The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2006, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Official Language?

More than four-in-five Arizona residents support making English the official language of the state according to a new poll conducted by Zogby International from March 30 to 31, 2006.

The poll of 510 likely voters in the Grand Canyon State found that 82 percent of Arizonans favor official English legislation, with more than two-thirds of respondents strongly favoring such a measure. "Arizona residents have once again declared that they want the government to embrace our official language ? English," said Mauro E. Mujica, chairman of U.S. English, Inc. "They understand that English remains the great unifier in a diverse state and that fluency in English is the key to economic self-sufficiency and personal growth."

Support for making English the official language of Arizona carried across nearly every demographic sub-group. The measure was favored by nearly six-in-10 Democrats and more than three-in-four Independents, along with 78 percent of Hispanics, 86 percent of senior citizens and 86 percent of those aged 18 to 29. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points, with higher margins of error in sub-groups.

"As an immigrant and naturalized citizen, I understand that learning English is a critical component in becoming an American," continued Mujica. "Unfortunately, government today often undermines our common language by providing a lifetime translation entitlement. This law would strike a balance between assistance and assimilation."

Official English legislation in Arizona calls for government to conduct official business in English and ensures that the state does not have an obligation to provide foreign language services. The bill takes into account numerous common sense exceptions to ensure the constitutional rights of all Arizonans. Public health and safety information, law enforcement and courtroom translation are all exempted from the law.

Last month, the Arizona House passed HCR 2036, legislation that would allow the citizens of Arizona to vote on making English the official language of the state. The measure, approved on March 23 by a margin of 34 to 22 in the House, is now in the Senate for consideration. If passed, the citizens of Arizona would cast their vote in November.

Last year, the House and Senate both passed legislation that would make English the official language of Arizona, only to have it vetoed by the governor. A subsequent poll by KAET-TV/Channel 8 and Arizona State University found that the majority of Arizonans disagree with the governor's action.

[It's time to make English or at least our version of it, the official language of the United States of America. And then we can stop wasting money, literally billions of $$ each year, printing the multitude of documents and other items in a foreign language.]

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Robert J Ryan

English is spoken in America, why in hell does it take a measure by officials to enforce it. What is next new laws for each ethnic group in America.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default english

as the offical language is brought up every couple years and is voted down, Just the printing of other languages in US offical documents would save the taxpayers Millions. Not to metion the aid it gives to illeagles. Like I told the store manager at the local lowes hardwear, if your going to print signs in anything other than english than you should print the sign in ALL languages not just english and spanish, And then I left my shopping cart full of merchandise in front of him and left.
Ron
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J Ryan English is spoken in America, why in hell does it take a measure by officials to enforce it. What is next new laws for each ethnic group in America.
I totally agree with you Rob! THIS IS AMERICA!!! Learn our language or get the hell under the fence, on your way back to what ever third world shit pit you're from! Oh, and while you're here illegally, don't bitch, whine or complain how much you don't like living here.
DO IT RIGHT OR DON"T DO IT AT ALL!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Arizona State Governor?s Motto; ?Keeping Arizona Strong, Safe and Prosperous?

Sanity check;

Just this week, a highly placed Arizona State Official was found to be personally conducting illegal border crossing operations using Arizona State equipment such as radios to alert border runners of where the authorities were and when it was safe to cross.

Arizona is one of the States that is way, way in the tank trying to keep up with social services costs that are attributed to the cost of maintaining the border runners. So it would seem that they suffer from a self-inflicted set of circumstances, at least in part.

Apparently Governor Janet Napolitano (D) is just joshing about the motto and is heading 100% in the total opposite direction. So no surprise she would veto a language bill, posture one way whilst doing just the exact opposite, or apparently so. I would think the Arizona Official is committing a crime, but maybe he got a post-dated dispensation, wink and a nod, plus a get out of jail free card, who knows.

Scamp

Note: In Central Europe, proficiency in three languages is required to graduate from High School. Most choose English and German plus the native language. French and Italian are also somewhat popular. No one and I mean, no one, selects Russian and those who had compulsory Russian in school refuse to speak it at all, no way, then followed by a nasty expletive pertaining to Russians. Canada is supposedly bi-lingual, but in reality most in western Canada have zero interest in the French language and refuse to use it.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Does that mean I have to learn how to talk like you all?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Doc, Nope like Granny said on the Hillbillies "we speak American the rest of the country speak Yankee"
Old 04-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Well my comrades I'm going to tell you the way it is in the real world.

Take a Southerner some where out of the South after a while they will start speaking like that areas.

take Someone from where ever and bring them to the South and after while they will start speaking PROPER.

It is the Good Lord\'s job to forgive Osama if he wishes to. It is the U.S. Military\'s job to arrange the MEETING.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 AM

Rebel - I agree I worked in the south for over three months straight and believe it or not when I got back home they knew I was down south.

Same when I went North to Canada and I came home after a couple months the verbiage was noticeable since I picked up some of the adverbs and adjectives from working with them.

So its true you will pick up some language alterations the longer you are there. But your original dialect doesn't ever totally leave you and people will be able to know you are not local.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"