The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Can't find the Atav guy that Splummer talks about. Ran into a guy in a Bel Store here in Sacramento once a while back, I was wearing my 4th ID hat, he told he was with the 5th Infantry Division in Vietnam. He didn't seem to know that the 5th Infantry was also mech, and he didn't know that they were by DMZ in Nam, he told me he was stationed near Saigon with the 5th ID. Man I just looked at this guy and told him he was full of shi$.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Farnie Steve,

He probably means Alpha Avengers referring to an infantry unit?s Alpha company, what unit I don?t know.
Wasn't there a unit that operated along QL-1 called the 'Masked Avengers'? Think their main duty was running a string of short time girls.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A.B.

Welcome to the site! Nice to have you with us. Anika won the US Open today. Always been a big fan of hers. Thank you for your service to Sweden!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default bill good job

I read your post on the atav site to Mike Benoit. I'm 99.9% sure he is a fake. Jim Rose is real active with the VN veterans and I think he will check this guy out. Although I don't think he needs to. Hauling ice to keep the amo cool and 14 unit comadations. Months back he mentioned a different unit he was in other than the ones he claimed to be in now. I'll see if I can get into that site and post a few things to him. I really want to find out why they needed to ice down the hot amo.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Steve,

Although he sure makes the poser radar go off, I'm not so sure that he's a fake. I'm looking into a few things concering his claim to have been with HHC 2/501st. Jim Rose is checking him out and also putting him in touch with someone from the VVA in R.I. So the verdict will be in soon.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 07-04-2006, 01:54 AM

b3196, Stick and Pack, Sir's!

Just wanted to Thank You, for your kind words in your replies.

Stick, Sir! Have thought about using a "spell check", but will try the forums own such first I think. The MS Word-program and I, do not "get along" too well with eachother. Otherwise, may perhaps use the spell check within 1 of my e-mails instead, before posting. Some offers this service I have noticed, as for example "yahoo". Part of me however, perhaps stupidly so, feels that to use an automatic spell check, would be for me to "be cheating", instead of using a hardcover dictionary instead. I know, that is silly. Something as reading the correct spelling in a hardcover dictionary, is same as learning, while using spell check is just... Well, never mind. Silly feeling anyway by me.

Am going southwards later today, and will be offline until Saturday unfortunately. Do not even have "landline" installed there. Just a shaky cellphone-connection.

Also, to all, my very best wishes of a Happy 4th of July!

T G C! (=Take Good Care!)

Sincerely
A.B
Old 07-04-2006, 06:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I don't know. I checked the site and now this Mike says his unit got 15 citations instead of only 14. He lost all of his freinds over there and had to drive most of them to the morgue himself. In 1968 when I was there, the morgue was in Danang and I thought all the American casualties were taken there by choppers. Did that change in later years?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well Steve I was starting to lean towards him being the real deal but after one of his last responses with the classified crap, that's a sure sign that he's full of it. He also mentioned that he has posted all over the WWW looking for his Sgt and CO. That is true for he has and on one site he claims that the Army changed his MOS to that of a cook. He hasn't said squat about that in any of his posts. He is all over the place with his rambling including what you just said about the citations. I know of no unit in VN that recieved that many citations. Besides, if he was with the 2/501st then those citations, no matter what the number, are for that battalion and regiment and might cover WW II also. They are not awarded to him as an individual although he may have been entitled to wear a unit citation.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 07-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Bill, I think He claimed to be in a transportation unit a year or so back. I doughted him then but I checked out what ever unit he said and it was listed. I'm going to go to the atav site now to look for the classifed thing you mentioned. He said the other typical wanabe thing about losing all his freinds there..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Steve, You mentioned a transportation unit. I thought that it was those units that hauled supplies and troops, not a driver from an infantry HHC unit. That's why I'm waiting to hear from a contact I have who was with the 2/501 Inf. The 101st Abn did have transportation units attached, the 426th Supply & Service Batallion and the 5th Transportation Battalion. He has said that after he was evac'ed ( did he ever say why?) he went to a transportation bn. in or near Siagon. I don't know what to make of this guy.