The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Tie a Grey Ribbon 'round the old pine tree

Today's the day that the locals bow their heads.

31 Aug., 1864: Confererate General John Bell Hood is defeated in Jonesboro and the last major rail line supplying Atlanta is severed. Federal General William T. Sherman has lost 178 Federal soldiers in the battle, General Hood has lost nearly 2,000 at the train station in the center of town.

1 Sept., 1864: Sherman telegraphs his President that the South has been defeated and orders the burning of Atlanta and the "March to the Sea." The Confederate States of America are doomed and President Lincloln's re-election is assured.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 AM

A song for the times. I like how the Amerian Flag was honoured.
Jim

The Mudsills Are Coming.

The Union, the Union we're called on to save,
Fall in the ranks to join our brothers brave;
Chivalry, Chivalry, Old Abe's not a funning,
For six hundred thousand Mudsills are coming.

Chorus:
Now up, up, my boys, and be tramping along;
We ne'er will return till the victory's won;
We come from the mountains, the dells, and the hills,
To show Southern Chivalry Northern Mudsills.

Coming, we are Coming, Father Abe now calls;
Crush foul rebellion or gloriously fall;
Brave Halleck, our Chieftain, with Pope in the throng,
Will lead us to conquer, so be tramping along.

That proud flag of freedom shall float in the breeze,
Respect it ye nations o'er land and o'er seas;
Let none dare assail it, our numbers are strong,
Who have sworn to defend it and be tramping along.

Remember, foul traitors, when this Flag you view,
With thirty-four stars in its Union of blue,
No star from our Union shall be suffered to fly,
They are fixed to remain like the stars in the sky.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:19 AM

Apicture of Richmond.

Jim

Old 09-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

to Kentucky's own and the State of Texas, Confererate General John Bell Hood for honour and dedication to the South
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Angry John Bell Hood

Oh yeah, JB Hood really helped the Confederate cause at Franklin, yessireebob! Don't forget, if the CSA hadn't gone out of business, he eventually would have been court-martialed (& deservedly so).

As the last verse of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" so aptly puts it:

You may talk about your Beauregard,
And sing of Bobby Lee,
But the gallant Hood of Texas,
He played Hell in Tennessee!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."

---TEDDY ROOSEVELT
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

"As is often the case in military history, if a story is repeated frequently by a legion of writers, it becomes accepted as fact by many readers. These stories acquire a life of their own and become part of the popular culture; their factual foundation is no longer questioned, much less critically evaluated."

--- Scott Bowden & Bill Ward ---
"Last Chance for Victory," Pub. Da Capo, NY, NY
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Myth: Hood coldly sacrificed his men in combat.

Reality: In author R. E. L. Kreck's essay in "The 1862 Richmond Campaign," after the victorious assault at Gaines's Mill, "...a staff officer found the sturdy general in the darkness, 'sitting on a cracker box, crying.'" According to Chaplain Nicholas Davis, General Hood attended the next morning's roll call and was appalled that only a fraction of the men were present. "Is this the Fourth Texas?? asked Hood. 'This is all that remains,' was the reply. Tears rolled down the general's cheeks as he rode away, and there was not a soldier in that line but what thought more of him now than ever before."

At Antietam, Richard O' Connor wrote in "Hood: Cavalier General," "...the sad-eyed Hood...wept as he told Lee of the hundreds of his Texans and Georgians who had fallen that day in the cornfield."

On the morning after the Battle of Franklin, as Hood was inspecting the battlefield, one of his soldiers recalled, " His sturdy visage assumed a melancholy appearance, and for a considerable time he sat on his horse and wept like a child."

Private Sam Watkins (a distant cousin of Mine, Jerry) visited Hood's tent for a furlough on the retreat from Nashville and wrote "I was at General Hood's headquarters. He was much agitated and affected, pulling his hair with his one hand (he had but one), and crying like his heart would break. I pitied him, poor fellow."

John Bell Hood knew first hand the terror and carnage of combat. Having been seriously wounded three times in battle, and losing half of his limbs, he appreciated and respected his soldiers who risked their lives for a patriotic cause, and grieved at their deaths and their suffering.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Talking Words from my Distant Cousin Sam Watkins:

Private Sam Watkins of the First Tennessee Infantry, and veteran of the Atlanta and Tennessee campaigns, spoke frequently of the affection held by him and others for Hood. Watkins, whom prominent Civil War historian Shelby Foote calls "my favorite Civil War memorialist," wrote in his memoirs "Company Aytch," the following passages:

"He [Hood] was a noble, brave and good man, and we loved him for his virtues and goodness of heart. We all loved Hood, he was such a clever fellow, and a good man. Poor fellow, I loved him, not as a general, but as a good man. Every impulse of his nature was to do good, and to serve his country as best he could. General John B. Hood did all that he could. The die had been cast. Our cause had been lost before he took command. He fought with the everlasting grip of the bulldog and the fierceness of the wounded tiger. The army had been decimated until it was a mere skeleton...when he commenced his march into Tennessee."

Watkins offered a poignant testimony of his love for his former commander when he penned the following epitaph for General Hood in "The Southern Bivouac 2," (May 1884):

"But the half of brave Hood's body molders here:
The rest was lost in honor's bold career.
Both limbs and fame he scattered all around,
Yet still, though mangled, was with honor crowned;
For ever ready with his blood to part,
War left him nothing whole - except his heart."
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM

The Yellow Rose of Texas song with the Hood lyrics is a myth. There is no primary source for the song whatsoever. The earliest reference to the altered lyrics was in a book by Robert Selph Henry who wrote that the soldiers of the Army of Tennessee "might have sung...." and gave the new lyrics. Just like the absurd laudanum myth, some irresponsible author writes a theory and then backporch historians pick it up and repeat it as a fact. Show me the record of a witness who sung it or heard it and I will believe it.

Hood would have been court-martialed? By whom and for what? Only Joe Johnston claimed to have wanted to prefer charges against Hood because he was offended by Hood's comments in Hood's Official Report on the Atlanta Campaign. Offending a vain-glorious butcher of his own soldiers like Johnston was no crime. Yes, Johnston was a butcher. Johnston attacked Sherman at Bentonville in a useless battle that cost 3,000 Confederate casualties yet wrote in his own memoirs that when he resumed command of the AOT in February 1865 "...we could have no more object in continuing the war, than to obtain fair terms of peace; for the Southern cause must have appeared hopeless then, to all dispassionate and intelligent Southern men. I therefore resumed the duties of my military grade with no hope beyond that of contributing to obtain peace on such conditions as, under the circumstances, ought to satisfy the Southern people and their Government." Johnston gets 850 of his own men slaughtered when he proclaimed that the war was over and they call John Bell Hood a butcher and Franklin as a useless waste of life?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote