that you have. I, however didn't know anyone in the cemetery, but then again I knew EVERYONE. I was only 10 years old then but already I knew what WWII was. The battles portrayed on the maps were some that I had read about and studied. It made a lasting impression.
Did you get over to Corregidor while you were in the PI? Another place of lasting impression for me.
Best of luck on the site. Lets honor those who gave all and asked for nothing in return....
Old 07-22-2002, 07:33 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default address

austin,
Let me know if you have any trouble with that address. I am anxious for you to come back and post what you find out. He may tell you something I haven't heard from him yet.

chilidog