The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2006, 04:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good idea Tom....I cant find this goober on the other site.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 04:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bob

If you go to www.atav.us and click on online chat messages thenlook for any thing that says Mike Benoit on it you should find him
Old 07-06-2006, 05:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
Found him and read a few of his posts. I know the Army can come up with many different varities of vehicles, but I always thought Reefers (John we're talking about refrigerated trucks) were connected to 5 ton trucks. I may be wrong. I led a sheltered life when it came to trucks in the engineers (lowboy's and flat beds).
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Wow !!

A 5 ton reefer ! How long did it take to smoke it and was it hard to light ?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Smoking time was all in the rolling technique. We found that an 8 man tent weighed in at approx 600 lbs. with about 200 lbs of rope (hemp) to hold it together. Spread out the tent. add 9200 lbs of your finest weed. then gather up about 20 of your best friends to tightly roll the tent. Bulldozer will work (do not use rome plows, it has a tendency to poke holes in the canvas). Next take the rope (hemp) and interlace around the tent until it is tight. Place the rolled tent on a lowboy trailer. light it with a flame thrower and enjoy.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 07-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bob

Reefers [thats refridgerated trailers for John] that I saw were trailers pulled by 5-ton tractors. We hauled them some times. I don't think you could have one on back of a duce in a half like this Mike says.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Truckers

Its kinda long so I didn't copy, some of it is interesting.
http://www.lic.eustis.army.mil/Viet_...iews/ellis.htm

Links to different types of trucks
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/transport/

Ron

A refer unit.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron

Good web site and I think the interviews were done through Ft Eustis. We weren't infrontry in Nam but still not a real comfortable place for the truckers. I read most of that guys interview but also found Wayne Chalker's on it. I've been in touch with Wayne for a few years and just saw him at our 585th reunion last week. They were interviewing Nam veterans there because the Iraq vets wanted to know what it was like for us in transportation. Also at the transportation museum at the fort the only surviving gun truck [the eve of distruction] was studied to help the army come up with the gun trucks now being used in Iraq.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:16 PM

Gosh. You know, we worked opcon to the 101st for 90 days in Operation Lamar Plain. To think those MF's got ice and kept it from us! I hope they froze their nuts off!!
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Mortardude, Sir!

Thank you for your reply. I too, do know all to well unfortunatly, about not being able to get online regularily. Bought a summervacation house just a few weeks ago, and it is in need of some "fixing up", besides also having to drive new furtniture down to it. (Located a 3 hour drive one way from were I live though, so it is not all that far away). Bad thing is that, we have no internet installed. Actually, no landline installed at all even. Only way of communication is a very shaky cellphone connection... Not even the television works yet....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1CAVCCO15MED, Sir!

Thank You!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Farnie, Sir!

F-i-n-a-l-l-y! I was beginning to wonder if the assn would ever set up a new forum. It has been a loooong time since the old forum was closed. Will check later tonight, after attending some duties here at work initially tonight. Thank You for giving me a "heads up" on this!

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B