The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Warriors Saloon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2005, 03:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to airforcegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to airforcegrrl

Magic the Gathering Card Game came out back in the late 80s. Mostly as a way to give the D&D geeks something else to play. There was a test Alpha version that came out and later the more popular Beta version. Since then a whole series of version and additions have come out with each series before it becoming more rare and collectible. So i'm always curious what my old cards are worth in a simple ballpark figure The premise of the game is simple you create a deck of cards filled with spells, creatures, and mana (mana is what is used to "tap" into to do your spells and call yrou creatures) and you duel one on one or with multiple players. The decks also come in colors; red, blue, green, white, and black. You can also mix colors to your pref. It's a very user friendly game and a ton of fun to play, i just haven't in years.

They do come in packs like football or baseball cards just no gum. You can also buy pre-made decks for play and can buy cards individually.

No problem on the explaination I dont mind.

I"m actually an Air Force Grrl using the original term for Grrl meaning grunge or punk girl. A Grr-irl if you will. Now a days grrl has come to mean lesbian or dyke but a few still hold out the old meaning of a girl that doens't take shit from any one. Plus i'm in the air force so that's convient too. been using airforcegrrl since Tech School back in '99 and it stuck ever since.

Insanities Plea
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by airforcegrrl Magic the Gathering Card Game came out back in the late 80s. Mostly as a way to give the D&D geeks something else to play. There was a test Alpha version that came out and later the more popular Beta version. Since then a whole series of version and additions have come out with each series before it becoming more rare and collectible. So i'm always curious what my old cards are worth in a simple ballpark figure The premise of the game is simple you create a deck of cards filled with spells, creatures, and mana (mana is what is used to "tap" into to do your spells and call yrou creatures) and you duel one on one or with multiple players. The decks also come in colors; red, blue, green, white, and black. You can also mix colors to your pref. It's a very user friendly game and a ton of fun to play, i just haven't in years.

They do come in packs like football or baseball cards just no gum. You can also buy pre-made decks for play and can buy cards individually.

No problem on the explaination I dont mind.

I"m actually an Air Force Grrl using the original term for Grrl meaning grunge or punk girl. A Grr-irl if you will. Now a days grrl has come to mean lesbian or dyke but a few still hold out the old meaning of a girl that doens't take shit from any one. Plus i'm in the air force so that's convient too. been using airforcegrrl since Tech School back in '99 and it stuck ever since.
Thanks...

I one time played Dungeons and Dragons with my youngest son... his stated opinion at the time was I "lack imagination."

I was in Tech at Sheppard, 1964, Recip A/C Mech school, 43151A was the AFSC... I boxed for the squadron in the Base competition, got my arse handed to me by a guy in Missile Maint

What's your AFSC, or job (since I no longer understand the new numbers they're using)?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:36 AM

I"m a Tech Controller, or Water Walker the new AFSC is 3C2X1. Was Tech like flight line maintenance? Sqd sports has boiled down to football, softball, baseball, basketball, soccer, billiards, organized runs, and a few others i can't remember but know they have national teams

Insanities Plea
Old 11-14-2005, 11:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by airforcegrrl I"m a Tech Controller, or Water Walker the new AFSC is 3C2X1. Was Tech like flight line maintenance? Sqd sports has boiled down to football, softball, baseball, basketball, soccer, billiards, organized runs, and a few others i can't remember but know they have national teams
a.What does a "Tech Controller" do?

b. What means "Water Walker" in the United States AIR Force?

Tech, was "Technical School"... i.e., the step one took immediately following BMT at Lackland, when the AFSC was assigned (in case you happened to pass the final exam ) That was when you got your Blue Rope.

My AFSC was like flight line maintenance, yes... we were the guys on career track for Air Crew and Crew Chief, should we survive both BMT and the CMSgt.

431 meant aircraft (not engines) mechanic, the 5 meant your skill level (e.g. 1 was Tech School, 3 was first stage, 5 was second stage, 7 was third stage etc.), and the A (or final letter) meant which kind of aircraft... in my case the A stood for reciprocating aircraft... hence 43151A. The closest I ever got to a jet engine was touching the nacelle on that old B-36 they used to have parked at Chanute Field. I did walk past a few B-52s another time, I think it was at Minot.

