The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 AM

Thumbs up Mattis slams Trump over handling of George Floyd unrest

Mattis slams Trump over handling of George Floyd unrest
By: Geoff Ziezulewicz - Military Times News - 06-04-20
Re: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...20Bird%20Brief

Former U.S. defense secretary and retired Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis slammed his former boss in a letter published Wednesday by The Atlantic, calling out the violent clearing of protesters outside the White House and accusing the president of deliberately trying to fracture the nation.

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try,” Mattis wrote. “Instead he tries to divide us.”

“We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort,” he continues. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership.”

While reports emerged earlier in the Trump presidency of Mattis’ issues with Trump, Wednesday’s letter marks the first time he has spoken out publicly and forcefully against the president, a move likely sparked by Trump’s response this week to the national unrest that has followed the May 25 death of George Floyd, a black man who died after a white cop — now facing murder charges — kneeled on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes.

Mattis referred to Monday night outside the White House in particular, when federal troops forcefully cleared protesters so that Trump could walk to a nearby church and pose for a photo holding a Bible.

“I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled,” Mattis wrote. “Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

The president was joined in that walk by Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley and Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

“We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square,” Mattis wrote. “We must reflect and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s ‘better angels,’ and listen to them, as we work to unite.”

Mattis also clapped back at Esper calling American cities a “battlespace” that must be conquered back from protesters over the weekend.

“We should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors,” he wrote. “Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict — a false conflict — between the military and civilian society.”

“It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part,” he continued. “Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.”

Mattis called on Americans to unite without Trump, “drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society.”

“This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generation that bled to defend our promise; and to our children,” he said.

Mattis wrote that protesters across the country are out there for “equal justice under the law,” a demand he called “wholesome and unifying.”

“We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers,” he wrote. “The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values — our value as people and our values as a nation.”

The president responded in several tweets a few hours after the publication of Mattis’ letter:

Note: Two comments made by Trump about Mattis - you have to go on site to read them - (I didn't post them - I should've but I didn't).

Personal note: Mattis needs to punch out someones headlights (or at the very least slap someone to sleep - to improve someones vision of reality!

Note: Mattis resigned as Defense Secretary in December 2018 over the president’s planned withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria and his criticism of foreign allies.

Trump said a few months later that Mattis was fired because Trump wasn’t happy with his performance (yea right).

The president reportedly first called Mattis “the world’s most overrated general” during a tense White House meeting in October.

About this writer: Geoff is a senior staff reporter for Military Times, focusing on the Navy. He covered Iraq and Afghanistan extensively and was most recently a reporter at the Chicago Tribune.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Arrow Mattis unloads on Trump in blistering statement saying he's turning Americans against

Mattis unloads on Trump in blistering statement saying he's turning Americans against each other during nationwide protests
By: Ryan Pickrell & David Choi - 06-03-20
Re: https://www.businessinsider.com/matt...atement-2020-6

(Note: This was a day earlier than the first post above).

* In a blistering statement given to The Atlantic, former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis sharply criticized President Donald Trump and his handling of the nationwide unrest over George Floyd's death.

* Mattis, who has largely kept his thoughts of the president to himself, accused Trump of trying to divide the country and even implied he's a threat to the US Constitution.

* "Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us," he wrote, adding, "We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership."

Former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, who has largely kept silent on President Donald Trump, issued a blistering statement Wednesday criticizing him and even suggesting he's a threat to the US Constitution in a call for Americans to come together to oppose his actions following George Floyd's death.

"I have watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled," Mattis said in a statement given to The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg. He said Trump was actively trying to divide the nation.

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us," the widely respected former Marine Corps general wrote. "We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership."

"We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society," he continued. "This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children."

Mattis praised protesters as "people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values — our values as people and our values as a nation" and sharply criticized Trump's hawkish response to the protests.

"When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution," he said, writing, "never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside."

"We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution," Mattis added.

He also called out the current secretary of defense, Mark Esper, who recently referred to American cities as a "battlespace" to be dominated.

"We must reject any thinking of our cities as a 'battlespace' that our uniformed military is called upon to 'dominate,'" Mattis wrote. "At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, DC, sets up a conflict — a false conflict — between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part."

Mattis called for unity, saying, "We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis — confident that we are better than our politics."

Mattis announced his resignation in December 2018. Trump announced his acting replacement, Patrick Shanahan, shortly thereafter. Mattis was a four-star general who once led the US Central Command and was celebrated as a top choice to lead the US military by lawmakers from both political parties.

In his resignation letter, Mattis cited disagreements with Trump's policies as the reason for his decision to resign from the Defense Department. The move came amid Trump's sudden decision to pull back US forces in Syria, contrary to the advice from senior military leaders.

"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position," he wrote.

In that same statement, Mattis referred to the importance of maintaining alliances: "We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by our alliances."

Mattis later went on to poke fun at Trump in a light-hearted speech during the 74th Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner in New York: "I earned my spurs on the battlefield ... And Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from a doctor," he said to laughter and applause from the audience.

Overall, however, Mattis has historically refrained from speaking out against Trump, unlike other senior White House officials who have left the administration.

During a panel with the Council on Foreign Relations in 2019, Mattis said that "when the time's right to speak out about policy or strategy, I'll speak out," adding that he disagreed with other officials who immediately "get out and start talking."

"What we commonly call a 'kiss-and-tell' now, I don't think that's the right thing to do," Mattis said at the time.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote