The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2002, 08:16 AM

Default My Wife's Great-Grandfather

My wife's great-grandfather served in the Union Navy in the Civil War. This is a transcript of his service record.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VERBATIM TEXT FROM THE CERTIFICATE OF RECORDS REGARDING THE MILITARY HISTORY OF LEWIS CARNEY

-: THIS CERTIFIES that LEWIS CARNEY :-

Enlisted from Erie County, New York, on the 22nd day of December, 1862, to serve one year in the United States Naval Service and shipped as an Able Seaman on the "Clara Dolson" Mississippi Flotilla, from Cairo, Illinois, under Captain George Brown.

He served for a period on the U. S. R. S. "Clara Dolson". In January, 1863, he was sent aboard the U. S. S. "Indianola", Lieutenant- Commander George Brown, and steamed down the Mississippi River under order Acting Rear Admiral David D. Porter, to blockade Vicksburg, thus assisting Gen. Grant and Sheridan in their siege. On the night of February 13, 1863, the U. S. S. "Indianola", under orders of Acting Rear Admiral Porter run the Confederate Shore Batteries at Vicksburg, and Warrenton, Miss., being under a continuous fire for several hours. The vessel proceeded as far as Red River and there proceeded to return with a Coal- Barge lashed to either side to the mouth of the Yazoo River. About nine o'clock on the night of February 24, 1863, the U. S. S. "Indianola" was attacked by the Confederate Steamer "W. H. Webb", "Queen of the West", "Grand Era", and "Batey". After an action of nearly an hour and a half of ineffectual ramming, the C. S. S. "W. H. Webb", butted the U. S. S. "Indianola" in the stern, splitting her open and causing her to sink. Lieutenant Commander Brown, his officers and a crew of less than one hundred men after a brave defense against a Confederate force of four armed vessels, and over one thousand men, surrendered themselves as prisoners of war. The captured officers and men were first taken to Fort Jackson, thence they were sent to Richmond, Va., and were confined in Libby Prison. About the middle of May, 1863, Carney and others of the crew of the U. S. S. "Indianola" were exchanged at City Point, Va., and sent to Washington, D.C. In July 1863 they were returned to the U. S. R. S. "Clara Dolson" at Cairo, Ill.

In august, 1863, the said Lewis Carney was promoted to Boat-swain's Mate and joining the U. S. S. "Champion", Acting Master Alfred Phelps commanding, he served on her while doing patrol duty at the mouth of the Red River until discharged.

He was at all times with his command, except while held as a prisoner of war. As noted above and achieved an enviable record for bravery in action and soldierly bearing at all times.

He received an Honorable Discharge at Cairo, Illinois, on the 22nd day of February, 1864, by reason of expiration of term of service.

He was born at Lockport, Niagara County, N. Y., on the 21st day of March, 1834.

His marriage was to Anna Davern, at Buffalo, New York, on the 3rd day of July, 1864, from which union were born the following children, vis:- Mary Lester, Teresa, Lewis, Margaret, Cecilia, John, David and Frank.

He is a member of Richardson Post, No. 254, Department of New York, Grand Army of the Republic.

His wife is an active and honored member of L. C. B. A.

When quite young the said Lewis Carney sailored on Lake Boats and later on a merchantman from New York City to South America; make one trip to China and eight or ten trips to Liverpool, Hamburg, and other foreign ports, before the war.

These facts are thus recorded and preserved for the benefit of all whose who may be interested.

(Compiled from Official and Authentic Sources by the Soldiers and Sailors Historical and Benevolent Society)

In testimony whereof, I hereunto set my hand and cause to be affixed the seal of the Society.

Done at Washington, D. C. this 25th day of August, A.D. 1903.

