The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Active Duty > Active Duty Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default U.S. Military Families In Need

At a recent march for military families, it seems everybody in Lacey, Wash. turned out to support the troops at nearby Fort Lewis and McChord Air Force Base, both morally and financially.

John McClatchey, who donated $20, says, "It's not much, but I know every little bit counts."

As CBS News Correspondent Bill Whitaker reports, they raised $15,000 for military families in need.

"They're out there in Iraq and money is tight for those families," says Gary Benton.

At the Miramar Marine Air Station near San Diego where the movie "Top Gun" was filmed, some families are hitting rock bottom.

"It's not payday yet and I've got three kids at home," says Gloria Mendez. "(It's) time to feed them and the Navy doesn't pay enough for what we have to live here in San Diego."

So, some 500 military families come to the Food Locker on base every month for free groceries, donated by stores, the military and the Boy Scouts.

"Without us a lot of these families wouldn't make it," says Rita Riddick, co-chairman of the Food Locker.

The families agree they need the help.

"Yeah, actually we do," says Christina Roberts, a military wife. "That's the sad part about it.

You hear the same thing from families in every branch of the military, because enlisted men and women can earn as little as $1,104.00 a month.

And with the National Guard serving longer tours, their families are going longer without civilian salaries. Even with housing and medical benefits many military families, especially in expensive cities, are losing the battle to make ends meet.

"We're considered below the poverty line," says Mendez. "Poverty's here, we're below it."

Still most are good soldiers, as proud to serve as their spouses. Shalmarie Ryan's husband is in Iraq.

"No, we're not going to complain about it," she says. "It's our life, that's what we married."

But at the Food Locker, volunteers see more and more service families struggling in silence.

"We have young men and women laying down their lives day after day," says Riddick. "They're not making enough. It's not fair. It's not right."

Many sacrifice in time of war, some more than others.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I agree to that also!

For many years during the 80's and 90's our military men and women lived with low pay and long hours. When Regan was elected we got one of our few double Digit pay raises. but after that they went slowly down hill till the Clinton Administration when the Congress was talking about the so called peace dividend which was the result of over Half of the Armed Service Soldiers,Sailors,Marines,and Airmen being drawn down and released from duty. Instead of that Money being used for bringing the pay up to civilian standards they just hired Civilians to do the jobs that Military used to do. Now that the Reserves and National Guard are called to Active duty to fill the boots of all them Soldiers that were cut for the Peace Dividend Clinton and Gore spoke so fondly of and Balanced the Budget off of!
I also believe that our men and women in service to our country need a living wage. Kerry Talks good about the 7$ Minimum Wage he wants for the Civilian wage earners. But for 20 years what has he done for the Service women and men to raise their wages? As a Senator he has more power to address them Issues then the President . When I was a single Airmen living in the Barracks eating at the Chow hall 500$ a month was enough pay but for my fellow Airmen married living off post 500$ plus housing allowance usually wasn't enough for the spouse to stay at home with out a Job. Now these same military members are still getting too low of wages to live off the Salary of the Military pay earner.
If you haven't noticed I still harbor a grudge about the phrase Peace Dividend! when it was our fellow soldiers jobs being cut to get that sum in the first place. Without Any of the Men and women in Uniform getting a living wage.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I always thought it was funny when we got our end of year statement. It usually said a private made 50k+ when they figured in all of our benefits
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote