Old 12-29-2003, 05:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Osprey test flights proceed smoothly

Osprey test flights proceed smoothly
December 28,2003
ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Three years after two MV-22 Osprey crashes took the lives of 23 Marines, local commanders say the program is moving ahead smoothly.

Developmental test pilots recently surpassed the 1,000-flight-hour mark since the Osprey's return to the air and sea trials on amphibious assault ship decks.

Up next will be formation flying and air-to-air refueling before evaluators formally look at their progress again.

"Probably in the April-to-May time frame we will make a "quick-look" operational assessment," said Col. Glenn M. Walters, Marine Tilt Rotor Test and Evaluation Squadron 22 commander.

Marine Tilt Rotor Test and Evaluation Squadron 22, or VMX-22, was created Aug. 28, and received its first aircraft in October and its second in November.

"We'll receive two more in January and, beginning in March, are scheduled to receive two per month for the remainder of the year," Walters said.

Although there are many developmental tests that must be completed, Walters said operational evaluation could begin by the end of 2004.

Twenty pilots and 20 crew members in training now will rotate through eight Ospreys during the operational evaluation to see how the aircrafts perform in the deserts around Yuma, Ariz., and in the cold altitude of Bridgeport, Calif., culminating with an exercise at sea aboard amphibious assault ships.

"The operational evaluation will probably take about five to six months, then we make a final report before an approval for full-rate production," Walters said.

After the accidents in 2000, a federal blue ribbon panel report recommended safety and software changes and added a synch rate warning to tell pilots and crew members if the aircraft is descending too fast.

Designers hope this will tell pilots when they are in turbulence called "vortex ring state," which causes power settling, something blamed as a contributing factor in an April 8, 2000, crash at Marana Northwest Regional Airport about 15 miles northwest of Tucson, Ariz.

Walters also likes the new, two-panel pilot position, making days of constantly scanning every 3-inch gauge in the cockpit a thing of the past.

Between the two pilot positions is another screen used to handle their communications.

"There used to be 3-inch gauges stuck all over the cockpit," Walters said. "(Now) it just looks clean and it means I can do my job faster, better and safer."

Although there is double and often triple redundancy built into the Osprey systems, in the off chance that everything goes blank, there is an old-style horizon, altimeter and speedometer so the pilot can land in case of an emergency.

But some of the improvements are intangible, such as morale of those working on the program and their families.

"They're very excited," Walters said. "Normally you have to go look for someone from avionics to swap something out. When I took my first flight, I probably had 60 maintenance personnel watching me come in."

During a recent Christmas celebration at the New River Air Station, an MV-22 even brought Santa Claus to visit cheering children.

"I never understood how good a feeling it was for the family to see it," Walters said.

Contact Eric Steinkopff at esteinkopff@jdnews.com or 353-1171, Ext. 236.

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.co...78&Section=News

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links