The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2004, 09:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

DP...what type of artillery where you in? I spent the majority of my time with rockets, MLRS but received a little cross training with tubes.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2004, 01:21 PM

Hi Catman i was with photo recon. using the anusd501(CL89) drone system.

http://Pcadventurers.net/home

its free.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post
the 175mm is a howitzer not a gun. It is designed for high angle fire. Guns are designed for direct fire (like the gun tube in a tank turret) it has a "tube life" of about 90 rounds at maximum charge, which means that the barrel has to be replaced after that many shots are fired because it isn't 175 mm any more. More like 178mm because the heat and pressure cause teriffic erosion in the barrel just in front of the powder chamber. After 90 rounds at max range the howitzer is no longer accurate. At reduced charges the barrel lasts a little longer. I think that 5 charge 5 shots equal one charge 7 shot. So if you fired all your rounds at charge 5 you should be able to get 600 shots off before it's time for a tube change.
colonel, my m107 in nam was in fact a 175 gun. We could get 200 rounds at max three charge. Changing the tubes was a 2 hour job.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 AM

The 175mm was designated as a Howitzer because it was not a "Direct Fire" weapon. It was "Separate Loading" which means that the shell was rammed into the forcing cone and then powder bags were put into the breech behind the shell. The charge was "Cut" in that the powder was adjusted to the correct range just like in a 105m or 155mm howitzer. After the breech was closed (interrupted step screw just like the 155mm) a separate primer was attached to the back of the breech and it was fired by pulling a lanyard that tripped a small hammer onto the primer which fired through a touch hole that went through the center of the breech. The "Base Charge" which was the powder bag closest to the breech, had a thin bag of black powder sewn to the bottom of the bag which was ignited by the primer and in turn set off the cordite which was in the main charge. The 175mm had a very short "Tube Life" of about 150 rounds at charge 7 equivalent. This means that if charge 5 were fired a lot, you could get possibly 250 rounds through the tube before erosion wiped out the rifling in front of the forcing ring and ruined the accuracy. We had them on one of our fire bases in Vietnam and as I recall, they didn't sound a whole lot louder than a 155. I used to see Chinooks carrying old shot out tubes out over the Soouth China Sea to drop into the water. Big waste of money as they could have been sent back to Watervliet Arsenal to be re-lined. But then we're talking about a military mindset that used slightly damaged main rotors from Chinooks as sidewalks. Those worked out to about $3 million for about 100 feet of sidewalk.