The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Legislation

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Oklahoma does not support veterans

FYI
Only Senator Inhofe has "military" background, as a reservist back when the reserve was a means not to ruin your career and still avoid risking your neck for your country.
Senators Inhofe and Coburn have consistently opposed any and all leglislation benefitting veterans.
The GI Bill 2008 was supported by Inhofe at the 11th hour, I think due to lots of pissed off veterans.

Bottom line is that Oklahoma's folks in Washington are all chickenhawk, moneygrubbing scum that don't give a crap about veterans, OR active duty heroes. Just so you know, we Okies don't support public education either and it shows. I can say this, I was born and raised here.

Our idea of supporting veterans, and this is based on a response from my State representative, consists of naming bridges and highways after fallen heroes. And many of the bridges are about to collapse. Nothing more concrete is being considered.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:28 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service Marine. Oklahoma does not support veterans. Whoa Marine, strong words. I'm not born and raised here. But have been here for thirty years. I'm a survivor of two Vietnam Veterans. Husband and bro. I'll have to disagree with you on the words "Oklahoma does not support veterans". Oklahoma is not just government bureaucracy . Oklahoma is people, good people, like you and me. My experience here has provided me no evidence that those good people don't support active duty and veterans with the exception of those that have no one to talk to except the editors of newspapers. Have you missed all the funerals of fallen hero’s coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan? Where Oklahomans stand shoulder to shoulder along the streets with flags flying and hands over their hearts to say they care and thank you to the fallen and their families. The efforts of Blue Star Mothers that work, organize and coordinate events to gather necessary items to send to active duty military serving all over this planet? Have you missed the flags flown all over this state in cities and especially rural areas where no one sees it but those that pass on the highways and byways. Every day Oklahoman's saying thank you every day by raising those flags in the morning and taking them down at night.

Although I’m not writing this post to run defense for Jim Inhofe and his votes for or against veterans legislation. He’s a big boy. My brother and friend Griz (combat engineer Vietnam) post here, has taught me to slow down with my knee jerk reactions on regard to a no vote because many times a no vote is not about the Veteran but everything else that is in the dog pile piece of legislation. Below is a link to what he has voted for regard Veterans. I haven’t gone over all of it but you might want to check it out.

I agree with you that our educational system has let the good folks of Oklahoma down. Maybe that is why they drag their feet on legislation believing that the money is just going to be thrown away on administrators income. I’m blessed to have been educated out of the state except for a few years of upper level classes taught by poor instructors with the exception of business and tech classes.

I appreciate seeing those bridges and roads as memorials to those that have served. Wishing you all the best. Arrow

http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=KeyIssues.View&Issue_id=7276ebcd-802a-23ad-487a-02420b0d2c49&CFID=841588&CFTOKEN=14848269

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."

Last edited by Arrow; 02-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb

Patriot Guard Oklahoma

http://pgrok.com/

I hope you will take time to read the letters from family members of the fallen.

Arrow

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Don't know if you have visted this website but if not give it a try. Think you'll be encouraged there.

http://www.onemarinesview.com/

Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Default Thanks Arrow,

I have no beef with my fellow Okies, just our leaders. In fact, I get little holliday cards made with card stock and crayola from one of our elementary schools in Jenks, that somehow got my name.

I just get soundly rebuffed anytime I lobby for veterans issues, either at the State or Federal level. Been doing it for years. I spend lots of hours each week on behalf of Marines. But I'm pretty disgusted with our leaders here, and in Washington, both Democrats and Republicans. I'd just as soon boot the whole bunch of professional politicans out.

If you're ever in Tulsa, look me up, I'll buy you a drink or two.

Vance
Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb

Well I can't argue that they are professional high rollin' politicians on both sides of the isle that are destroying this country and our way of life with their greed, schemes, five years plans and new deals. It would not hurt my feelings to see them all booted out! Thank you for your offer Marine it was very kind of you. However, I'm betting you would not want your wife of thirty seven years meeting with a man (or woman for that matter) from the internet unless they were known and vetted by you, your family, the ATF,FBI, CIA, DOD, throwing in Naval Intel for good measure. My family including my brothers on this site feel the same about this 65 year old Grandma. In fact I have no doubt they would cart me off to the looney bin.

Arrow

Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Sis-

Went ahead and checked out the loony bin just in case. Ain't so bad. I'll save a seat.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Lightbulb Doc...

I'll be in good company!