(ss) C. D. Coyne
No. 43200

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My wife's cousin remembers Lewis Carney talking about his days as a POW and crying because no one really understood what he went through. Lewis died in Bufalo, NY, on 02/10/1928.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2002, 12:29 PM

Jeff, its nice that your family has this kind of complete record...wish mine did. Our folks were involved (apparently) mostly in the skirmishes and raids that took place commonly around these parts, so I've not been able to uncover many descriptions of individual acts and origins.
Bluehawk
Old 10-13-2002, 12:55 PM

My wife's relatives were citizens of this country long before mine were. As far as I've determined, my family's ancestors arrived here about 1894; I believe that hers were in the US before 1800. Unfortunately, NONE of them are in the records of Ellis Island. Go figure.......

Geez. Mine stayed right in and around Chicago, with a few moving to Arizona and one g-g-g-uncle moving to Michigan, with his son going to California. My wife's were in Buffalo, Canada, Montana, Pennsylvania, California, Virginia, NYC, and who knows where else since they arrived in the States. But most of 'em are still in and around Buffalo.

You've probably already suspected that I'm keeper of our family tree. Interestingly, I can't trace my wife's side back to any specific dates, but I can trace one branch of my Swedish side back to 1560; the other main branch goes back to about 1700. That long history is thanks to the Internet, over which I made contact with cousins in Sweden that I didn't even know existed.

I have almost 1700 folks in the family tree, and I try to exercise caution in tracing only direct ancestors and their descendants. I seem to be adding about 50 ancestors each year, in addition to those additions resulting from present marriages, births, etc. The last entries - back to 1560 - were from my dad's maternal grandmother's side.

Onward & upward!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post This Geneology Stuff

Quite interesting! Trouble is that it could go on forever. My great grandfather served with Union Army. He was from Illinois. Served with Grant in Cairo etc and then with Sherman and the March to the Sea. I have a complete copy of His service record and his regiments record. Quite interesting. Served the whole time in the infantry. Came out a Sergeant. His regiment suffered the greatest losses near the end of the Civil War.

My wife got into this geneology stuff also. Her cousin and her traced their ancestry back to the pilgrims. Her cousin's Uncle decided to join the Mayflower Society. Life is rough with them there pilgrims. She has stocks and a whipping post out in the back yard for me when I get out of line.

Keith
Old 10-14-2002, 06:36 AM

"She has stocks and a whipping post out in the back yard for me when I get out of line."

A-ha! That would explain the screams your neighbors hear coming from your house. "Please! Stop it some more!"

Old 10-14-2002, 09:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Yep, the cops just figure its a family thing!

My Great Grandfather was in the 10th Illinois Infantry Regiment.

The official history of the 10th Illinois is posted at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/history/010.htm

It is very interesting. Just to think my Grandfather was with them all the way.

Keith
Old 10-15-2002, 10:21 AM

The older I get, the more I wish I knew about my origins. I know my maternal Grandmother came from Oslo somewhere around the turn of the century when she was 16 years old. But with a surname of Johnson, and she married a Johnson, the path is pretty muddy. I have tried some of the internet sites but Johnson is so common that without further info there is no chance. Unfortunately all the old ones are gone now so there is nobody left to ask. I guess I'll just consider myself related to half of northwestern Europe and be happy about it.

Other side is German and either Polish or Czech, not sure.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:58 AM

Drywall, you seem to know their names and dates of arrival in the States. Have you ever tried the Ellis Island website?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:48 PM

Default Jeff

The names yes. The dates no. I looked at the Ellis site once and was kind of overwhelmed. I just simply don't know where to start. I'm not even sure they came thru there. Anyway, there were a lot of Agnes Johnsons on the lists. I'm not of the other names spellings. For instance my paternal grandmother was a Svoboda? Swaboda? And my name may have been changed somewhere between Europe and their original home in Pennslyvania. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Drywall,
If she was 16 when she immigrated, she must have came with her parents. Where did they live? Have you looked in the census records for that area? She should be listed with her parents. Census records sometimes give you the parent's names, occupation, place of birth.....It could give you a jump-start.

Chilidog