Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lb
1 oz
---
---
---
---

Method:
Cook the lean beef until tender. Remove from the stock and cut into small pieces. Put it through a meat chopper with the onions. Place pans on the range with the butter. When melted, add the ground meat, onions and tomatoes. Then sauté for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley and spice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the meat enough stock to cover it. Let it simmer for 5 minutes; then add a little flour thickening, stirring until it becomes the desired thickness. Remove from the range. Serve hot on toast.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Default SOS Recipe

Thanks, David I appreciate your research and time to assist me. There are a couple of recipes here that I don't have. If you run accross,"MCO P10110.16A." Please let me know.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I will. So far the only place I have found it sells it and does not allow a free download.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 AM

http://www.usmcfsa.com/vol_1_issue_4.htm

For the most part, food preparation during World Ward II depended on the ambition and ingenuity of each mess sergeant. Recipes used by the Marine Corps messes during this period were from the Navy Cook Book (blue hard cover) and Army TM 10- 413.
The first official guide for the preparation of food in the Marine Corps was the publication of the "U. S. Marine Corps Recipe Manual." The recipes were on "loose-leaf pages. This manual was published in 1952 and was signed by W. P.T. Hill, Quartermaster General, USMC.
The preface of this publication stated that "the recipes were designed specifically for use with the Marine Corps Master Menu and in respect represents a new approach to mass feeding within the Marine Corps."
This recipe publication remained in effect until December 1963 when the Navy-Marine Corps Recipe Service (MCO P10110.16A) replaced it. Each recipe was printed on (5" x 8") fiberboard cards in various colors. The Navy-Marine Corps Recipe Service was later replaced by the Armed Forces Recipe Service (MCO P10110.42) and remained current at the time of printing this historical article in 1968.

Navy and Marine Corps Recipe Service. MCO P10110.16A. Washington: GPO, December 12, 1963. Joint Navy-Marine Corps publication. Superseded by Armed Forces Recipe Service of February 1969.

Armed Forces Recipe Service Committee. Armed Forces Recipe Service and Index of Recipes. MCO 10110.16B. Washington: GPO, February 1969. Charge 1: March 1, 1971, change 2: September 29, 1972, change 3: October 2, 1974, and change 4: September 1, 1976. Joint Air Force-Army-Marine Corps-Navy publication. Superseded by edition of May 1, 1980.

Cheers
Deadlydaring
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 AM

David, I am impressed and duly confident in your ability to access and share information about any military subject. Thank you for such a comprehensive and liberating site, one that I feel more and more like participating in. By the way, SOS was one of my favorite meals which my short exposure to stateside mess halls allowed me to enjoy. It and chocolate milk are still two pleasant memories from ITR, before arriving in VietNam.
Semper Fi, Scott
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default David,...

Thanks for your initial recipe for SOS posted.
Quickly copied it & passed-along to my longtime & current Mess Sgt. (re. The Wife).

Will never forget the first time saw that Finest of Cuisines about half-a-century ago at about 3-4 AM after entering our 10th Recon. Co. Mess Hall,...after put on my tray.

Even though was a scrawny chow-hound whom would devour most everything (truly a Mess Sgt's Delight) served me at that time,...I instantly commented to one of my Tennessee Good Buddies Carter following me in line,..."Holy s--t"! "Looks like somebody already ate whatever-the-hell that used to be"!

Old Frank having had such before said to me: "Phil" (Rebels had/have hard time prounouncing: Filidei)...just try it,...you'll like it". He was ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. SOS has to be my alltime most favorite breakfast (not bad as a lunch or dinner either if lucky getting same) EVER. Was a truly Happy Trooper whenever such was served.

The Civilian or Navy variations of: Creamed Chip Beef & Creamed Sausage aren't too bad either.
Plus such even look a lot more appetizing & actually LOOK edible.

Neil

Last edited by reconeil; 07-10-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling /corrections
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I grew up eating it at home as my father was career Navy. Still like it to this day