The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default New Hampshire Man Arrested for Aprehending Burglar

A New Hampshire man who fired his handgun into the ground to scare an alleged burglar he caught crawling out of a neighbor's window is now facing a felony charge -- and the same potential prison sentence as the man he stopped.

Dennis Fleming, 61, of Farmington, was arrested for reckless conduct after the Saturday incident at his 19th century farmhouse. The single grandfather had returned home to find that his home had been burglarized and spotted Joseph Hebert, 27, climbing out of a window at a neighbor's home. Fleming said he yelled "Freeze!" before firing his gun into the ground, then held Hebert at gunpoint until police arrived.

"I didn't think I could handle this guy physically, so I fired into the ground," Fleming told FoxNews.com. "He stopped. He knew I was serious. I was angry … and I was worried that this guy was going to come after me."

No one was injured in the incident, but when the police arrived, they made two arrests. Hebert was charged with two counts of burglary and drug possession. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted. Fleming, meanwhile, is scheduled to be arraigned March 20 on a charge of reckless conduct, which could potentially land him a sentence similar to the one Hebert faces.

"I didn't know it was illegal [to fire into the ground], but I had to make that guy realize I was serious," Fleming said. "I've got a clean record. I really don't want to be convicted."

County Attorney Tom Velardi told Foster's Daily Democrat he will review the case and determine if the charge against Fleming is appropriate under the state statutes regarding self-defense and defense of property.

Fleming, meanwhile, is hoping to catch a break.

"I have 14 grandchildren, I don't want to be a felon and go to jail," he said. "I'm kind of wound up about it."

Fleming's collection of seven rifles and a .38-caliber handgun were seized by police. But Fleming said he's not entirely defenseless: "I've got a Louisville Slugger here, but I would call the police," he said.

Calls seeking comment from Farmington Police Department Chief Scott Roberge were not immediately returned.

Penny Dean, a spokeswoman for the Gun Owners of New Hampshire, said her organization is "absolutely outraged" by Fleming's arrest.

"This homeowner fired at the ground, from all accounts, in a safe direction and held a burglar for police and did things correctly," Dean told FoxNews.com. "The fact that this man would be charged is an outrage. Burglars in New Hampshire must know it's open season, since homeowners cannot defend themselves, as evidenced by this case. This is charging the victim."

Rick Pelkey, Fleming's longtime neighbor, said he's now worried how the "straight-forward, working-class guy" will pay legal fees associated with the arrest.

"I think it's outrageous," Pelkey told FoxNews.com. "He did the community a service here. We ought to thank him for it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...#ixzz1n3XHTVeS

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

If law-abiding Fleming ends up serving time for firing a warning shot & collering a burglar,
such a Stupidly Politically-Correct (a redundant oxymoron) or Nutty Judge should be hanged.

Fools deserve no better. Amen.

Neil
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

This country is turning into a Fascist state.

And it didn't start with Obama.

This kind of crap was going on BEFORE he took office.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

True enough, Rigger.

Still, and in only 3 years: "His Barackness" has obviously (sadly also) made most
national problems and concerns Quite Dangerously Worse.

Hope America will survive Obama's Dangerously Cavalier Dictates?

Well,...at least for the kids & grandkids anyway.

Neil
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

They decided not to pursue charges.

Darrel
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I wonder if he got his guns back.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Steve,

If legal, not hot, or not one of those: "Fast & Furious" thousands of weapons Quite DOJ Stupidly sold to Murderous Mexican Drug Cartels,...Why Not? Dennis hurt no one.

Besides, New Hampshire Law Enforcement can't possibly be as Politically-Correct Controlled (some believe greatly dictated by: "The Messiah") as The United States Department of Justice QUITE OBVIOUSLY is.

So then,...let's just chalk-up One for The Good Guys or NRA,...for-a-change.

Law-abiding Americans can't always be ones ending up on the short end of the stick.

Neil