The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2004, 07:27 PM

Default dining out

Hello everyone,
Nothing like another wonderful over worked over stressed air force week (hahaha). Anyways hope you all been well, but i'm putting you to work. I was voluntold to go to the maintenance groups dining out honestly i kinda wanted to go. Gives me an excuse to look like my dashingly james dean handsom self in nice clothes (quit laughin at me). But i was just wondering if anyone ever attended any of these things and what are they like...also someone want to explain the grog bowl my LT just keeps saying "oh you'll find out" and chuckles.
Thanks
Greg
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 08:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

The only grog I ever had was rum on a limey distroyer they called their rum ration Grog.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Grog, which is a mixture of water and spirits, wasn't necessarily made with rum. It's more a generic term since they would make grog with whatever booze was available to them. On a long voyage, they'd start with gin, then pick up some rum in the West Indies, or Madeira wine in Spain or Portugal, etc.

Grog made with rum and water, besides being called grog, was also called a "rummer".
Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM

Are you sure this is a dining OUT? If it is there will not be a grog bowl. Those are ONLY for dining IN. We have a reputation to uphold and that is not one of a falling down drunk...at least to outsiders anyway. ;-)

The grogs I saw at my dining ins were basically a mixture of several types of alcohol and served from a brand new clean toilet bowl.
One is sent to the "Drink from the Grog" when one breaks the rules of the mess. And of course there are so many rules that one is bound to break one of them.
When sent to the Grog, you must march in straight lines making sharp military turns, salute the officers of the mess and ask permission to drink. Lift your glass to your mouth while holding your arm perpendicular to the floor.
Needless to say after a few trips to the bowl, you are bound to become a bit of a mess.

One of the best looking uniforms is the Air Force Mess Dress! Sorry I just really have a thing for a man in uniform. The first time I saw my hubby in his Navy Blues... oh man! 6'4" 155 lbs, broad shoulders, narrow waist. He looked just like a recruiting poster!

Okay, gotta go before I hurt myself.

Have fun!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-30-2004, 05:56 PM

hello,
Ya dining in thats it lol sorry bout thatnever read the ticket. Anyways I even went out and bought those bates that you shine with windex. They look like glass its so awesome Im excited.
Greg
Old 03-30-2004, 06:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

OK...how do u know the origin of said toilet bowl...shazam.. LOL.

the sickest I was ever in my life when alcohol was involved was when my wife made me mad about 6 months after I met here ( not sure what it was about ) and I went thru my buddy's antique miniature hard liquor bottles ( without his knowledge ) and mixed maybe 10 different kinds together...I was blind-puking-drunk-sick for days....so be very, very careful.... ( true story )

Larry
Old 03-31-2004, 04:06 PM

Larry,

A true lady never reveals her secrets. Guess ol'Victoria isn't a real lady then!

Have fun MM, just you mind...be careful and dont drink and drive!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan