The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Police/Fire/EMS

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2004, 05:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

williams...you have business on this thread or any other you chose to post on. Welcome aboard but what these guys some are rumored to be a little "Psyco"!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default W919

Sure, What do ya have to say? lets hear it.

Ron
Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Willie , good folks here
Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking DRT?

Dead Right There,

DOA was our term. (Dead on Arrival)

I like the DRT term. Kinda says it all.

Hope your day went well.

Keith
Old 01-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Keith

DOA usually means the person died upon arrival at Hospital, Witch is from paramedic assist.
DRT means when we arrived the body was hear and the head was over there.
I have a agrgument with the ambulance people all the time about giving fluids to someone that has or is loosing a lot of blood. Fluid has no red blood cells, which means what you do is sufficat the patient due to insafisant O-2 transfer. Its way better to load and go, The body will shut down on its own when it looses a lot of blood. Kind of a self induced comma. When you replace the blood and oxegnate it, TA-DA the comma ends. You have to be withing about 4-10 min from getting blood and have the means to close the wound. So giving someone D-5 or rinngers isn't going to help them and in fact most likely will kill them, Hence the paramedic assist lable.

Ron
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron,

The one time I got really angry on a call with a another medic. I had called in a DRT (DOA we used it as both, DOA on our arrival or when transporting the Emergency Room personal would use it as DOA also) This kid had flipped his car on an icy road been thrown out and the car had landed on top of him. His head was crushed, brain material everywhere, bleeding like a stuck hog no signs of life whatsoever. Since the kids car was loaded with other kids, my partner and I started triaging. Then this ambulance arrived from another Fire District and this woman EMT started CPR on this obviously dead kid. The Paramedics had to haul him into the hospital and intobate him and it was sloppy of course the Emergency Rm Docs called him DOA. This this *#@*&^%$ lady filed charges against us and the Paramedics and we had to undergo an investigation. She said we should have started with this obviously dead kid. Fortunately the investigation back us up. With as much blood loss that kid had and a flattened skull, you couldn't have saved him if the accident happened in front of the hospital. What a fruitcake.

Keith
Old 01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Kieth

One time we had a car fire with trapped person. we get there and the car is burning from top to bottom and front to back, I open the door and find there is someone inside, I grab the person and lay it on the ground, Black charcoal from head to foot. there was someone standing by that seen a bubble come from its mouth. I checked and sure enough it would breath once every 15 second or so. The person was yelling at us to do CPR, I told my guys no don't start, The burned person had no mouth or nose or eyes, skin was falling off, I told the person to stand back and then she got loud yelling that we should start CPR. I called for PD and they halled her off, Interfearing with a fireman in the line of duty. EMS review board wouldn't even listen to her complant. Said the disission that was made in the field was the correct one.
Bystanders watch to much TV when it comes to bringing people back to life, on TV its the norm, in real life it hadley ever happens. TV makes my job harder because of the expectations that we can do stuff that can't be done.

Ron
Old 01-22-2004, 06:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Went to my advanced officer course in75 with a guy who had his face and both ears burned off in a crash in RVN. Thank all you guys who pick us up.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:03 PM

Thanks Catman. I just don't want to get in an area where the people don't feel the Front Line on the Mexican Border aren't welcome.
I read athread the other day about problems with INS and Border Patrol. Made me feel good since I am Customs. But then with Home Land Security evolving, INS, Border Patrol and Customs will soon be one big CLUSTER.
Thanks Again
God Bless
Willie
Old 01-23-2004, 03:02 AM

Willie,

First off : WELCOME ABOARD !!!!!!!

The next time you are on here click onto Polotical Debate. There is a post there about " Pissed Off Border Patrol ".

I am sure you can add to it being you are there first hand instead of reading about it all the time.

enough...........