My aircraft started out first with the beautiful and very fast U-3A (Cessna 310), then some work on the venerable C-47D, then my sentimental favorite of all time, the hugely unglamorous but very effective C-123B model "Provider." In the beginning (early 1964) we just did short hops of cargo all over the USofA, every AFB you can possibly name... but by the end of that year we were all of a sudden being trained by returning MAAG-VN AF personnel (NCOs mostly), for WTF we had not a clue at my extreme slimeball low level... and then we began doing a WHOLE LOT of training of butter bars headed in an westerly direction over the big water... destined for Da Nang and the eventual Provider Squadron at Ton Sun Nhut. In other words, we were experiencing a lot of touch and go's and emergency descents with (hopefully) a Major or a Captain in the left seat. If lucky, we got a Light Bird there. In pilot cahoots with the Tower, from time to time, we'd hear things like, "Gear not down! Go around!" [on base leg to final and, maybe, 600 feet altitude]... pucker factor supreme in that center seat.

By the time I got out, they had begun changing the paint job on our B models, to that familiar cammo colors... and later on, the USAF (in its "wisdom") saw fit to change our designation from ATC to AETC, don't ya know... as if it made a WHOLE lot more sense to call the teachers Air EDUCATION and Training Command, instead of just a simple Air Training Command.

Our job was maintenance on the entire aircraft except for engines, paint (other than shining some aluminum endless times ), instruments/avionics (we didn't HAVE "avionics" exactly, we had instruments ), and loadmaster (tho we were expected to know what an unbalanced load looked like.) I didn't have much to do with changing tires either, but I knew what to look for and could do it in a pinch.

We thought we were hot snot because our duty station was in the hangars, right next to Base Ops... so, Airman Bell was on every dang manifest he could possibly get on Saw a lot of America that way... slept in a lot of TDY quarters too, without benefit of per diem. I always figured my real duty station was wherever my airplane was.

I think our only inter-flight squadron sports other than boxing, at the time, were trolling for babes and playing Hearts.

Prob'ly a whole lot more than you ever wanted to know, but there it is.

We didn't see many, or enough, air force girls, much less any grrrrrls... back then. So, this entire thing is kinda new to me.

Don't mean to bore or offend.

Sir Zoomie Blue
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM

A Techincal Controller is my AFSC name 3C2X1, 3 being the Career Group Ours is Support, C being our career field ours being Communications, 2 being our Job Functional Area which is Tech Control, X is for the skill level still 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, and finally the 1 indicates any further subdivisions within the Job Functional Area. Not all have them so normally it's just a one, but for aircraft they still use A and B. We still have Tech school, and depending on your career field depends on how long it is. Oh and everyone goes to tech school, even if they fold towels at the gym. didn't get a rope or anything, though the ropes in tech school more or less assisted teh Training Leaders in running things. Boot camp still has a test to graduate plus the PT portion. I still can't believe that people fail it, it's the easiest frellign test on the planet and we study the book from the time we arrive till we test too! any who...

I work on networks, mostly install and maintenance of the technical kind. I'm a glorified network plumber. I pick up the problem from where you cable from yoru computer meets the jack in the wall all the way back to it's final destination at the distant end. let me know if i lost you and i'll break it down some more I get to play with a lot of cool communications equipment. I get to meet a lot of interesting people, no i don't get to kill them. I also get a lot of training that would normally cost me a fortune on the outside for free. Though the air force is stingy about paying for the tests so i still have to fork over money for my A+ and CCNA certifications. But you make do with what you go and with the military now paying 100% tuition assistance i'd be retarded not to jump on it

Water Walker is a Tech Controller's way of saying he/she's hot shit. IE: we walk on water

I myself don't have a whole lot of america experience or deployment experience. Been in 6 years only been deployed once. Still at my first duty station in Langley AFB VA. Saw Scott AFB in IL for a week, and got to experience White Sands Missile Range in Orogrande NM. Been across the east pond to Al Udeid in Doha Qatar last summer. And that's about it. Had plenty of opportunities to deploy just orders getting passed up for one reaon or another. Mostly cause i was needed more in the office than abroad. I pride myself in being a one woman operation Keeps assholes from frelling things up. Comm is a difficult career field since most women dont' cut it. And Tech Controllers very rarely see a lass that can hack it on top of that. Much like Telephone doesn't get many girls due to the strenght requirements Tech Control doesn't get girls cause it requires a certain mental capacity. Mostly understanding not just how computers work but also how networks operate. I think the going rate in my squadron right now boy to girl is 20-1 and across the air force the numbers quadruple for the men while the women get one to two more.

You didn't bore me or anything, i like learning about what it was like when you old fogies were in

Insanities Plea
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Robert J Ryan

Decaf with a shot of sugar free vanilla please, leave room for half and half. Like my coffe like my women hot light and sweet, unless I can my hands on dark sweet one.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:51 AM

Like MY coffee like I like my men: Hot, strong & bitter
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 AM

Looks like i'm gonna need to get another coffee machine. (giggles)

Insanities Plea