The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Coast Guard

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2003, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Hero to be Laid to Rest

Hero to be Laid to Rest

On 06 October, 2003, at 1300 hours, the remains of United States Coast Guard Lt. Jack Columbus Rittichier will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. Jack was the first Coast Guardsman killed in action in Vietnam, and the only one who remained unaccounted for after the war's end. The crash site of the Jolly Green 23 was discovered on 09 November 02, and the remains of the four crew members were repatriated on 14 Feb 03; positive ID was confirmed to Rittichier's brother (Dave) on 11 August 03.

Maggie and Dave Rittichier are allowing the funeral to be an open one, and would very much like to see a large crowd present. If you are able to make it, please attend the funeral. Jack will be buried at Coast Guard Hill, in an area normally reserved for the top officials; a Commandant gave up his spot for Jack. Information about and photos of Jack can be found at the URL below. If you would like to e-mail Dave and Maggie, contact me at snj@faraway-soclose.org and I will send you their address.

http://www.faraway-soclose.org/jcr/

"Support Our Soldiers"

United We Stand
God Bless America
Were it not for the brave,
there would be no Land of the Free!

Remember our POW/MIA's
I'll never forget!

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2003, 05:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up The Funeral............

Coast Guardsman, Vietnam MIA Remembered
By MALIA RULON
Associated Press Writer

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP)--The only U.S. Coast Guardsman who was declared missing in the Vietnam War was remembered Monday as a hero, some 35 years after he and three others were killed while trying to rescue another serviceman.

That was the last of many rescue attempts made by Lt. Jack C. Rittichier of Barberton, Ohio, who was known to his friends and family as a man who could do everything.

``I know just what he would have said if he were here today: 'I'm no hero. It's my job,''' said younger brother David Rittichier, 69, of Erwin, Tenn.

Rittichier, who was 34 at the time, was the pilot of an HH-3E helicopter that had left Da Nang Air Base in South Vietnam on June 9, 1968, on a rescue mission for a downed U.S. pilot. His helicopter was struck by enemy fire and exploded in a fireball.

Before Vietnam, Rittichier won honors for rescue work during Hurricane Betsy in 1965. He also earned an Air Medal in 1967 for copiloting a helicopter that rescued eight seamen from a West German vessel in Lake Huron.

Rittichier was discharged from the Air Force as a captain in 1963. He then joined the Coast Guard and volunteered for a pilot exchange program in Vietnam.

Two weeks after being deployed, he earned his first Distinguished Flying Cross for flying through enemy fire to save four Army soldiers. He would earn two additional Flying Crosses and three more Air Medals before his last flight.

``If we define the character of a man by his actions, Lieutenant Jack C. Rittichier is the embodiment of courage,'' said Adm. Thomas Collins, the Coast Guard commandant.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge also attended the funeral, which was followed by a half-mile procession behind Rittichier's flag-covered casket. It was pulled by six white horses on a black caisson to his grave site at Arlington National Cemetery's Coast Guard Hill overlooking the Pentagon, a part of the cemetery usually reserved for senior officers.

Mourners recited The Lord's Prayer, then a seven-member rifle party fired three volleys. As a lone bugler played taps, four red and white helicopters circled the hill, representing every type of chopper in the Coast Guard inventory.

``When those guns went off and those helicopters went over ... I was flooded with a lot of the old feelings,'' David Rittichier said of his older brother, who played football in high school and was captain of the 1955 Kent State University Golden Flashes. ``We've missed him terribly.''

A Coast Guard bagpipe band played ``Amazing Grace'' as Collins presented a flag to David Rittichier. Brother Henry Rittichier, 60, of Houston, and Rittichier's widow, Carol Wypick of Fountain Valley, Calif., said they had waited a long time.

``I never thought this day would come,'' said Wypick, who later married another Coast Guard search and rescue pilot. ``You have no idea, in my heart, how wonderful this is.''

Joint U.S.-Vietnamese teams searched for the crash site in Vietnam, but came up empty each time. In May 2002, officials received information about a crash near Ban Kaboui, Laos, about nine miles from the reported loss location. The U.S. Army Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii identified the remains recovered at the wreckage as those of the pilots and crew.

Also killed in the Vietnam mission were: Rittichier's co-pilot, Air Force Capt. Richard C. Yeend Jr. of Mobile, Ala.; and two crew members, Air Force Sgt. James D. Locker of Sidney, Ohio, and Air Force Staff Sgt. Elmer L. Holden of Oklahoma City.

At a reception following the funeral, three people who wore MIA bracelets engraved with Rittichier's name gave their bracelets to the family.

``I've worn this bracelet with pride and hope,'' said Deborah Eggleston of Newcomerstown, Ohio. ``This man fought for my freedom. He was already a hero in my eyes.''

AP-NY-10-06-03 1900EDT

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press.

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote