The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2005, 05:03 PM

Smile Civil War bugler first to play taps

Erie County bugler remembered as first to play taps

May 29, 2005

ERIE, PA. | As Americans gather this Memorial Day weekend to honor veterans killed in action, historians and veterans in Erie County are remembering the Civil War bugler credited with being the first to play taps ? the solemn song played over military graves to this day.

Oliver Willcox Norton was a 22-year-old bugler for the 83rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Brigade when he first played taps one night in July 1862.

Union Gen. Daniel Butterfield summoned Norton, a schoolteacher who lived in West Springfield Township at the time, to his tent to play a tune the general had adapted from another bugle call. Butterfield wanted a new song to replace the army's ''Lights Out'' tune, and coached Norton to play longer and shorter notes until settling on the 24-note taps.

''There are two pieces that really stir the hearts and emotions of Americans: One is the 'Star Spangled Banner' and the other is taps,'' said Jari Villanueva, an expert on brass musical history who has researched the song's origin. ''It's part of our American culture.''

Although the song didn't become an official bugle call until after the war, it resonated with the troops and there are historical records that the song was widely played in both Union and Confederate camps. Today, eligible veterans, by law, can receive full military honors which include the presentation of a United States burial flag and the playing of taps.

Bugler Don Grumblatt, 78, of Erie, was scheduled to play taps in at least five Memorial Day celebrations over the weekend. He said the song gives people a sense of closure about death.

''As long as I can do it, and I can do it well, I'll keep playing,'' said Grumblatt, a veteran of World War II and the Korean War. ''It's a tradition.''

Dan Cyparski, 58, commander of American Legion East Erie Post 771, said the song makes the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

''I associate it with myself, being a Vietnam veteran and the friends that I made and lost,'' Cyparski said. ''You really have to be a veteran for taps to really mean something.''

But local historians say Norton deserves to be remembered for more than just taps.

Norton served under Col. Strong Vincent, an Erie icon, and was with the Civil War hero when he was fatally wounded in the battle of Little Round Top.

Norton wrote two books about Vincent and the 83rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and argued for Vincent's heroism. President Lincoln promoted Vincent posthumously to brigadier general.

''We owe a great deal of debt to Norton,'' said George Deutsch, the founder of Erie's Civil War Roundtable.

Norton eventually moved to New York City and Chicago, and became a millionaire after helping to form the American Can Co.

Norton donated much of his wealth to various projects in Chautauqua County, N.Y., where his sister lived, including Norton Hall, a concert venue that opened in 1929, Deutsch said. (AP)