The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Warriors Saloon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2002, 06:23 PM

Default Vietnam question for everybody /tours

Does anyone know if the military services kept track of the number of people with mutiple tours or extended tours in Vietnam?

Thanks

Grunt66
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2002, 06:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 5 in a row for point man

I have a book some where that show that a Hawaiian dude spent 5 tours in a row and walked point most of the time. He wore an VC/NVA style uniform with an AK and got away with it. I have another book with aguy who spent 3 straight tours one as a grunt, one as a Lrrp, and the last as a Riverine Army dude.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Good question Grunt

I know amost 1/3 of the guys in my unit pulled a second (6 month) tour. I think the promise of an early out was more appealling than the prospect of dying, since we were not "directly" in the line of fire. Unfortunately, I can name more tha a few that didn't make it, because of mortar / rocket attacks on the firebase. I know I came came a lot closer to death during my second tour than the first.
Let me know if you fiond a site or records of multiple tours. The only record I know of is the dates of "in-country" on my DD214.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:28 PM

first tour didn't get as much as a sratch was in country about 6 weeks on my second and thats when all my troubles started with a little mortar steel in the face a few weeks in the rear with the gear and then about 9 months latter almost got killed it just wasn't my year.sgt.there is a place on the DD214 that has all of your over seas time i think it only covers your last enlistment it's about half way down on the right side.i think
razz
Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 PM

Default extensioned tours /additional tours

I know a lot of Vets from all the services that have extended or went back voluntarily for another tour. I just wondered if any of the services kept track . I did go back but two good friends of mine were there three times.

Thanks ,

grunt66
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 07:42 PM

I spent from 10/68 thru 12/70 in-country doing one tour then two 6 month extensions. My only regret is that I was entitled to 3 R&R's and I only took one!!

I would imagine that somewhere in the deep dark recesses of the federal government or dod some actuarial working in a dank basement office actually kept track of the number of troops who voluntarily remained in-country. Seems to me that they would track it to base their manpower projections on.