The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2002, 04:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Its In The Water

At a juncture of time when bio-terrorism is first and foremost on the minds of most of America, yet another startling revelation has just been brought to light!

It seems that the Surgeon General is warning Americans that the ?FLU? is also a deadly viral killer, taking more that 20,000 lives in our nation annually! And the older you get, the more susceptible you become!! As a matter of fact, some 114,000 Americans are hospitalized for this disease yearly. And of course, who knows how many more opt to treat themselves, suffering from raw throats, snotty noses, hacking coughs and an irritable ass (diarrhea)!

The Surgeon General calls influenza: ?A preventable disease?, and with the drought also a pressing problem, one has to wonder if this too is exacerbating an already chronic situation!

To add insult to misery (drought-wise), even the Denver area is feeling the pinch. This pristine mountainous region is even talking about the need to recycle sewage (that?s shit to you and me) for re-consumption next summer should the drought hang on until then!

Now correct me if I am wrong, but does not some of the finest and tastiest brew emanate from this area? Am I to assume that this same "Crappy-H2O" , will also be used in the "Suds-Brewing Process" as well? (Only a question?!) ?And if so, is this not carrying recycling just a bit too far?, not to mention the fact that "Beer & Limberger" don't mix!

Hey WAZZA, what?s the chances of getting a few care packages from Down-Under?

?MAKE MINE FOSTERS!!?

VERITAS
Old 10-08-2002, 07:28 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Default Ewww about the crappy water thing

San Diego actually was considering the recycled sewage thing last year or so ago. HA who the hell thought that up.
Coming from the greater NY area I know what good water tastes like and personally I would move immediatly from a place that ever got the S*&% flowing through my tap.

NYC has the best water in the whole country!

The drought situation is bad out here. In Escondido (about 30 minutes from SD proper) there was a body of water called Lake Hodges. It now has trees that stand taller than me. Ummm no water to be found there. The rain is coming soon we only hope for the 1.7 or so inches we may get in a three month period.

hehe another funny bit:
By Andrew Bridges
ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 8, 2002

LOS ANGELES ? A controversial proposal to store water beneath the Mojave Desert for use in Southern California was killed Tuesday by the Metropolitan Water District. The MWD board voted by a slight margin to not proceed with the $150 million project by Santa Monica-based agricultural company Cadiz Inc. An earlier motion to continue with the project failed to pass. "We're disappointed, obviously, the project didn't go forward today," said Wendy Mitchell, director of external affairs for Cadiz. "We don't feel the public's interest has been served."
In a weighted vote, the board approved the measure not to proceed with 50.25 percent, or the bare minimum needed for approval. "The Cadiz project at this point doesn't represent reliability," MWD board member Timothy Brick told his colleagues before the vote. "It represents just the opposite ? risk."
Board member Wesley Bannister said consumers will need water the project could have provided. "We may not need it now. We may not need it next year, but I guarantee you we will need it," Bannister said during the discussion. "To shut the door on it today is not the right way to go." Opponents of the project, led by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., had mounted strong opposition, complaining it will damage the fragile desert environment. They welcomed the move by the MWD, the state's largest water district with 17 million customers. "It represents a really sound public policy decision," said Simeon Herskovits, senior staff attorney with the Western Environmental Law Center, which represents various groups opposed to the project.
The project had been cited as a key part of California's plan to cut its overuse of Colorado River water by 2015. California must have a plan in place by Dec. 31 or could lose a significant portion of its river allotment. MWD and Cadiz would have jointly owned the project and split the $150 million price tag. The plan called for the MWD to store surplus Colorado River water in a desert aquifer and would have given the district the right to buy from Cadiz naturally occurring groundwater from the aquifer. Monitoring systems would have been installed to keep the water level from dropping too low to support the environment. Cadiz stood to earn $500 million to $1 billion from the plan over 50 years.
The Department of the Interior approved the proposal last month, stating environmental damage could be prevented with the extensive monitoring system.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote