The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default question...

Has anyone on here been to the 4, or 6 or 7 week PTSD in-hospital treatment program besides me, Griz, and Fred ? If so, I would like to hear your impressions of it. Thanks.

Larry
Old 02-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I went into treatment for alcoholism, and PTSD at the same time, while I was still on active duty, the program was an 10 week in-hospital prgram. This was in July 1987, it was the first time I had to face my issues with Vietnam. Was in definte denial, even refused to go the vet center in Los Angeles,( this almost cost me my rank E-6), so I decided to go, I just shut everyone out who was in the room, and wouldn't say anything. The 4th time I went to the vet center, a guy started talking about Dak To and what he went through there in 67, I jumped up and started yelling what the "FU@% do you know about Dak To, I guess 17 years of anger and hate started to come out, no one said anything to me, they just let me spew what was coming out of my mouth. When I was done, I fell back into my chair and felt like a hughe burden had just been lifted from my chest, I was crying and didn't even know it. One of the vets in the group a marine vet looked at me and said,
I love you brother, welcome home." From then on, I started to learn how to live with the beast. I still go to a vet group here in Sacramento. I won't be fooled by the beast and think it will go away and never come back. After I got out of treatment, I declined promotion to E-7, and retired after 22 years active duty, I had enough, and knew I would be just taking up space for some one who wanted to stay on active duty.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome home RR
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote